Descent heir Overload has been released and I've got a very bad feeling

I’m honestly about to barf.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/06/01/descent-heir-overload-has-been-released-and-ive-got-a-very-bad-feeling/

Amazing game. Love it and the people behind it.

The barfing seems to have been averted. I feel like I should go back in.

-Tom

If you really want to get your barf on, run it in VR \m/ :puke:

I have a strong stomach for this kind of thing (loved descent back in the day) but running overload in VR,I can stand for about 30 minutes max.

In a regular plane I can jank & bank in VR all day long without the slightest bit of queeziness. Overload moves fast (as it should) and is claustrophic.

It’s a hella fun experience tho!

Hmm, I guess it’s not clear that there’s a bit more up there than me threatening to barf.

By the way, a few hours later, and I’m still feeling weirdly queasy and even a little light-headed. I was in there way too long because it was so perfect playing in VR. Oh, and one of the games I was trying to think of during the stream was Sublevel Zero. It takes the form of a weird kind of campaign in a populated space station with threat zones.

But I still can’t remember what the lower poly-count game was, which I’m pretty sure had VR support as well. Oddly enough, I can’t find it on Steam with the “6dof” tag.

-Tom

Step aside, cinnamon challenge; it’s time to turn the Overload VR Challenge into a Youtube meme. The devs should rake in the dough.

I take the VR-induced nausea pretty seriously now since I’ve had the symptoms ruin me for the rest of the day before :-( Jealous of the people who don’t get it at all or only for a few minutes after leaving the game.

Diego

It can take hours for me to dissipate, or even the rest of a day if I do not take the onset symptoms seriously.

That’s why I take intense experiences, such as overload carefully in small doses. This is heavy stuff man!

If you die in the game, you barf for real.

I always close my eyes just before dying, in this, in flight sims as well.

This is SO much like Descent. I played the heck out of that -by modem- with a buddy back in the day. But I’m wary, since the actual gameplay of Descent was limited in the idea of a 6-DOF shooter in a world of things like Doom/Wolfenstein 3D/Hexen. There wasn’t much meat to it after a while.

Is there something to keep people going here beyond the original premise of Descent?

Everspace might be an alternative. More space rogue than pure shooter I think.

3 levels in, I’d say there probably isn’t anything beyond Descent in the campaign.

However, the challenge mode is something I’m really looking forward to. Trying to beat your friends’ scores within the framework of this kind of gameplay is something unique that Descent never did.

Sounds good. Also the VR aspect sounds fun in a lose-my-lunch sort of way. :)

I’m actually pretty tolerant of most cockpit VR, but I wonder how much of it has to do with being in closed quarters instead of the open area of stuff like Everspace or flight sims? Or at least moving through closed quarters as quickly as you move in Overload? Or maybe I was just in there too long because it was so good? Or maybe it was too little sleep and an empty stomach? Who knows. But it was qualitatively different from any nausea I might have gotten in other VR games. I might try it again later, but since my VR time, I’ve been just fine playing this on a flat screen.

-Tom

Oh yeah, definately the closed quarters and fast movement. Also the utter lack of up and down lol

Ah, yes, another great point. I have no use for autoleveling. Autoleveling is for babies who need the security blanket of up and down. So I have it turned off, which has got to play even more havoc with the inner ear.

Besides, the default autoleveling with a gamepad, which is the only way to play in VR, is set to button presses. So it’s a herky jerky 45-degrees-or-nothing situation. I’m sure you can configure that, though.

-Tom

Did you use your go to music for when you are feeling queasy?

I love this game, but it’s exhausting. In the best way. The level design is perfect. The controls are perfect. I couldn’t have asked for a better Descent successor.