Demigod: The Strategy Thread

Yeah, the Teleportation Amulet is a favorite of mine as well. It seems borderline abusive in some cases. For instance, using it on the large Mandala and Brothers maps as the Rook. It just doesn’t seem very balanced that he can jump around at will every 45 seconds (I’m pretty sure it’s not 25 seconds, Ben, but I could be wrong). Particularly on Brothers where there are important flags placed so far apart from each other.

But I suppose that’s why there’s a setting for switching off favor items.

-Tom

This is more of a map strategy.

For Zikurat, and I can’t stress this enough, GET THE SIDE MONEY FLAGS. You need to push through some towers but so many players neglect to defend over there that it shouldn’t be too hard. I just won a game where we were levels 11-13 and they were 13-20 and we absolutely stomped them. And the best thing about it was all it took was one person (me in this case) smashing through the sides while the rest of my team ran around distracting them grabbing the 2 inner flags. Many of us were able to afford 2 artifacts in addition to max citadel upgrades.

I also let them have the portals at the beginning because it gives us more mobs to attack for XP.

The +10% experience favor item is pretty good.

I’ll put in a good word for Ooze as well. The damage that it inflicts to the opponent is really large at high levels and it’s independent of your attacks, so it’s great for chasing enemy demigods down.

So I’ve only done a little messing around with Generals–a game or two as Sedna and Oak, and one with the Queen. Maybe someone who plays them more can confirm this, but there seems to be advantages in limiting the number of minions you have. It’s hard to suppress that RTS reflex to “push for the unit cap,” but since Demigod is a game of tradeoffs, it seems like there are valid ways to play the Generals that don’t involve (or even preclude) fielding lots of units. I tried a Sedna game in which I only took healers, for instance, and did pretty well.

Tips for folks having trouble with the Torchbearer: he’s a glass cannon, and you really need to get some levels under you belt to survive. One way to do this is to avoid enemy demigods at the very start of the game, and go after their reinforcements instead. This can earn you some fast levels (especially early on), since even a level 1 Torchbearer is great at mowing down swaths of reinforcements with his AoE spells. Speed items are great for getting him out of danger (I usually take the movement belt favor item with him), and he can use all the mana you can feed him.

He’s good at taking down structures. Not as good as the Rook, but pretty close. He can shoot his fireball from outside of a tower’s range, then run in and drop a Ring of Fire (and a nova, if you have it) on it, and then run back out of the tower’s range and fireball again. This wears them down pretty quickly without ever putting you in real danger (you’ll lose some health when you run in, but you can drink a potion once you are safely out of range again). The ring of fire will take care of any reinforcements that come to fight you, but if an enemy demigod shows up, you’ll have to pull back.

Ok, but what are the advantages of limiting the number of minions? You just mean you’d rather spend the money on something else (balance of resources being the decision you’re making with every aspect of the game, not just minions), or is there some specific reason you’d want to limit your minions?

Played the Rook exclusively so far and have a decent build - I emphasize tower of power, with some mana and speed boost items… What’s key in this, i learned is to ensure the tower upgrades for your side are purchased. Level 1 towers aren’t that good, but by the time you get to level 6, it’s pretty solid. The mana lets you lay down a bunch of them without going oom, and speed helps to retreat behind your tower perimeter when you need to. The speed boost is pretty essential to avoid getting chased down, as you can retreat fast enough behind your towers to ensure opponenets don’t chase you too far. I never use the teleport item, getting the speed boost one instead, and using scrolls for teleport (30s cd).

My Regulus build is Angelic Fury/Stat boosts/Range upgrades. Absolutely destroys melee demigods and towers, in the one Qt3 match I’ve played I had 8 kills and 0 deaths.

I’m just trying to figure this game out. I’m growing very frustrated by not being able to spend time reading what stuff is while in the middle of the battle. This game seriously needs an off-line manual for looking at all the items you can purchase or upgrade.

I don’t get inventory at all.

