Derek Smart's Credentials

What you say?!

I’m not going to post a link to the whole history of the Derek Smart saga, but paging through the timeline, it is interesting how many people on this forum were involved in the original USENET follies.

I was posting on USENET then, and I was peripherally aware of the whole BC3K war, but I never participated. For one thing, it’s not my genre.

The REAL POLL

Since these stupid forums will not let me make a poll. I wuz sent these 3 pics and told one of them was wumpus and his wife. Can you pick the right pic?
You can just vote by replying.

I VOTE #1

A nutty play on wumpus’ name and pictures of large women suggested as being his wife. Pure genius! There is simply too much comedy in that post.

Don’t forget the inability to figure out how to make a poll. Stupid forums!

Isn’t that Steven King and the lady from Poltergeist I in the middle one?

http://suburbia.werewolves.org/~follies/archives/1History/history.htm

text written by Bill Huffman:

-8/6/97 & 8/8/97 Derek posts what is probably the most vile post I’ve ever seen, the infamous piss in mouth flame. see PissInMouth.txt

This lead to me wondering if there might be a way to rid the news group of this scourge. I thought that Mr. Smart was possibly a pathological liar. I remembered someone from my past with that affliction. I learned I couldn’t trust a word they said. When they made a statement that put them in a favorable light, I could almost count on it being a lie. Previously, I’d noticed that Derek had not responded to queries about his PhD. That had always seemed strange to me because I’d rarely seen him pass up a chance to brag. But, I had always just dismissed it as maybe Derek just didn’t see the post. However, at about this same time, Derek responded to a medical doctor that had asked about his PhD. Derek said, “What’s it to you? Still struggling with your high school diploma???” (see MDRequestsPhDInfo.txt) Putting it all together, I concluded that his PhD was probably fake.

The “infamous piss in mouth post”:

Subject:      Re: BC3K demo on PC Games cd-rom
Date:         1997/08/06
Message-ID:   <[email protected]>
Newsgroups:   comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.bc3000ad

On Tue, 05 Aug 1997 17:26:54 -0700, Jim <[email protected]> wrote:

>Derek Smart wrote:
>> 
>> A demo of BC3K is on the September issue of PC Games.
>
>yawn...

1. Unzips pants
2. Pees in Jim's mouth
3. Closes pants
4. Jim swallows.
5. Jim shuts up.
6. Mission Accomplished.

Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Designer/Lead Developer
Battlecruiser:3000AD
UIN: 158435

"Some are born to win...others are born to lose
     if you plan on losing here, you'll wish you were never born"

- Supreme Commander, Galactic Command

BC3K: Battle Zone, the internet multi-player environment for BC3K
coming soon to www.3000ad.com. Be there!

For more info on Battlecruiser:3000AD jack into www.bc3000ad.com
Media contact: John Stegenga, [email protected]

I am not judging either person, but that piss post is one of the funniest, most over-the-top things I’ve ever read on the internet.

Yeah but you overhyped it, ruined it for the rest of us…

Er, is that the whole thing?

It’s an insult, sure, but I don’t see the issue.

and from the otehr thread

"How can BCM have been 2 years late if it went into development after Interplay’s BC3K v2.0 (early 1999) and was released in November 2001? "

Magic?

Yeah but you overhyped it, ruined it for the rest of us…

OK, my bad. Consider it revenge for being peer pressured into seeing the Blair Witch Project.

Still, isn’t it more than a little funny to respond to a mild “yawn” with a numbered list describing how you’re going to urinate in someone’s mouth and make them swallow it? Especially when you’re a game developer trying to sell your game to the very same people who would be reading this message? It’s crazy talk.

Not to dignify this waste of 1s and 0s with a response, but have you and Huffman been hanging out in your free time, Wumpus? Nothing better to do than fan this idiotic flamewar?

Just trying to make Derek feel unwelcome?

Don’t make me piss in your mouth, Atkin!

Like I said. I’m not judging either party. I posted this mostly because I think both parties are equally full of horseshit-- Huffman is lying when he says he’s doing this for the sanctity of academic credentials. Heck, his very own site proves that.

I know. It’s a trainwreck, and I can’t look away. Excuse me, I think I’ll go watch Joe Millionaire II now.

