Derek Smart's GALACTIC COMMAND

When Derek Smart and his team set out to develop a fast paced space combat shooter,
they didn’t want to do just your regular run-of-the-mill shooter. Instead they wanted to
blend in all the elements that made the space combat genre of yester years awesome, with
the current generation technology found in our industry recognized suite of games.

The result is a visceral pure action aerial and space combat action shooter with massive
scale combat engagements, an intricate story line campaign, interesting and challenging
missions which take place both in space and on planet surfaces, as well as all the graphics
eye candy that your system can muster. Throw in an intuitive help system, easy to use
GUI interface and control scheme (game pad support!) and what you have is a game you
can pick up and be playing like an expert in ten minutes or less.

This episodic (four in all) game tells the story of the struggle between the Terran Military
forces of Galactic Command and their opposition counterparts, the Insurgents, who are
fast becoming the new threat to the organization’s stability and security.

The GCV-Excalibur and GCV-Merlin are two new attack carriers developed by
GALCOM and on their first maiden voyage are tasked with engaging the Insurgents. As
the leader of a combat flight crew of fighters assigned to the Excalibur, your mission is to
carry out your assignments while protecting your fleet from being destroyed by hostile
forces operating deep behind enemy lines.

Episode one is included in the full game, with three additional episodes (each sold
separately) to follow every two to three months.

GALCOM is scheduled to be released in Q1/07 (March) at an MSRP of $29.95. Future
episodes are sold separately at $19.95

— Alan

An epic dynamic campaign generator that has you fighting to defend humanity’s Taco Bells, while struggling to venture forth into the uncharted frontiers of space to locate new, viable sites for additional Taco Bells to bring food freedom to the galaxy!

$90 for the whole shebang? Heh.

Taco bell?

Ahem. You capitalized the wrong words of the subject.
It should be:

SUPREME COMMANDER DEREK SMART’S Galactic Command.

Ah sorry I reverted to the whole “Derek Smart’s DESKTOP COMMANDER” video feel.

In the future, everything is Taco Bell right?

— Alan

I’m interested. This part especially:

Throw in an intuitive help system, easy to use GUI interface and control scheme (game pad support!) and what you have is a game you can pick up and be playing like an expert in ten minutes or less.

If his other games were like this, they might have been playable. So, I’m interested in seeing what he can do. I know it’s popular to hate the guy, but a guy who can manage to do what he wants to do is worth at least a little respect, IMO.

I bought some of his other games even though I didn’t like them, just to support the dream, if nothing else.

That whooshing sound you hear is all these jokes flying over my head.

“game pad support!” this is a bullet point for a xbox 360 title?

The operative word here is “can”

Has he ever actually done what he wants to do and succeeded?

Did not Yoda say, “Do, or do not. There is no try.”

What’s the Taco Bell reference?

I believe, I BELIEVE. I’lll be getting this at launch, or not.

Derek Smart’s Desktop Commander is one of the funniest things to ever come out of Something Awful (link to video) - it’s an interesting multi-layered production satirizing (at the time) Derek’s new game (as it crashed to desktop repeatedly, meaning you “played” more of the desktop than the actual game) while ragging on Derek’s various, um, internet-related things.

The Taco Bell thing is a joke from Demolition Man (or at least mine is).

— Alan

Enabler.

;-)

That just means that you’re not familiar with “Doctor” Smart’s Battlecruiser games, both online and off. I envy you.

Aheheh, that video was hilarious even though I’m more familiar with the legend than the man.

That I understood, but I think someone was calling him “Taco Commander” in some other thread, which I guess goes with SlyFrog’s taco bell thing. So there’s some sort of bewildering taco-related insult. And I’m not gonna lie, I’ve never heard a taco-related insult before.

I heard enough about them to stay away…

Derek uses the handle “Supreme Commander” on his own forums. So it was a pretty short hop to tack “Taco” in front of that.

He got closer than anyone else I’ve ever known.

…that’s actually a lot funnier than it probably deserves to be.

If I were him, I’d totally appropriate that and change my handle to Taco Supreme Commander.

And take himself less than deadly serious? How would he have the God-given authority to ban all less ranked noobs from his forums? The various Commanders and Sub-Commanders and Uber-Lieutenants and such?