Desperados 3 - I'm your Huckleberry!

So, unsurprisingly I really enjoyed that demo and it pretty much delivered everything I expected from the game. No fuss, a cool western skin for Shadow Tactics. Preordered ages ago and looking forward to diving into this in June!

Good news! Hoping to sink some hours into the demo this weekend. Good times await.

I enjoyed the demo for this, not buying day 1 due the backlog sadly.
But most definitely keeping it at the top of my wishlist.

I’m your huckleberry.”

Its been almost 30 years since I’ve seen that movie, sorry about the tiny misquote!

Damn, I watch both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp at least once a year. In addition to a dozen or so other westerns.

Since when has backlog ever been an excuse for not buying day one?

The day I die I will own games I have never played 😂

Just dorking around. Also I was flipping channels this week and Tombstone was on, which meant I had to watch it. :D

So rockpapershotgun gave it a “bestest bests”. Stoked for this after playing the demo!

Playing Shadow Tactics to get me warmed up. The D3 demo is definitely a more polished experience and the level design feels tighter too and more balanced in difficulty - noting of course the demo is a limited slice.

I love this game type - so relaxing. It’s a crime mimimi don’t have the Commandos license - they would totally nail that. They didn’t invent the genre but they have perfected it.

As someone else remarked, surprised there is so little activity on this thread. Has this genre become a total niche?

I enjoyed Shadow Tactics but the later levels are too difficult for me. I am looking forward to D3!

I should be buying this but I’ve gone on a spree of buying but not playing games this year, so it’s hard to justify.

The early levels were too difficult to me, but to be fair I allowed myself to be sidetracked before trying too hard at them. I think I’d feel guilty buying D3 before giving it another shot.

The Desperados demo is excellent (well, I played the tutorial and first mission; looks like there’s a second one). I was a BIG fan of the first game. For the same reasons I like XCOM: Chimera Squad, I liked Desperados over Commandos–It was stripped down to the essentials, and it took pains to make the characters unique and their abilities expressive of their personalities. This feels a lot like that first game. I expect that, as with Shadow Tactics, later levels will get a little too intricate for my brain to handle. But I’ll be thrilled if generally they make Desperados just a little bit more accessible than Shadow Tactics. We’ll see, I guess.

I mean, I think it’s always been a tiny niche. Basically two companies made six games within three franchises (Commandos, Desperados, Robin Hood)? Commandos 1&2 were big successes, but I don’t think the others were. Fifteen years later Mimimi picks up the torch. It’s awesome it’s having a resurgence, but it still feels firmly in the nichiest of niches.

In case anyone forgot, Kalypso Media wll be working on Commandos 4. It’ll be done by a new internal studio.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that (or have just forgotten about it). Its still baffling how the series went from 1-3 to Strike Force and then died there…

8hrs to go!

EDIT:
Hey, someone stole my thread title!

I really like games such as this, but I don’t recall ever actually beating one. I will still wishlist this and look into it once I wrap up The Last of Us 2 here in a few weeks, because I think it looks cool.

Good reviews, too:

Shadow Tactics was the first one that got me to stick with it all the way to the end, so with this being from the same folks was an easy buy.

Just stumbled onto this trailer for Partisans 1941

Looks like a Commandos follow up without the license. Interesting to finally see this genre making a comeback! Probably down to the success of Shadow Tactics (?)

Anyway, I’m heading back to the old west for the foreseeable future!