Democrats asked to back Bush if they want to see Cheney

[/quote]
Odd choice of words. Who are they letting in if not Americans, Saudis?

All the Americans were outsourced and as such can’t attend Bush-Cheney events. Sorry.

This is nothing new: in 1992, the elder Bush came to speak at Penn State. Only a handful of students (the campus republicans) were allowed to see the speech. The rest of the 10,000 or so people that saw him talk were bumpkins shipped in from all over the state. I have never quite seen a redneck convention like that since…

That being said, I doubt the democrats are any better. At least you could see the dick speak if you signed a loyalty oath, certain to be used against you in the future, but hey that’s what you get for putting your expectations ahead of your common sense…

“That being said, I doubt the democrats are any better.”

Not true. Apparently to get into Clinton 96 campaign events all you needed was to sign your name.

well in the news today some bush supporters were chanting “four more years” with megaphones at kerry and theresa.

“They want four more years of hell,” Heinz Kerry tells the crowd in Milwaukee on Monday.

The crowd reacts with a roar of approval and laughter.

Those on stage, including John Kerry, also laugh.

The crowd then starts chanting, “Three more months, three more months,” referring to the Bush administration.

the megaphones part i heard on cable news, but here’s another online article that mentions the bullhorns and air horns being blown during his speech.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/nat/aug04/248359.asp

[/quote]
Odd choice of words. Who are they letting in if not Americans, Saudis?[/quote]

When anyone in American politics wants to insincerely evoke a sense of sacred and noble entitlement, they use the word “Americans.”

The only word used for more blatantly sentimental bamboozling is “families.” Republicans say “American families,” which means “lowering taxes”; Democrats say “working families,” which means “not lowering taxes.”

[/quote]
Odd choice of words. Who are they letting in if not Americans, Saudis?[/quote]

When anyone in American politics wants to insincerely evoke a sense of sacred and noble entitlement, they use the word “Americans.”

The only word used for more blatantly sentimental bamboozling is “families.” Republicans say “American families,” which means “lowering taxes”; Democrats say “working families,” which means “not lowering taxes.”[/quote]

“These types of evasive tactics are occurring all over the county as the Bush-Cheney campaign refuses to allow Americans into their events.”

is it truly 100% insincere? sure, it is a chance to score political points, but still, i think americans are entitled to thinking they can see their leaders speak despite disagreeing with them.

Oh, definitely. I just meant that the word is chosen for rhetorical effect, not because the speaker ever naturally uses such an elevated tone. In this case I quite agree with the speaker; I was addressing Johan’s comment about the word choice.

Considering the announcements of groups like MoveOn.org to sign people up to help out the RNC and then NOT show up, thereby disrupting the event, I can’t say that the Bush campaign’s paranoia on this issue is entirely unfounded.

Do you have any proof of these claims, or are you planning on asking us to look them up for you?

Either way this is entirely inappropriate and undemocratic. No matter what else has changed since 9/11 two wrongs still don’t make a right.

How is it undemocratic? What part of democracy entitles anyone to hearing a speech by Cheney?

He’s an elected official?

Yeah, but this is a campaign activity, not an activity in his role as an elected official.

If you want to criticize our campaign system this country that’s fine, but the RNC isn’t doing anything new and sinister here. Political parties often charge big money to be in the audience for these campaign fundraising events, basically a de facto price on candidate access. These campaign events are organized by non public groups, not the government, and can be as inclusive or exclusive as the organizers want.

He’s a “Supreme Court Appointed Official.”

Which of course is probably more BS from the RNC and the talk gimp set, but hey, war is peace! I hear republicans have been urinating and vomiting into the water supplies of democratic counties in the hopes of making them as full of piss and bile as the typical limbot. They’re so desperate!

http://www.rncnotwelcome.org/fighttheman.html

And you think calling to volunteer and not showing up is far-fetched?

Jeez. I hope no one follows their advice. Most of the ‘tips’ they listed are a sure way to get the police to break up a protest.

Mysteriously, Democrats seem to be able to put up with the occasional annoying protestor without locking everyone who doesn’t sign a loyalty oath out of their public campaign events.

If you want to argue “it’s perfectly legal for them to do that, and besides, a couple liberal protesters might have showed up!!!” - knock yourselves out. But people see it as the GOP being assholes, not this bizarre “must keep all protesters away” thing - so don’t let me stop you from losing.