Demon's Souls 101 (NO SPOILERS!)

I didn’t know at that time, but you could summon people for help and the invasion system was already present and of course messages. But I think they killed the servers last year, so it is solo mode… as a souls historian, you have to do it ;) It also has its own version of the bell gargoyles.

hahahaha, indeed. it’s funny you framed it that way because I am keeping a little notebook charting my progress through all the games, taking notes, marking accomplishments, noting hours played, start and finish dates, etc.

I even drew a little map for Sekiro ; )

Demons souls is easier than the rest, honestly. Still my favorite though

I concur. You need to play it. One of my favorite encounters of the whole series was the Old Monk in that game. It was the first time I had encountered that kind of PvP aspect in game. Very cool! Also, the whole game is worth playing just for this one area alone:

Edited for a less offensively named video…

Yeah that might actually be the best plan. Maybe play Bloodborne next so you don’t get sick of Dark Souls. Maybe Demon’s Souls last because it’s different enough that you’ll be able to tolerate more Souls games.

DS3 has a boss who has been compared to that boss. Having never played Demon Souls I cannot be sure but it is what I have read. A boss in one of the DLC.

Correct Scuzz, it’s a similar encounter.

I think I am going to replay and try a pure white world tendency run. That was a pretty cool concept, to lock some secrets and areas and rely them on world tendency…

I really wish I had access to a PS3. I’ll check in with my brother again. He never played any games on it, but he used his PS3 as a bluray player. And the last time I asked him if I could borrow it (which was about 2 years ago I think?) he said his Xbox Ones were both being used for games, and he was still primarily using the PS3 as his main bluray player, so letting me borrow it for an extended time would mess with his entertainment setup too much.

If he does let me borrow it though, it’s going to be weird playing Demon’s Souls without messages on the ground. Just like it is with Bloodborne now that I’m playing it without a PS+ subscription.

If not, a PS3 should only set you back about…$3,500 or so. I need to go back and finish up Demon’s Souls one of these days. I left off at some part where you’re walking up a bit circular staircase to fight a mini-boss creature of some kind. Great game though.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-PlayStation-3-40GB-Piano-Black-Console/110683391?thm=1000&chn=ps

This game is tough, no bonfires (but some shortcuts), and now I almost ran out of healing herbs. So what to do? Farming, I suppose. I got stuck on a spider boss (without spoiler, but in every fromsoft game there are spider bosses). I wasted a lot of herbs, don’t do it. Note to myself. When fighting a boss, don’t use healing items until boss pattern learned.

Also I found a place with 5-6 crystal lizards, this was the first time I found the place ;) Also I found Patches. I was tempted to fall for his trick, but then I decided against it, because I was carrying 6000 souls with me.

He showed up at the nexus later. I wonder where his questline goes. When I first beat the game, I think I did not meet him at all.

And I know what to do with the Silent Chief, ha ha, rot in Latria…

I remember a lot of farming in 4-1 for grass, and then I remember several full dark tendency surprise shankings by that samurai dude.

I vaguely remember a dude in Demon’s Souls who starts murdering people in the hub, including all your upgrade and item vendors. That was a brutal game.

sadly the servers are offline now, and you have to wait for login to fail at the start of the game.

oh, some fun stuff happened, too… the crystal lizard cave was protected by 2 npc invaders. I fled back to the lift and went upwards. They both fell into the pit ;) They looked pretty tough, they certainly would have killed me. I remember that the Valley of Defilement level 1 was pretty easy. I am not eager to fight the flame lurker at the moment

I’ve not tried this myself but there is a private demon’s souls server that rotates the world tendency. You have to change your PS3 DNS but that seems pretty harmless from a PS3. I wouldn’t do it on my PC but I would try on my PS3. The last time I played a few years ago I was trying to manipulate the WT but in my normal Souls fashion I got distracted farming and then something else shiny caught my eye and I wandered away.

It’s sad I own all the games, multi platforms and versions have put a shitton of time into demon’s and dark 1 & 2 yet I’ve never finished any. I’m super close on my remastered playthrough, just Seath left I think.

cool, thanks. I found this private server, going to try it. Not sure if I want to cheat world tendency, but a nice option to have!
https://yuvi.app/serverinfo.html

Wow that’s awesome that you can force it. I had no idea, I’m going to have to try this out too.

I just built a shiny new PC and here I am about to fire up the PS3 to play some DS.

the private server works very well… it even tells you how many player are active (not that many, like 10 total). But the messages and bloodstains are back, and you do not have to wait for server login failure.

There must be some legal issues between Fromsoft, Atlus and Sony, why there is no remastered version yet. This game is just perfect. It feels a lot like a rogue-lite with these vast levels and “permadeath”. My favourite souls game. Also the bosses are more varied and interesting.

High praise! Just curious, was it your first?

Getting rid of this game is like the only “gaming-related” thing I really regret. Waiting for it to go on sale on PSN again because I can’t make myself pay full price for something I know goes for less than half that at points, and it’s not like I don’t have DS1 & 2 sitting in my Steam library unbeaten…