Dell monitors

Anyone have a recent usable Dell monitor coupon for a flatpanel? May be in need of another soon.

http://slickdeals.net/#p7183 – 2005FPW for $354.

Not as nice as the 2001FP that I got for ~$400 last week, though. :>

Not as nice as the 2001FP that I got for ~$400 last week, though. :>

What? The 2005fpw deal is better…

awesome, I’ve been waiting for that price to dip below 400 for at least 2 months.

I prefer the higher resolution of the 2001FP. The 2005FPW has 80 more pixels of horizontal resolution, but 150 fewer vertically.

Yeah but widescreen is sex.

Holy shitboners!

Just got meself one of those. Next day shipping too, so I’ll have it in time for the weekend!

So you’re claiming that you can tell the difference between 1,920,000 pixels and 1,764,000 pixels?

I say you can’t.

btw - anyone whos got one of these; does it come with a DVI cable?

So you’re claiming that you can tell the difference between 1,920,000 pixels and 1,764,000 pixels?

I say you can’t.

It’s the dimensions that matter. Most Web sites are fluid horizontally but not vertically, which means losing 150 vertical pixels shows up as cropped Web sites, and losing 80 pixels in the horizontal direction means slightly more squished columns.

Sure I can. The former is three 80x24 xterms vertically with enough room left over for the menu bar at the top and the window bar at the bottom. The latter isn’t.

The 2001FP does. I don’t know about the 2005FPW for sure, but I’d be amazed if it didn’t.

I’m pretty sure it did, as I didn’t have one of my own already when I got mine.

All I can say about the widescreen doubters is that you guys are square.

Also, that crazy theory about web sites is bogus. We all surfed on 1024x768 monitors for years without thinking it was too small vertically. Also, if you’re really crazy about this, then just turn the 2005 90 degrees. You will get the tallest motherfooping monitor you’ve ever seen in your goshdangled life!

I’ve got nothing against wide screens. Compared to the 2001, however, the 2005 isn’t wide–it’s short. It doesn’t offer any significant increase in horizontal resolution, while reducing vertical resolution.

The 2005 is physically wider, of course, but I’m more interested in resolution than size. How much information I can readably pack on one screen is mainly a function of resolution.

Now, if I was mainly interested in a monitor for gaming purposes, I’d probably want something with less resolution so that I could run games at the display’s native resolution without killing framerates.

I ran HL2 at full detail in 1680x1050 with great framerates.

Have you even used a widescreen monitor for any length of time? At least a few weeks?

Completely related question:

The resolution of 1680x1050 isn’t appearing in my WoW or desktop options. I’m using a 6800GT with latest drivers, any ideas?

Try going to the device manager and deleting the monitor, then reboot. That way, the plug n’ play crap will re-detect the monitor and its capabilities.

Well I’m not on the widescreen yet, though this monitor supports many resolutions that are technically widescreen. Guess I’ll just have to order the thing and see when it gets here =d

Oh, well, you aren’t going to see the resolution available until the monitor tells the video card that it’s available.