I see people saying you can “stack”, well, I just keep getting ‘inventory full’ or ‘you already have that item’ so can’t figure out how to stack. When I go to buy stuff, why is everything red when I have the gold? Do I have to sell a lower value item to buy a larger value item?

My one complaint is health needs to be more prominent, it’s off the viewing angle … I don’t look down when I’m attacking and the audio queue for getting low is already too late.

I’ve only tried Regulas and UB so far, Regulas I like, UB racks up a lot of damage, although I don’t see what ooze does. There is no “attack” that I can see. I die a LOT with UB. And what is it with him losing 20pts every few seconds? by the time I get to the front lines, I’m already down to 80%, although he seems to regen while in fights.

I can tell you that I’ll probably never play MP as it will take me a year to figure this game out, but I’m enjoying skirmishing and look forward to COOP against AI’s with friends.

Reading forums and posts of strategy is really frustrating b/c I don’t understand half of what is being said and that’s pretty sad when I’ve been playing it for 4-5 hours today.

You have a certain amount of inventory slots for equipment and a certain amount for useable items like potions. When you open up the store you can see your inventory on the left screen that pops up. If you’re getting an inventory full message that means if you look on your inventory screen all your available slots are filled. If items are red on the buy screen and you have the gold that means you have no available inventory slots.

What people mean by the ability to stack is you can wear like 4 helmets or 4 armors, the item placement being more of an indication what stat is affected - helmet mana, armor is health and armor etc. Though you can of course still fill up your inventory slots.

I don’t know if this helps, or is just restating the obvious, or maybe is completely illegible. My Photoshop skills have atrophied even from their original mediocre level.

To further clarify, you can have more than one hat, but you can only have one of a specific hat. Or gloves, for instance. You could equip the Gauntlets of Brutality, Gladiator Gloves, Gauntlets of Despair, Gloves of Fell-Darkur, and Doomspite Grips all at once, but you could never have two Gauntlets of Brutality at once. Consumables, in the top tab, are the only things you can have more than one of the identical item purchased.

And for generals there’s a final tab below the rings which has their different summoning thingies. I forget what they’re called. Altars, or totems, or employment offices, or something. As far as I can tell, each of the four generals has the same 12 identical summoning thingies available. Four levels each of the three different types of units: melee, ranged, and priests. You can have one of each equipped at a time (not to be confused with the actual number of units summoned), so if you want to upgrade from level 3 ranged units to level 4, you have to sell (right-click) the level 3 thing you bought and then buy the level 4 thingy. These have their own special slots in the left panel and don’t conflict with other items. They also don’t affect or conflict with a general’s specific summonable creatures, like the shamblers the plant chick can summon. Those are the result of a skill she selects which in no way affects inventory/purchasing decisions.

All hats. That makes me chuckle.

Been playing a LOT as the Oak and am finally starting to have fun with him.

If anyone remembers the Warcraft 3 AOS-alike “The Great Strategy,” my favorite tactic was picking Malfurion (Super slow, med. HP, high damage, slow attack, ungodly amounts of mana) and buying ONLY summon skills and auras (Command aura for + damage, + an attack speed aura, and then summon bears, wolves, and hawks), then basically running around the map with my own personal, summoned, auraed army that could surround and kill most other players in 2-3 seconds, plus did sick damage vs. towers.

So, the Oak appealed to me in being similar: his mana is lower, to be sure, but he’s got a great attack and tons of fun “helping the minions and reinforcement” type skills that I have really, really enjoyed playing with, but I still need to refine it some more.

As it is, I mostly take points in the Flag of Revival or whatever skill (Lets you put down flags to revive dead units as flying attack Spirits; more flags and spirits for each point), Morale (improves the power of your Minions and Spirits), and his skill that heals everyone around you everytime you kill an enemy. . . eventually I also pull in the wave-damage skill (Damages all nearby enemies, heals all nearby allies).