Regarding your assertion that I’m lying may I suggest as strong evidence to the contrary that you look at my posts on the Usenet news group alt.education.distance and for more recent posts the forum of DegreeInfo? (FYI just use “Bill Huffman” to plug into the search engines.)

BTW, regarding the PhDFraud website, I’ve been approached by two authors thinking of writing books on academic fraud that have requested permission to use material off of that website.

Derek Smart’s Flame War Follies in the past has been likened to both a train wreck and more frequently to a car accident on the side of the freeway that everyone must slow down and look at.

So sorry I forgot to log in before posting. The previous Guest was me.

Wumpus - just to point out the obvious. You are taking sides, Derek has said he just wants to move on and not play this game. Huffman has shown with his complete lack of a life, he has nothing to claim as his own in life, but this fight with Derek, so he wants to continue it. You are continuing it. Which I guess makes you even more pathetic than Huffman as it is not even your fight.

Chet

yawn

1. Unzips pants
  2. Pees in Met_k’s mouth
  3. Closes pants
  4. Met_k swallows.
  5. Met_k shuts up.
  6. Mission Accomplished.

couldnt help myself

While I’ve already said most of what I had to say over in this thread, since he brings up degreeinfo, let me explain HOW he got over there.

He started this shit over at alt.education.distance. He was laughed out of there and literally tossed out.

The first time I even knew that he had gone over to degreeinfo.com (a URL he obtained from the a.e.d group) was when I received this email in my inbox.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:45:59 -0800
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (Win98; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE Diploma Mill “victims”

Hi Derek,

I was given your name and email by Bill Huffman who says you were a
taken in by a diploma scam. I’m writing an article about diploma mills
for Context Magazine and would like to ask you a few questions and quote
you in the magazine. Please let me know if you’d be willing to do this.

I’d probably ask you some questions via email first, then if necessary
I’ll talk to you by phone.

Thanks so much,

Arnie Cooper

The subsequent responses follow

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:04:12 -0500
To: Arnie Cooper <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: RE Diploma Mill “victims”
Cc: [email protected], [email protected]

Hi Arnie

I was not taken in by any diploma mill scam. That information from Mr Huffman
is false.

Mr Huffman has been stalking me online for the past 4-5 years and I have filed
several complaints against him and an accomplice, a kid who lives in my neighborhood,
over the years. If you download and unzip this file: www.3000ad.com/temp/louisJM.zip (235K)
read it and you will see Mr Huffman’s connection to this kid, Louis.

Mr Huffman has always, in the past, tried to get media people interested in his
campaign. I am a respected game developer and everyone in the media are aware
of Mr Huffman’s detracting actions toward me and they are a far cry from it borne
of concern for me.

If you don’t know where his website is, it is now at: http://suburbia.werewolves.org/~follies/
That is the probably the fourth site that he has put up. Several ISPs were forced to shut down his sites
in the past, due to his actions, harrassment, libel etc. I am currently awaiting legal action
against Mr Huffman by taking him directly to court, rather than wasting time, effort and money
to close down this latest site, only to have it pop-up elsewhere.

Mr Huffman is a Usenet kook in the pure sense of the word and doesn’t deserve a moment of your
time and/or attention. The Internet is littered with people like him, seeking attention by attacking,
libeling and disparaging others in high positions and/or authority.

I would be interested in knowing how you came in contact with Mr Huffman regarding this issue.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:40:18 -0800
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (Win98; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
To: Derek Smart <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: RE Diploma Mill “victims”

Sorry, I just got your name from a posting I made at degreeinfo.com

Derek Smart wrote:

snip

So, I went over to the degreeinfo.com and searched for my name and Huffman’s. Sure enough, the prick was there. So, I posted what I would normally post elsewhere and wherever he pops up.

Subsequently, Chip, one of the admins and one of the regs over at the a.e.d group (a very nice and reasonable guy), sent me this email.

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:17:15 -0800
Subject: Your post to degreeinfo.com

Hi, Derek!

I remember you from the flame war that briefly spilled over into a.e.d. some years ago, and I agree with you that no good would be served by starting a flame war at a.e.d.

Several people have mentioned that Bill has been a usenet troll in a number of places, but he’s generally been quite well behaved at a.e.d., and, since the Derek Smart flame war ended at a.e.d., I’ve not even heard your name.

