Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

First impression of the beta: much better graphics. They are pushing the hardware of the original PS4 to near PS4 pro territory.

Gameplay is fun, really fun. PvP is fun still fun.

Lots of strange decisions that seems to be in the “No Fun Allowed” territory. Like, the super reload strangely slow. You can complete a PvP game without having super ever once. Grenades also kinda slow reload.

They are pushing hard the “please use main weapons” angle, but… is a good angle? perhaps not at this cost.

Beta is super short. In less than one hour you literally have seen already everything the game have to offer, less than one hour. Supersad in this area, as I expected to level from 1 to 8 or something like that, and entertain myself in the beta for a few days, but instead is more like a short demo.

The first mission was absolutely amazing for players of Destiny 1, they nailed it with 5 stars. Not sure about newcomers, if will feel the same way for them.

I seriously didn’t understand Bungie’s angle on this when I played the original Destiny (and make no mistake, I played the SHIT out of that game).

There were so many times where Bungie seemed to be actively fighting against its entire playerbase to try and stop them from doing stuff… Not stuff which was unbalancing or anything. Just… stuff that was fun. “Oh you want to easily group up to do raids? TOO BAD.”

It was… weird.

I understand why they got rid of the loot cave… but I still miss the loot cave.

I don’t know that I’d call it super short. They open with the first campaign mission, which is rather long by destiny 1 standards, and then there are 2 PvP crucible arenas including what looks like a new game type, as well as a 3 - player PvE strike, which was more involved than just about all of the destiny 1 strikes.

Super recharge in the crucible was so slow you never really got to use it, but there are new abilities bound to holding B down.

I played as a titan, not sure if you can switch classes in the beta.

Love that Fillion is back as Cayde-6 (at least in the intro mission. …).

I spent a good 3-4 hours playing last night

Theres really another great game here somewhere, hidden. Hope they let it show at release.

Agreed. A grind game needs a fabulous core loop otherwise all the window dressing in the world can’t save it. Destiny 1 is probably the best feeling shooter I’ve ever played, Destiny 2 feels off to me somehow. The first time I pulled a trigger in Destiny 1 I was smitten kitten, in the D2 beta I was kinda looking at the screen sideways with a “eh” look on my face.

Truthfully that’s probably enough for me to pass on Destiny 2. I just don’t see myself logging 1.5K+ hours into a game where I’m not crazy about the feel, regardless of story or technical wizbang.

Bring on the Monster Hunter World!

Beta feels like more of the same to me. For all the good and bad that entails.

It is always possible that I’ve just had my fill of Destiny so that has me less excited for how it plays. I didn’t bother downloading the original to compare.

Why do all the guns feel like children’s pop guns?

The feel of the guns was limp and there was no sense of impact besides watching healthbars decrease. I have to go play Killing Floor 2 as a palate cleanser.

I now regret the bandwidth I used downloading the beta. I was thoroughly bored.

They did seem a little puny. I laughed a bit when I was given a yellow weapon, a pistol that could make enemies explode, in the first level. And it really didn’t seem all that kick-ass, really. A decent weapon, but I still had to rely on powers to deal with the mini bosses.

definitely odd, since mouse is more accurate/precise anyway that you would give the recoil to the gamepad instead. either both shoudl have it or only pc. so weird.

This beta feels extremely bad. There’s just no other way to put it.

Honestly, I can’t tell if it just feels bad because I’ve played other games since destiny, and destiny was this bad, or if they actually got worse than the original. I kind of feel like it’s the latter.

The main game I have to compare this to is Titanfall, but the contrast is pretty stark.

The movement is super floaty and not at all tight. Jumping feels like you are totally disconnected from anything. Was it like this in destiny? I honestly don’t recall.

Movement as a whole feels disconnected from the game world. It feels like you are just watching through a camera, rather than actually moving through the environment. I mean, I realize that is exactly what is happening in any shooter, but it just feels wrong somehow. Does anyone else get this impression?

The guns feel like total garbage. Like they are shooting BBs. Not that the time to kill is too long necessarily, but that the guns just don’t have any real impact to them. I tried all the guns I had in my inventory, and they all feel bad.

