Denuvo DRM - It works, and you're going to get more of it

LOL we know, Zak, you’ve mentioned it a time or two. :)

Any games I’ve played that have had this (or any modern DRM, like Steam) have never had any effect on performance from what I’ve observed, meaning whatever CPU clock cycles were required were minimal enough to not matter. I posed my question to Nezz as it sounded like he had some sort of performed evidence it was a problem, it sounds like he does not, and it is not.

Got ta stick it to the Man, or you grow old young ;)

I rather find ways to stick it to The Man that doesn’t make it so I can’t play the games that interest me :-)

Thanks for the heads up, just requested a refund from Steam as I had it in my library but haven’t installed it yet.

shrug Mad Max runs just fine for me and I’m only running a 750ti. If I don’t feel the DRM, I guess I can live with it. I don’t see why pirates should have it easy.

I believe instant0 is morally opposed to DRM that could someday result in a single player game being unavailable just because someone turns a server off.

Denuvo has been incredibly impressive in terms of its protection and I’ve noticed absolutely no ill effects in any game I’ve played that uses it.

Well, I can certainly understand the reasoning and even support it, but I like my games too much to boycott them. :P

This is kind of where I’m at. I don’t really see the big deal with DRM and what not, my games work great, and when they don’t (which is super, SUPER rare and has been for years now) I get refunds/credit. I still don’t see the POV from folks like Zak whom are die-hard anti-Steam and Uplay and such, but I suppose that’s what makes the world great, everyone is different. :)

Hey, I’d love to play Mad Max - thanks to the QT3 thread about it, but seeing as I still have another 100 hours left of gameplay in Witcher 3 there’s no rush to go chasing other games :)

I have no idea how Denuvo “really” works, and at first blush from their extremely vague statements it seems like they don’t even require always-on interactions. But I find it worrying that of the acknowledged Denuvo games, Phantom Pain and Just Cause 3 both caused me trouble over online features that seemed to pop-up at the wrong time. For instance, opening the PDA in Phantom Pain and getting a spinning wheel, or getting random hitches during some loads in JC3 (something mentioned by Brad Shoemaker on the Giant Bombcast). Maybe those were just regular online server issues from games that relied too heavily on being online – no doubt, the Metal Gear online servers were a mess for a while – and were totally unrelated to Denuvo. Then again, maybe not. Who is going to admit if their DRM is causing performance issues?

Those are unrelated, since other games using Denuvo don’t have such issues.

That wouldn’t necessarily be true. It could be dependant upon how it is used or other characteristics.

Some of the ingredients may be the same, but they might have used a different recipe.

Just Cause has far worse loading problems on consoles. Attributing it to PC DRM is pretty tenuous at best.

I haven’t read this whole discussion, but my principal concern with DRM is that, unless it’s removed by the publisher after a decent interval (say a year or two max), there’s a very good chance that the game will stop working within a few years for the paying customer, and also be lost to history well before it has the ghost of a chance to get into the public domain.

That depends on how the DRM works though. If it’s inherently dependent on an online server, yeah, but I thought Denuvo is entirely local.

Denuvo isn’t technically DRM, it’s anti-tamper technology (mostly used to protect actual DRM components, true, but it’s not DRM by itself).

DRM is okay when used to restrict copyrights. I think. But if they introduce dependencies or restrictions it can be a problem. Online auth servers that are offline. Number of installs that can’t be extended when the publisher is gone.

But even then the bigger problem is the creepy feeling that you don’t really own anything, that you are just “renting” something for a limited period of time. I like when I own things, and I can tamper with these things because I want to.

Technically, you don’t own the software. The company that made it does. You just have a license to use it.