The post from the gentleman looking for people who had been taken in by degree mills is, in fact, legitimate. The reporter called John Bear for an interview, and John suggested posting on the forum to try and locate some people. I am one of four moderators of the board, and I’ve not seen any posts mentioning you anywhere.

With that in mind, and to prevent a flame war from erupting, I would like your permission to remove your post from the board, since I think that, even though it clearly and reasonably explains everything, I think it is much more likely to start a flame war than to prevent one. The reason I’m asking permission is that your post doesn’t clearly violate our TOS (although some of the statements about Bill H. arguably could, since they are off-topic and rather personal in nature) and I’m really trying to look out for your privacy and the peace of our board.

I’ve temporarily removed it, but can put it back if you have strong objections to its removal.

On another topic, I don’t know if it’s been mentioned to you or if you’re otherwise interested, but there are, in fact, some legitimate, GAAP- qualifying doctoral programs out there that will accept prior work toward the granting of a degree, and can be completed entirely via distance. I don’t remember the details, but somebody did post a message to a.e.d. quite a while back containing an email that you sent in which you mentioned either the name of the school or the fact that it was in the unwonderful section of John’s book. And, hell, everybody makes mistakes, and you would not believe how many people get taken in by some of these schools, because they’re good at deceptive marketing.

Given your experience and the number of software products, algorithms, etc that you have developed, plus whatever work you did for your um, “less-than-wonderful” (as John calls them) degree, you would probably be pretty far along in the doctoral process… and if you had a GAAP-qualifying degree, the entire problem would go away for you. I realize that it’s probably not high on your priority list, but it might be worthwhile to consider at some point. If you’re interested, let me know and I or one of the other regulars can (quietly and confidentially) make some suggestions to you. Then, if you do pursue the legal matters, you’ll be in a bulletproof position.

In any case, let me know about the post, and best of luck with the launch of your new product.

Regards,

Chip White

Chip and I had several emails going back and forth and the last one ended thus

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:18:23 -0500
To: Chip <chip@censored>
Subject: Re: Your post to degreeinfo.com
Cc: john@censored

snip repetitive material

No need to put it back. You made a wise choice. I wasn’t particularly sure if Arnie was another Huffman cronie or not - and thats one of the primary
reasons I even bothered to post. Nevetheless, it wasn’t a scam per se. I was just a fool for not paying close attention to the merits of having an
accredited degree vs an un-accredited one. For someone who considers himself to be of PH.D. calibre, you’d think I would have enough sense. The
fact is that it just wasn’t important at the time. Its not like IBM, Novell, Compaq or any of the other companies I worked for part-time while I was
studying, cared that I wasn’t going through a traditional program. And its not like I need a PH.D. to further my career. See what I mean? I just
refuse to be harrassed over something that I worked for and which didn’t turn out as one would expect, several years down the road. And just
because some detractor finds about it, now I have to be nailed to a cross? Especially since I have never worked for anyone or ever applied for a
job under that premise?

I then started receiving several emails from the residents of degreeinfo.com (I count 11 so far). Here is one of them.

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:29:11 -0600
Subject: Re: Your post to degreeinfo.com
To: Derek Smart <[email protected]>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200

Derek,

My first thought was to ask Chip to place your post back on the board, let
Bill respond and let the folks there see what kind of person Huffman is.
The problem with that is Huffman is very good at spinning things to his
advantage and I see nothing to be gained here.

Hopefully some of the participants have already read your post and have even visited Huffman’s web site and found how looney he really is. I think
what’s important here, whether by way of another post or email to Chip is
that you make it clear that you reserve the right to post on the board again if their venue is used to promote Huffman’s libel. They must understand that Huffman did indeed use their board to identify someone he thought he could use as a weapon against you, and apparently emailed this guy providing him with who knows what about you, simple in another attempt to harass you.

I suggest you allow your post to kept off the board. Chip has sent you a
very reasonable email and if you respond in kind I believe that you will
already look considerably better that Huffman at that point.

Regards,

I subsequently forwarded some of the emails to the other admins and here is one response I got back.

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:07:13 -0800
Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: Your post to degreeinfo.com

Derek,

Thanks for the forward. We haven’t seen this side of Bill at all (except during the a.e.d. flamefest a year or two ago) and I really don’t understand what motivates someone to put so much energy into something so unimportant.

Good luck with the new release!!

