Dennis Miller fills in on Shawn Hannity's radio show

Hannity might as well be Limbaugh’s little brother as far as I am concerned and I care nothing for either show. They pretty much simply preach to the converted. However, as I was scanning the channels this afternoon I hear Dennis Miller filling in. I thought I had heard Miller had signed on with Fox News several weeks ago.

He actually sounds good. I would not mind a 2 or 3 hour Dennis Miller, smart-ass show covering politics/media/culture, whatever. He seems to lean to the right, but will make fun of anyone who engages in stupid shit.

Miller has converted to the dark side. Too bad.

You mean because he is not screaming about how Republicans are demons which we (including me) have come to expect from every stand-up comic?

The fact that they are demons is self-evident. We don’t need no steenking comedians to tell us that! :lol:

While he offered some cheap laughs, I found him exceedingly trite when I saw him on Leno.

Triteness is kinda his schtick. He alludes to people and makes references to things in his routines that occasionally only 5 people understand. His observations on all facets of American life have been interesting, entertaining and, most importantly, relevant for many, many years. You cannot say that for many people, much less comedians.

People usually don’t like comediens who make fun of their political beliefs. ;) <===== (note the wink. :) )

That man has NEVER hugged a tree! snif :wink:

If he had any sort of depth to his observations, I wouldn’t have complained. About that.

You want depth from Leno? Looks like you had impossible expectaions going in. :wink:

Triteness is kinda his schtick. He alludes to people and makes references to things in his routines that occasionally only 5 people understand. His observations on all facets of American life have been interesting, entertaining and, most importantly, relevant for many, many years. You cannot say that for many people, much less comedians.[/quote]

Randomally sticking Complicated Stuff into your act doesn’t it funny or interesting. Miller’s been shitty for a few years now.

Again, what Lackey said.

People usually don’t like comediens who make fun of their political beliefs.

Don’t give me that shit, I stopped liking him before he became a Republican shill. I think PJ O’Rourke is funny, for chrissakes.

You want depth from Leno? Looks like you had impossible expectaions going in. :wink:[/quote]
Nah, but if someone makes fun of politics, it’d be nice if there was some depth to it. Especially since Dennis Miller seems to be rather famous. Actually, I don’t remember if I found him amusing at all… Maybe a joke or two.

I am listening now and he has been pretty funny for the last hour and a half while laying out his core beliefs and telling people a little reasoning behind them, so it must be a matter of taste. I did not mean to get you riled.

Calling him a shill because he has a job with a conservatively slanted News station (or for whatever reason you are branding him) is a stretch, IMO.

I was amazed to see, in Miller’s new cable special a couple of months back, a long segment on Libya and Khadaffy (sp). It just went on and on. His brief introduction to the sketch in no way made up for the irrelevance of what sounded like 20 year old material.

I’m curious how his new conservative schitck goes over. He got big back during the Reagan administration, and from then on all through the Clinton years his bit involved taking pot shots at whoever’s in power. Not that that’s unusual for a comedian, but now he actually supports someone in office? How does that work? More important, is it teh funnay?

I can’t stand Dennis Miller.

His political arguments piss me off, but that’s not what bothers me most. I don’t agree with everything Bill Maher says, but I find Maher a lot more cogent and thoughtful and, most important, funny. Though I know many folks hate him more than Miller.

Miller has bugged the shit out of me for years because he comes across as so smug and self-satisfied. It’s like he doesn’t need an audience, because he already knows he’s so damn funny and brilliant already. Which, as others have said, isn’t really supported by the material–since he recycles it endlessly and substitutes and/or mistakes obscurity for intellectual thinking.

He seems like a smart guy—but he strikes me as a big poseur.

Wow…wasn’t expecting the he-man Miller haters club to be so strong here. I agree with many points regarding the way he comes across. I do think some of it ihas simply become part of his act. Basically, I don’t care. He makes me laugh.

I miss Politically Incorrect and Maher certainly got a raw deal, but I think he comes across just as holier-than-thou while regaling us with his absolutes as to what is right and wrong in this country. He still makes me laugh.

I think Miller is going to be on Maher’s show tonight or whenever it airs next, BTW.

That’s exactly it: Maher isn’t that funny in kind of the same way Miller isn’t.

I actually used to hate Maher even more. And, yeah, in the same way that I hate Miller. But he’s won me over in the last year or so–basically since Politically Correct got yanked, I guess. And I really dug his most recent HBO special–even if I didn’t agree with everything he said.

I think if Miller just came off a little less smug I’d like him a whole lot more. He’s definitely made me laugh over the years–it’s just his delivery that annoys me.