The FOV seems absurdly narrow. What is it, like 60 degrees?

Overall, this was incredibly disappointing. And this comes from someone who played destiny non stop for months.

Guns were meh, the rest was pretty much destiny 1… except the hunter felt not so good… although lighthning-monk was ok I guess.

The legendary gun I got was nice though, ended up using that throughout. CAnt go wrong with explosions, man.

Yeah, I had over 2k hours into Destiny and I’m pretty sure the original felt a lot better. Not sure what happened.

I played the hunter, and it seemed super clumsy feeling.

It has a whole build need on melee, but the mechanic for dodging and melee felt cumbersome and poorly conceived. The melee in Titanfall feels infinitely smoother and more acrobatic, and the hunter has a whole skill line built around this and somehow does it worse?

Maybe the other classes were better, but even the core gun play was just bad feeling. I haven’t played the original destiny in a while, but it doesn’t feel like this, does it?

I played as a Warlock yesterday in the open beta on XB1.

Impressions:

• Holy smokes, this is a gorgeous game. I didn’t know the OG XB1 was capable of this.
  • As usual in a Bungie game, the gunplay felt so good. Looks like they’re going retro in this one. Just like with Call of Duty, looks like they’re going back to WW2 weapons. The gun you start with felt like the MP40 in WW2 games.
  • The Earth’s super-low gravity takes some getting used. If you hold down the jetpack for a second too long, when you stop you slowly float to the ceiling and have to wait for gravity to slowly bring you back down. This would be perfect for the Moon, but it’s weird that this is supposedly Earth. Maybe in the future Earth has lost some of it’s gravitational pull in their incomprehensible scifi-goobledygook?
  • The difficulty felt a tad easy in these two missions. That’s my main concern with the game. I loved Halo on Heroic difficulty, and sometimes Legendary difficulty. This felt more like playing Bungie games on Normal.

If there’s time tonight, I’ll try out the Strike and the Crucible.

I played the Strike on Tuesday. The two random people I played with were really nice, and seemed just as new to the beta as me, even though it was the last day of the beta. So that was nice. We revived each other a lot.

I really thought this whole beta was impressive. I didn’t get to try out the Crucible, but both the single player mission and the Strike were both really impressive to me. The shooting with the World War 2 style weapons feels just fantastic, as does the movement and jumping, once you get used to it. It’s definitely different from other games, that’s for sure. But I don’t think it’s all that different from Destiny 1. But it has been a while, so maybe I’ve forgotten.

Still, I don’t get the negative reaction above. Maybe it’s because I haven’t played Titanfall 2 yet, so I don’t come in with that set of expectations?

Ya, I don’t get the disconnect… I just didn’t get the warm fuzzies from the gunplay in this, but I’d be hard pressed to explain exactly what was wrong with it. Maybe it was just that the guns didn’t feel like they had much oomph to them.

Titanfall has a much lower TTK compared to any Bungie game, so that might be part of it. You’re never just unloading a whole magazine into a target, you’re instead murdering tons of targets. The guns in D2 felt like bb guns. Part of it might just be that they “felt” like bb guns too. The sound and stuff just lacked punch.

But whatever, just cause I didn’t like it doesn’t mean its bad. And it’s just beta, so it might change some.

That is probably a good observation. In a world before Titanfall 2, Quake Champions, Killing Floor 2, Lawbreakers, etc. existed Destiny 2’s core gameplay would be ok. Now it feels like a waste of time (to me) since I can be playing those other games with far superior movement and weapon feel. Destiny 2 just feels floaty and the guns don’t have satisfying feedback.

I had a similar observation to Timex in that the guns felt like bb guns or pop guns. Part of that is the animation, sound design, and enemy reaction. I wonder if another part is that this is more of an RPG shooter and I had a strange reaction to The Division where I was firing powerful rifles into unarmored dudes and barely phasing them…and that just felt off.

Pre-order to get Coldheart, an exotic Trace Rifle.

No big deal. It’s a pre-order gun in a game with a zillion guns. Whatever.

But not mentioned in that trailer is the fact that there’s an exclusive stat-tracking Ghost that will only be available via pre-orders with some retailers.