Finally, in order to not have this crap spill into degreeinfo.com his rubbish was deleted. I never posted beyond that one post I don’t think and left. I had no business being there.

Bill did the SAME VERY THING on the about.com message boards. I didn’t know about it until I got, yet another email from some people about it.

Bill did the SAME THING on the motley fools message boards. I didn’t know about it until I got emails from people there - including Brian Hook.

I get email constantly about this shit from people in the industry, the media etc. EVERY single time this wanker decides to send one of his rubbish to the media, I get to be the first person to know about it. Eventually he stopped.

He did the same thing with Interplay (right after I signed the multi-title deal and the PR from Interplay went out) and Phil Adam (one of the VPs I report to directly) told me about it and said that he people had already told him about this righteous twat and to just ignore him.

I have an entire JAZ disk of most everything that has transpired with this fool, going back to the days of AOL (when it wasn’t as big as it is now). I’ve got emails. stored web pages (three of which are his and were taken down by ISPs), stored URLs, including multi-megabyte Google pages (which is why its easy for me to find and post them).

I have three police reports and in one such case, that kid he instigated got visited and was almost carted away. Thats when they found out that he was, in fact, a juvenille.

I have spoken to the San Diego police. So has my attorney. They can’t do anything until he does something criminal. And they offered that we contact the FBI if we have all this evidence because it leads directly to criminal cyberstalking. We did. Nothing has become of that yet.

I tried to get a restraining order - in San Diego (I actually flew there!) but it wasn’t granted because there was no implied violence or threat. I guess they’re waiting for him to show up at my house and kill my family first.

Especially considering that shortly after this kid Louis mentioned spotting me in my neighborhood (he lived about 20 mins from me at the time - according to the police report), was boasting about owning a shotgun. You can read about that over here. Just search for the word Mossberg. And that was before the kid got visited and then said that he had made the whole thing up (about me calling his house, following him etc) and that Huffman had asked him to find out where I lived.

I have almost SEVEN years of this crap. I choose NOT to post about it nor even talk about it because some of them have been very, very painful expriences. To the extent that when this kid posted - on July 4th weekend 2000 (while I was out of town!!) that he had seen me (he described the car I was driving, what I was wearing etc), my fiance threatened to up and leave unless we moved.

So, wumpus, while somewhere in your obviously in your brain you have a few brain cells on the fritz and which lead you to believe that THIS IS FUN, let me tell you something, retard, ITS NOT FUCKING FUN!!
I have NO idea what your motivations are and I don’t give a flying fuck. You want us to turn the forum into a battleground, fine, that is EXACTLY what we’ll do. I have SEVEN years of anger over this shit already pent up and its not going to take much to tip me over the edge.

Lets do it

FWIW, I vote for #3 - because quite frankly, I don’t give a shit either. All I know is, I have a bona fide PH.D and accredited or not, I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone thinks. I have enough copyrights, trademarks and patent (pending) - and more experience in what I do than most. And whats more important is that, I KNOW who I am and when I look in the mirror, I love me all the more. I have NOTHING to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of.

This has NOTHING to do with my degree. Huffman is psychotic racist sumbitch who does NOT HAVE A LIFE. He tries to live vicariously through me by attempting to inject his pitifull life into my more colourful life because, in his mind, I’m a celebrity he can latch on to. He is a NOBODY so he resorts to CRIMINAL CYBERSTALKING, HARRASSMENT, LIBEL AND FLAT OUT LIES in order to find meaning for his existence.

And since he has, once again, declared open season and war on the residents of a forum that I frequent and WHERE HE IS NOT WELCOME. Today I’m having my attorney compose a strongly worded letter to his bosses, supervisor and human resources at NCR. If nothing else, they’ll know that - FIVE FUCKING YEARS AFTER THE FIRST COMPLAINT, HE’S STILL DOING THIS SHIT. Two can play this game.

That is all.

ps: wumpus. And yes, its Dr. -fucking- Smart, jackass. But you can call me Derek.

Derek Smart Ph.D.
Designer/Lead Developer
The Battlecruiser Series
Thank God that real life is nothing like MMORPGs. If I go to the Mall and
fall to the floor motionless, the chances of everybody coming and killing
my ass are basically zero. In fact, my guess is that people will rush over
and try to help me
- SpoofyChop over at QT3A