Denuvo DRM - It works, and you're going to get more of it

I might have mentioned this above, but I recently learned that Denuvo does the implementation for free on products and then guarantees the game won’t be cracked for a certain amount of time. And when (as increasingly happens) it doesn’t last that long, the publishers get paid by Denuvo. It turns out to be a bit of a win-win for publishers, so that’s why they keep doing it. Not sure when Denuvo starts to suffer for it.

Unless the period they negotiated was 4 days or less, Denuvo is certainly suffering with Far Cry New Dawn and Metro Exodus.

We saw how much the DRM on Diablo worked… so much that they skipped PC altogether for their next version of the game :)

Unless the period they negotiated was 4 days or less, Denuvo is certainly suffering with Far Cry New Dawn and Metro Exodus.

Probably not suffering enough… But hopefully they are, a seething hive of villains and scum.

That’s not a counterexample.

We are not arguing wether games can be successful without DRM (they obviously can) but whether they can be successful with imposed always online DRM. That the Witcher 3 was successful does nothing to clarify the issue.

A counterexample is a game that flopped because of the always online DRM. Sim City could work, but the game had many issues other than the DRM and I’m unsure DRM was the main culprit of the horrible word of mouth and reviews.

I just don’t know of any clear example where a non-minority of consumers have hurt a game’s sales because of DRM.

Yeah, it’s only the third best selling PC game of all time :). I’m sure they don’t want to repeat that!

You can reset assured that Diablo Immortal will have copy protection (likely through an always-on internet requirement) on mobile. Chinese game developers know what happens with mobile games that have no protection, which is why the market is dominated by f2p games. Everything else is pirated.

That always-on requirement didn’t hurt the Mario game on mobile even though it was single player.

Diablo Immortal is essentially a MMO, so it will definitely be always-online. Unlike D3 its core design justifies that.

I would have no issue with DRM if companies would simply pledge to remove it after a year or two (and then deliver on it). I’d be buying a lot more new games if that were the case. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

If the DRM is there to restrict the title for “day 1” purchase, you’d expect it to be gone on day 2. (technically it is gone (or bypassed, emulated) on day 4 since by that time the title is fixed by the scene.)

Okay. I’m not fussy about the time period. I was trying to give the publisher as much time as they might say they need.

Yea. But the stated intent for some of the publishers using it, and Denuvo, is to “protect day 1 sales…” afaik the impression I’ve gotten.

Given that the general consensus seems to be that Denuvo is legitimate-customer friendly, why are they scum?

How is timebombed software customer friendly? (in addition to anti-tampering).

What games using Denuvo no longer work?

Worrying about DRM feels less urgent in today’s world when we have so many other problems to worry about. It feels like a relic from a different era.

I can’t even muster an opinion for or against.

But Tim, in 15 years there’s a chance a game I paid 20 bucks for and haven’t played for the past 14 of those years might not work. Pitchforks!

I mean, I get the principle, but this just doesn’t impact me in any real way. If a really old game down the line breaks on a new OS or something, that’s no different than a lot of old games that didn’t have DRM. If it’s the very rare game I still want to play that far into the future, I’ll probably be able pick it to for $5 on GOG or something.

Yeah I take that back. It’s not the world that changed. I’m an adult now with tons of money and zero time, so DRM doesn’t reach my radar.

Is this the thread where we spend a lot of time and words expressing how indifferent we are about DRM? :-)

We talk about time bombs too! :(

I’m actually not indifferent towards DRM as a whole, but I am indifferent to Denuvo because it hasn’t negatively impacted me in any way.

I should just mute the thread. Not like there’s a lot of news.