Deliver Us The Moon

I played through it over the weekend and I’d have to say that I liked it but didn’t love it. I liked the experience, the ambience, the mood. But it never really seemed to find its own identity - I kept being reminded of other works while I was playing it, movies like Interstellar and Gravity (which they’ve cited as influences during development) and then, you know, Moon. As for other games, it plays much like Tacoma and The Station as far as following in the footsteps of ghosts (not literally, but might as well be) and uncovering the mystery behind the entire situation.

None of that is bad, in my opinion, it just never really felt like the game stepped out of the shadow of those works. Certainly not a waste of time to play but then again, I’m not sorry I waited for Game Pass to carry it either. There weren’t really any difficult puzzles but there were more than your average walking simulator contains. Some fun action moments, racing between oxygen tanks to your next checkpoint, but some dumb ones too. I don’t know how many times I redid the puzzle to restart life support in the space station because I had to dodge these electrified cables and hitting one would bounce me back into another one and two hits = death. Some weird Donkey Kong platforming toward the end too.

Still, a net positive in my opinion. I’m hopeful these guys have more cool stuff on the way.