Dems 2019: Dem Hard With A Vengeance

Well, he’s hurting the wrong people now so all bets are off.

He better do something quick! Prior Republican administrations have shown the way to turn around falling poll numbers. George Carlin outlines it here.

Well, he has been looking at strike options on Iran. If only he could blame Iran for the ISIS bombing in Syria… oh, he can? Oops.

Yes… completely baffling why any Bernie Bros would fawn over her…

… really? You think a significant portion of people who supported Bernie are so shallow?

A significant portion? No. But I do think it’s a factor and it was being ignored.

I don’t get it. A bunch of images of Gabbard? So?

Edit: Ah. Nevermind. You’re implying that Gabbard’s looks are the reason people support her. Okay. I disagree. I’m sure there are a few that maybe are goofball enough to let her looks beguile them into political support, but I’m going with the simpler explanation. She was one of the first to support Bernie publicly, and most voters don’t dig deep enough to find out her anti-LGBT history.

Oh sure, there are shallow idiots in any group. People who would or would not vote for someone purely based on their looks or gender.

To claim that Bernie supporters are particularly overrepresented by this type of behavior is… you do you. Even if your pants are clearly on your head.

But this butthurt Bernie Bros crap really grates me. They ain’t the reason Clinton didn’t win the EC. They voted for her. And to think that they are going to, en mass, make Gabbard the nominee in 2020 belies a profound misunderstanding, bordering on ignorance, of what drives their votes.

The unifying aspect is policies, my man.

Whoa, whoa - there is zero chance that will happen. Gabbard, at best, is in this for a VP or cabinet nod.

I responded to bafflement about why anyone would fawn over Gabbard, because I believe that leaving out the fact that she is attractive and young and biracial is simply missing a huge factor. Just like leaving out the fact that Warren is an older white lady when trying to determine why her unfavorables are high leads to weak conclusions. Gabbard is liked by some people on the left because the left is the most male-dominated wing of the party, and she is attractive. This is also something that should be mentioned with highly-attractive male candidates. Trying to explain behavior while ignoring a major factor is silly.

Yeah, it’s a demographics thing. I mean, think about this:

Young, female, attractive, former military, experienced in politics, versed in foreign affairs … if nobody looks too deep, that’s a dream candidate. But then we get to her troubling past of issues (and autocrats) she’s supported and, well, um … no thanks.

I think, one of the greatest strategies that the Democrats have been starting to employ is ignoring POTUS. I think that this is really important if they want to win the presidency in 2020. If you are going to spend time rebutting every lie he spews, denouncing every gaffe he makes, and calling him out on his racist rhetoric, you are going to be talking about him for 90% of the time. It only serves him.

Just talk about the issues guys.

This analysis by Nia-Malika Henderson, Senior Political Reporter, is a thought-provoking read. Perhaps with more articles like this Beto (and others like him) will take the hint and get the hell out of the way.

This is Beto O’Rourke’s navel-gazing, self-involved, rollout of a possible rollout of a possible presidential campaign. Oprah Winfrey’s couch is next.

This could never, ever be a woman.

O’Rourke, 46, we are told, is “Obama, but white,” because of his fundraising prowess – he raised nearly $80 million in his loss to Sen. Ted Cruz. He skateboards! He listens! He connects on the internet!

And Jack Kerouac-style, he roams around, jobless (does he not need a job?) to find himself and figure out if he wants to lead the free world. This is a luxury no woman or even minority in politics could ever have.

But the fact that he knows he has the freedom to cast about as a campaign-in-waiting forms, shows how much of his political identity is predicated on being white and male.

And so far it seems like AOC is the only woman that doesn’t have to adhere to the following guideline (and the only woman since HRC that has earned a notable and recognizable abbreviation):

We’ve seen the field fill up already with women. And we’ve seen how they think they must run – as serious, surefooted, policy experts with big ideas.

But then again, she isn’t running for president yet.

I’m sympathetic to her intent but not convinced. I don’t see how “this could never be a woman” applies to a drawn out exploratory phase leading up to an announcement or “roaming around” jobless prior to a campaign. AOC seems like just the latest proof that sometimes charisma is the only thing that matters.

I read this yesterday and thought it was really compelling. White privilege = the absence of countless negative experiences.

Wasn’t Hillary Clinton effectively jobless for years before running for President? I don’t get this angle.

No, not really. She was a Senator from 2001-2009, Secretary of State from then until 2013, and she worked for the Clinton Foundation and the Gates Foundation, wrote a book, and made money as a paid speaker. Most people would kill for those jobs.

Or 'twas it sarcasm?

Twindeed.

She is just too goddamned good.

Yep. She is going to own the party soon at her current rate.

Something will happen. Something always does. Hopefully whatever it is is minor though.