Dell monitors

Don’t suppose anyone is sitting on one of the $35 coupons themselves? I despise the practice of buying said coupons off of E-Bay.

How worthwhile would it be to hook an x360 up to one of these? I presume that I’d have to get some sort of VGA adapter since the x360 doesn’t support DVI, right?

The Gateway analogue of this monitor has component input I believe, but I have no idea how it’s scaler is nor if it ever goes on sale for a similar price.

I really have no need for this (I have a 21" CRT that is working just fine), but am sorely tempted. I need to move out of the frame of mind where spending “just $350+” is okay on something that really isn’t that big an upgrade (I do not need the flat panel for space reasons, and it’s only a few more inches of screen).

So after plugging this monitor in my nVidia drivers asked if it supports HDTV resolutions and warned me that if it doesn’t saying yes could potentially fry it.

I searched the product documentation that came with the monitor and couldn’t find it - all I seem to have recieved was a quick start card and a thick ass warranty bundle.

So is it safe for me to say yes? I don’t want to nuke my oh-so-gorgeous new monitor.

I just ordered one of these last night, cant wait for it.

The 2405fpw supports component-in and 1080i or 720p HD resolutions. The 2005fpw could possibly support 720p, but I imagine you’d have to hook it up via S-Video, which would likely suck.

Unless you’re using a tuner card for the input, I wouldn’t bother with HD resolution within windows, because it’s a moot point, you’ll be switching the monitor display input out of windows.

I have been eyeing this deal for couple months
Dell Dimension 9150 Desktop 24in LCD $1199 shipped free it comes and goes - the monitor
24 inch UltraSharp™ 2405FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel sells for around $850 byitself I have a samsung 955 sycnmaster df (crt) its pretty good but i want to upgrade :)

Leos: be aware that the 24" monitor will require a beast of a video card to run it at its native resolution.

It scales in gaming extremely well. I tend to play in 1680x1050 on my 2405fpw, but even when I had to knock FEAR down to 1024x768 I couldn’t detect any visual degradation due to scaling issues. Looked great. Nonetheless, you do want a beast of a card to push this mutha.

thanks for the warning. currently I have Radeon 8500 with 128 mb. Do you think its going to be enough ?

Hey jafd, find the CD that came with it - it’s your user’s manual (which is sort of retarded for a monitor’s manual). Either way, the 2005 does DVI (and, of course, VGA) as well as S and composite. You can get a TV tuner when the Hell ever, but you can get cable feed from PiP by running cable into a VCR/DVD player and then S or composite out into the monitor, and run sound through your sound card (just buy a digital audio convertor or stereo cable to minipin convertor and plug it into the respective jack on your card and enable it).

Hey jafd, find the CD that came with it - it’s your user’s manual (which is sort of retarded for a monitor’s manual). Either way, the 2005 does DVI (and, of course, VGA) as well as S and composite. You can get a TV tuner when the Hell ever, but you can get cable feed from PiP by running cable into a VCR/DVD player and then S or composite out into the monitor, and run sound through your sound card (just buy a digital audio convertor or stereo cable to minipin convertor and plug it into the respective jack on your card and enable it).

Don’t enable the HDTV resolutions unless you’re connected to an HDTV. As simple as that.

Probably not even close. My 6600GT chugs a bit when I run WoW on the 20" monitor, so I can’t imagine your much older Radeon would do anything but the same on the 24".

For Canadians looking for an LCD monitor, Dell Canada has an amazing one day only deal today:

• the 2005fpw widescreen for c.$499
  • the big-ass 24" widescreen 2405 fpw for $849

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

Just got my monitor. Very nice. Much better than the CRT I had before.

I use the Gateway 21 with my pc/360 and it works great. I use the 2005fpw on my Mac and like it too.

I am amazed at how it looks. Civ 4 and Half-Life 2 are both just amazing.

Any coupons or deals on these floating around? I want to upgrade my measily 17" LCD and have read nothing but good about the Dells.

Thanks.