Demigod schulde

A monster after Gene Simmons’ own heart.

Just looked at the site, this looks really interesting. Also I second Evilidler for that whatever the hell that thing is. How important is your demigod to fighting? Is it like SupCom that if it is killed the match is over, or is it like Warcraft 3 where it’s important but your army can make do without it if need be.

I want to hear more about the resources and resource gathering, the units (Are there factions? Does each god have his own army type?), the buildings if there are any, unit production, and most of all, gods that – unlike the Rook – are blessed with powers more detailed and nuanced than “has lots of weapons.”

There’s a lot of tweaking going on right now before the first beta, so I’m not totally current on the current state of everything. But to answer some questions, your Demigod is critical as either an offensive unit itself or as more of an “influencer” over the battle. It can die and respawn as many times as need be so long as the match is still going on, but if you’re constantly dying, you’re going to lose the match.

Each Demigod plays quite differently. Think of it like an RPG, where some are fighters, some are tanks, some are healers, some are DPS mages. Some mix it up, others need to kind of circle the battlefield, avoiding direct fire or attacks.

Also like an RPG, Demigods level up, get more abilities/spells, and you can buy items that give you additional buffs or abilities.

That sounds pretty cool Steve, I was looking at the features of having an assassin demigod and a general demigod. Is the gameplay different between them or just attack strategies?

On the site it mentions that you have a barracks for building troops, and a portal that will send in troops, what is the difference of using one over the other?

I’m not 100% sure where the design is going right now with this—and honestly, I haven’t played the game in a couple of months—but the gameplay mechanics were similar; control the Demigod, keep them out of trouble (or send them into trouble), cast spells or use abilities, etc. Generals just had additional troops to issue simple orders to.

On the site it mentions that you have a barracks for building troops, and a portal that will send in troops, what is the difference of using one over the other?

Units summoned via the barracks are under your control, unlike the ones that automatically stream from the portal. But I know this aspect of the game is going through design revision right now as previously, barracks were only available to Generals.

If anyone wants to see Demigod in action, Gamespot has the trailer. It’s all in-game footage, with post-processing just to make it look more trailer-y.

The animations are pretty damn good, and the post processing effects really help to make the game look exciting. In contrast, the Champions Online trailer looks positively boring because all they do is just stand there and attack.

That’s a totally sweet trailer. I know very little about the game, but that trailer gives it a strong next-gen Giants vibe. Assuming it meets the February schulde, put me down as psyched for February to roll around.

Stebu, are you working on Demigod or can you say?

-Tom

what kind of system specs are we looking at?

This sounds a lot like the first Spellforce (that’s a good thing). There’s certainly enough differences here to make it a whole new game, but it’s definitely the “RPG type character with growing powers thrown into an RTS fight” concept seen in that game.

'Course there seems to be a different take on the Hero unit itself. In that it is more powerful, and thus has greater effect on the battles. But also less important, in that it can die and the game isn’t automatically lost.

Can’t wait for this updated take on it. Especially since this is coming from Stardock (and me being a massive Galciv 2 fanboy, though I’m ashamed to say I haven’t gotten to Sins yet). Who should do the concept more justice than whomever created the abomination that was Spellforce 2.

The game’s performance is absolutely fantastic. I ran the latest build on my machine (that sort of crumbled with SC: Forged Alliance) with all settings maxed at 1920x1200 at 30fps+.

I mean, my system is no slouch, being a Core 2 Quad and 8800GTS but being able to run at max, 4x FSAA, and a very nice framerate at a resolution that size should show the kind of performance improvements made to the Supreme Commander engine even at this early a stage.

Compared to Supreme Commander, it has fewer units and projectiles being tracked at any given time so performance is similar or better than Forged Alliance despite its better visuals. Like SupCom, multi-core systems are better than single cores, and a fast CPU can offset a somewhat middling videocard.

I helped with some marketing and PR stuff earlier this year before Stardock came on board, but I’m working on other things right now.

I’m not a fan of RTS games, only one I’ve played in years is BfME 2, but I’ll definitely pick this up based on that trailer.

That trailer gave me a strong Sacrifice vibe. I hope that’s accurate.

This game will really need STOP – HAMMERTIME mini expansions with tons of different demigod skins if the trailer is anything to go by.

Even more so if multiplayer is going to be a major part of the game. No one wants their super special pwnbot demigod to look exactly like someone else’s. It’d be mortifying!

My total is total garbage. 2.8 GHZ (dual core), 3 gig RAM, 7600gt.

Yea, the hardware requirements on Demigod are far less than Supreme Commander and such. Smaller scale and less physics to keep track of.

It’s kind of like in Sins of a Solar Empire - the ships in Sins don’t have individual, moveable turrets. And some people complained about this but that is what makes the difference between a game with low hardware requirements and one with significantly more. It’s often little decisions that make a big difference.

WHY CAN"T MY TURRETS MOVE!!!

-Quitch