Then, it’s a matter of keeping my move-speed, mana-regen, and minions all up-to-date. I generally stand back of the battle, only moving into AoE damage/heal or pick off near-dead enemies to give a group-heal. Otherwise, I let my minions and Spirits do the talking. Dropping flags on each lane as I move out of the base is especially helpful, because the Spirits from each will automatically move toward me as they are born.

I need to focus more on either HP/Armor or Movespeed, though, because I have a nasty problem of dying very fast when fast-moving Assassins outflank my minion shield and start pounding on me; TB’s got a sick fireball-type move that can peel off 850 HP in the end-game, and that decimates my poor Oak.

Any suggestions for this sort of build? It’s my favorite way to play AoSes :)

I can’t be the only one imagining General Oak wearing a bunch of hats all over his body. Bristling with hats in fact.

Is favor earned per-demigod, or per-account? If I build up a lot of favor as Unclean Beast, and then switch to Oak, am I not going to be able to buy anything?

If it’s per demigod, that’s kind of a bummer. It really encourages you to play a single demigod, rather than experimenting or planning with your team.

I thought favor was the “gamer score” you accumulate in the noted amounts for the Achievements you can view from the main screen. The Achievements are per demigod, but the accumulated points are per account, so you could go a long way with a single demigod, but you’d eventually need to switch to maximize Achievement points.

But now I’m not certain of that, because my favor went up after a match but I don’t think I got any new Achievements. And this is all still offline skirmishes, so I don’t know how it applies online.

I’ve been playing awhile now, as much multiplayer as I can get to load. Which isn’t much, but about 4 or 5 long games.

The Torch Bearer is a damage god. Especially as fire. Don’t worry about him being a glass cannon… You’ll die a lot until about level 4 or 5 five when you get your third fire power. Then you can power level yourself by walking into the middle of huge groups of minions and burning the place down. Once you can do that, take that gold, and buy some armor and other items with big armor plusses. You’ll be a walking damage machine.

I find I like playing the Oak more than I’m good with him, but he’s a LOT of fun. He’s a strange one. I’ve found if I take his +health to everyone on kills and focus on killing minions instead of directly attacking gods, my army will stay alive forever. They just slowly grind you down.

What do people think so far? I’m pretty enamored myself. The change up is pretty damn sweet.

you weakling oaks amuse me… nobody else plays crazy damage oak? I get 1 level of the heal on kills, max out penitence asap, followed by the holy strength and its related summoning skill. eventually work in the aoe nuke/+atk +mov speed

Without really +damage items, you can do 400 damage a hit and attack quickly just with oak’s base powers… allowing you to focus on attack speed stacking to shred through people.

Almost any large level/character I will get the heart item, the out of combat healing is great… it heals you faster than the fountain would, from anywhere on the map. unclean beast with plague is not your friend though (annoying -10 ticks seemingly forever).

Heart may not make you tougher in combat, but it does make sure you go into combat fully loaded. Many of the Demigods are very tough to kill at max mana, whether its due to sheer burst damage or mana shields/escapes. It’s rare that one goes from full to empty without being able to respond.

It seems to be given out based on the awards you get at the end of a match - most kills, winning team, participant slacker, most gold, most captures, etc.

Brad? Clarify, please.

I had a good time playing Oak last night as a pure general. The only ability I had to worry about was planting my raise dead flag. I put skill points into the raise dead flag, the heal on kills ability and the one that increases your weapon skill for the number of spirits you have. It was great practice for managing creeps. I would often use them as fodder to help screen my retreats by sending them off to hold off whoever was trying to kill me.

Questions:

When you upgrade reinforcements at the citadel, do those upgrades work on your personal minions as well?

Does anyone have any tips for picking out targets in a large battle? It is hard enough to keep track of where I am in a big scrum, but selecting someone like the vampire lord in a crowd is near impossible.

Does anyone have tips for fighting against the vampire lord in particular? In a game last night there was a vampire with 40 kills and 2 deaths. I don’t really know how he was doing it, but whatever it was I want it to stop.

Is there a replay function in the game?