Desperados 3 - I'm your Huckleberry!

Yeah, generally I try to approach everything with silent knife / axe type attacks, but at some stage just using the showdown & shoot mode is an easy “I win” button that feels like a bit of a cheat.

Overall I’m really enjoying it. A bit surprised that badges don’t reward using the “accidental” kills, eg rock falls or other environmental tricks. Kinda feel its often more hassle to actually use those than just straight up knife / attack the enemy than to use the obvious kill setup.

Good deal for Desperados 3 if you don’t mind cdkeys.com. $29

$39 at GreenManGaming with voucher DE22

Not sure what I’ll do.

Well GMG is an official source, so this close to the game release I’d go with that one.

I had a thought yesterday that it could be possible to create an interesting variation on this game formula when you apply an xmen skin. Cyclops would be the sniper, Wolverine the guy with the “knife” & close takedowns. Then you could have Mystique in her disguise…etc

Anyway… Really enjoying the game and busy taking down all the bandits at the bridge right now!

Just played the first two levels of the demo and it feels pretty good. Pretty much just like Shadow Tactics, but I probably like this setting more. I forget how jittery these games can make me feel even though I can save frequently and pause. Definitely a buy at some point. Not sure if I’ll get it now as I think if I buy a new release I’d rather go with The Last of Us Part 2.

Honestly, this was on my wishlist and it’s the only game that I have a current desire to pick up, but it’s not on sale (I did try to order from CDKeys but I haven’t gotten my code yet, so fingers crossed that’s okay, I’ve only used them once before and I had to request a refund - but I got it - so I am only taking a chance due to a $19 discount). But more than anything, the Overwhelmingly Positive with thousands of reviews on Steam is what really put me over the top. I can’t wait to dig in, now that I beat Last of Us 2 I will probably start it tonight.

Calling it the best strategy game of the year makes me laugh.

In what way? Do you think it’s not a good strategy game, or there isn’t a lot of competition?

EDIT:
There are several strategy games already out, so I’m guessing you don’t like it?
XCOM Chimera Squad
Warcraft 3 Reforged
Gears Tactics
Mount & Blade II (Early Access)

And assorted expansions for existing strategy titles, plus indie stuff like Monster Train.

Because it’s not strategy in any sense I think of it, it’s stealthy unless it’s very much not like Shadow Tactics, which was also not in my view a strategy game.

Realize opinions may differ on it but when I end up replaying sections over and over due to stealth that’s not strategy to me, I’d call it rogue like tactics I guess.

Edit: and yeah, you listed a bunch more tactics games

Oh, I see, it’s a matter of definition, perhaps? Maybe they should say it’s the tactical game of the year, but that makes people think of military shooters, I assume.

Hey, it’s no big deal, it just struck me as funny the vid is stuck on the screenshot of it declaring strategy game of the year. It really did make me laugh.

It’s a puzzle game with multiple solutions. : )

Yeah, it’s clearly an action puzzle game.

I just played the first (tutorial) mission and wowza, does this gameplay go down smooth as a sarsaparilla on a might hot day. The opening scene is a great way to show off how the game controls and works and I just got to the start of the first proper mission when my daughter demanded I order and pick up some food, which sounded good as I just mowed the lawn. So I’ll get back to it tonight, but it leaves a right positive first impression.

4 new Baron’s challenges missions free update

2nd fee update, play as an animal squad

Mimimi’s next project is another real-time tactics game - but it’ll be self-published.

I’m playing this now thanks to the Xbox Games Pass and enjoying it, it really recaptures the Commandos magic.

I think the Wild West theme is oddly placed here. For instance, when sniping a guard I got much more satisfaction in Commandos when selecting my actual sniper character and offing a Nazi. Here you select your random dude who happens to have a long sniper pistol (and a bag with a gas-trap etc., no cohesion) and offing a generic ‘outlaw’ or whatever. It’s like the game’s development was led by two people, one of which wanted to make a Commandos clone and the other really wanted to make a western, and this is how they compromised. Maybe I am being unfair, but playing this does make me yearn for an actual Commandos successor (or remake).

I think they just wanted to do something a bit different with the Sniper since they had one in Shadow Tactics as well. I think the game has plenty of cohesion and really gets the theme.

Also, I think Doc goes back to the original Desperados with the sniper pistol.