Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Guarantee you’ll be able to get a kill tracker ghost in the game later.

Kill-Tracker Ghost will be added to the game and available to all players on December 5, 2017.

– That is 3 months of kills you’ll be … not tracking anywhere but the web site, since they probably have no plans to add anything remotely useful in game, yet again.

Ghost hell. I’ll be tracking kills by the slashes I cut into my forearm.

Re:the oomph.

In the context of the initial mission, it kind of makes sense. The Red Legion of the Cabal was able to attack the tower and the traveler, the most secure spot on earth. It makes sense that they are elite soldiers as compared to the destiny 1 cabal, etc. Can even make the argument in the strike that a lessening of the traveler’s light has changed the power, I’d suppose.

It’s very much modeled on Halo’s movement and gunplay, which makes sense obviously since Bungie made their name with that franchise. It’s what they know best.

But over the years, as shooters have evolved on console, we’ve gone from bullet-sponge enemies and floaty movement to compensate for the controller, to much faster, much twitchier gameplay. Modern-day Call of Duty, Battlefield, and other popular shooters like Titanfall and Overwatch are lightning-fast compared to the Halo style. Much lower TTK with a lot more options for traversal and situational awareness.

Frankly, it’s a big part of the reason that Halo has been struggling these past couple of installments. The FPS audience just does not care for that style of gameplay any longer.

I was trying to find out how to pre-order it since I wanted that ghost… and all the products were sold out…From what I read, you get it from PSN Store as well, but I did want a PS4 PRO Destiny 2 bundle…

Maybe I can get one shipped over here. Only problem is that I’ll have to pay a sales tax there, then another tax + “we hate you buying from the internets” tax, so it will probably be closer to 600£ than 399£.

What they did with Destiny makes me want to wait on getting this one. I bought Destiny at launch, played for hundreds of hours, and then they released those little expansions, and then another thing and then another thing, and then it was cheaper to get the whole package than it was to get the individual expansions or season passes.

So that has taught me that if I wait, I could get Destiny 2 with a bunch of other content later in a bundle.

OTOH, if it’s like Destiny, the single player campaign will be best at launch, and they will mess up the difficulty later in patches.

From what I heard, Destiny 1 was pretty grindy at launch. Only reason I’d want to have played it at launch and not started 1 month before Year 2 began (just in time to get all the achievements done…) is to get the 2 launch achievements from the “Year of Triumph 3” book…

But you make a good point, I could probably get it a lot cheaper later on… but… then I wouldn’t get a brand new DRM 4 PRO box. Decisions Decisions. Arguably, getting it on the PC would be cheaper, just need a new hard-drive and install a clean OS, but… the PS version will probably be better (and a lot more expensive…).

But the demo ran well enough on the legacy Playstation, so maybe I can just keep that. Considering I only own 3 games on my console I probabaly shouldn’t be looking into a replacement just yet… (Maybe a PRISM ONE Pro, if Crackdown 3 hadn’t looked like meh…)

Did they make the campaign easier or harder with patches, I’d assume they made it easier.

This sounds about right… I guess when I played Destiny, prior to getting into Titanfall, primarily running around on the ground was a normal thing.

But at this point, I’m used to being able to tear through the map, choosing how I move, beyond simply floaty jumping… so it feels really restrictive and clunky.

At launch, you could play each mission on Normal or Hard. On Normal, it was too easy, on Hard it was just perfect. About like playing Halo on Heroic, or maybe Legendary at times.

After they changed it, Normal was the same, too easy. But Hard got changed so that it was pretty much impossible. Instead of enemies being two levels above Normal, they were 4 levels above Normal, so you would have to shoot at each enemy for literally minutes at a time just to kill one enemy. And there was nothing you could do about it, because the level gates what weapons you could use by level, so if you were level 8, you couldn’t use a level 10 weapon. So you were forced to use low powered weapons, so your only real option was Normal. Hard was no longer an option unless you leveled up your character first by playing other modes like Strikes first, and then went back to Single player.

Well, for me the idea of getting it at launch would be to climb the level curve and experience the content with friends, as opposed to just getting twinked by them later. But yeah, from an SP perspective waiting a year or more is definitely more cost effective.

As for my negative reaction, I wonder that I’m just not that into Destiny anymore. Maybe the game doesn’t feel as good to me since I’m just not that into it anymore. Who knows.

I’m hoping Warframe’s open world thing will be released before D2, that way, I’ll probably forget about Destiny.
I tend to hop between them depending on which one had the latest patch/update.

Considering Bungie added a “Launch Achievement” criteria for the book of Triump Y3 (you could skip it for max rank, but not all unlocks) I guess that means a lot of people need to get ‘in on the action at launch’ or they’ll never get those “shinies”, whatever they may be.

Yeah, like all my friends, I think you played it too much. I only had a couple of hundreds hours into the game, while all the rest of my friends had over a thousand hours I think. By the time The Taken King came out, none of them ever wanted to hear the word Destiny ever again. So that’s the reason I never got Taken King, since none of them would be joining me, and the game had already turned the single player campaign difficulty into craptacular city.

According to bungie.net I am at around 1200 hours (yikes) on this, since June 2015. Think I have around 1500 for Warframe.

Where do you see hours? Do I have to go to profile and then select the character, or is there a different screen which shows hours played?

Edit: Ah yes, it’s by character. I totalled all 3. 112 hours on my Warlock, 7 hours on my Titan, and 13 minutes with the third character. Total 120 hours played.

That’s a long time!!! That’s longer than Witcher 3 play time.

Only 13 minutes for Hunt<3r??

Seriously, Hunter was my main. All this talk about Destiny 2 kind of makes me want to reinstall, I think I only got about 500 hours or so out of it so I feel a little cheated. Never tried the last expansion either, maybe it added a lot of awesome! OK don’t tell me if it didn’t.

Yeah, Only 7 hours with the Titan because I spent 5 hours just trying to do one mission in the newly tuned single player campaign on Hard. Then I tried playing on Normal, and it was easy and boring. And then I tried the Hunter in the campaign, and again on Normal difficulty it was so easy and boring, so I quit playing Destiny.

On launch, playing through the campaign on Hard was so much fun. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my time playing Coop with friends too. But that time playing the super-well tuned single player on Hard, failing missions but coming soooooo close. That time was also excellent. It’s a shame they re-tuned the game the way they did. I thought I would have all the time in the world to go back and play it as the other two characters. But by the time I did, they had changed it.

They did, but you still need to roam the internets to find a group for it, since Bungie in their wisdom didn’t see fit to include a MATCHMAKING system for Raids, nor any means to communicate with other players ingame without loading up the UI, waiting 3 minutes for it to load, then sending spam messages. Or I suppose you could join a “Playstation Community” is an option, if you have a keyboard hooked up to the PS4 to type the story.

Did them at launch and got the gun to show from it… they are kinda nice, have some good parts, and some typically shitty parts. Lots of trial and error for untrained players, or just the wrong class for some of the content.

You can still finish Year 3 triumph and get the t-shirt, offer ends in August.

Aha, but I play on Xbox! That’s right, you know somebody that owns an Xbox One, you lucky bastard.