Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Hahaha :)

Hope it isn’t as horrible to navigate the ui + xbox ui there… but if it is, I feel your pain :)

Reddit has a useful community for Destiny though, there’s a group finder there, where you plugin your details and ocasionally get invited or spammed with friend requests.

I actually used to be a member of Dads of Destiny, that was a great group for finding people of a similar age (I’m old) and playstyle (I’m not hyper competitive and would rather group with other laid back folks). But I think you get dropped out of your group if you aren’t active for a certain time period and I didn’t feel like getting going with a new one all over again.

As for the UI, you get used to it. Navigating is second nature these days.

So, PC News is out.

They’re going with some rootkit style stuff clientside that prevents you from streaming using OBS amongst other things.
RIP.

What? Why?

LOL, Activision is amazingly fucking stupid

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46102/7_This-Week-At-Bungie--08032017

They’re blocking code injection to stop cheating. Obviously that won’t work, but it’ll take more effort to cheat, anyway. It is not a rootkit.

Basically this means there are some restrictions capturing the game in exclusive fullscreen mode; you have to use screen capture rather than game capture in OBS, FRAPS and discord “who’s speaking now” overlays won’t work, etc.

Of course you can just play in a window or fullscreen borderless and everything will work just fine. Usually this drops your framerate by ~5%, no big whoop.

Oh, whew. OK, this is not a big deal then.

Get out of here with your facts. We only have room for “the world is ending everything is shit” hyperbole, thank you very much.

It’s ultimately futile and mildly annoying. But yeah no big whoop.

it’s also amazingly stupid and will steep them in bad press.

I would say mildly stupid, because it won’t actually stop cheating and will annoy their most visible proponents, streamers.

AND most likely require an installation of a third party “application” to keep track of everything on your computer whilst you play the game, as well as trying to defeat attacks on itself and the “client” application through means, thus, rootkit like behaviour.

But we’ll know for sure how terrible it will be in PC beta later this month.

Still, sucks. Would’ve liked it for them to stay inside the client only, and solely in the client (like WOWs Warden) or serverside like Fairfight (https://www.gameblocks.com/) i.e. NON INVASIVE.

It will probably also mean that it will prevent you from using Reshade to improve the graphics.

By having it clientside, the good cheats will still bypass it most likely, everyone else will be probably be forced to run some shit on their computer that serve no purpose.

It’s an online-only game, I don’t see why they couldn’t check for rogue code injection locally in the client and verify checksums against Bungie’s servers. No need for rootkit type behavior.

Remember Raph Koster’s famous line, “The client is in the hands of the enemy”. Never trust the client.

Booyah!

• Well, what is rogue code
    Reshade? Improving or changing graphics to how the players want it to look?
    A video capture application that hasn’t paid them money?
    A hud overlay showing more information to the player

• and how should they check it?
    An external program installed as a device with Ring0 access scanning every running application and file for ‘known signatures’ with a heartbeat method to ensure it is running as well as that there is no modifications?

The goal is to avoid cheating in PVP, a minor part of the game for many, a major part for some.

Behavior systems such as Fairfight should be able to detect most of this, and server-side values for ammo and whatnot, checked at intervals with what the client has reported should surely suffice for most. If a player with wallhack and whatnot clientside has to “adjust” his playstyle to not be detected by the system, surely it has served his purpose as the player will be unable to dominate any more than a normally skilled player, as anything else would ‘flag’ the player.

I am sure that there will be things deemed as cheats for the game on PC, the question is just how much the “normal” players must suffer for a false sense of security (a bit like airports) through invasive and restrictive systems enforced upon them. Although, if they go purely client-side, there will hopefully be some way to bypass whatever invasive and restrictive “bundle” they put with the client, so you can just install the hack to avoid having to run the rootkit to play the game (a bit like how you can bypass EAC for Ghost Recon to play without that spyware running while you play.)

Pop-Tarts with Destiny2? Hmm. Wonder what that will be.

A less satisfying shooter than the Toaster Strudel shooters gamers could be playing.

Hahahah. I’ve never seen a toaster strudel, but I remember seeing those comparison ads on TV in the early 90s.

Along with Poptarts, Rockstar Energy Drink is another renowned lifestyle partner for the Destiny Universe.

“In collaboration with Rockstar Energy Drink and Pop-Tarts, we chose strategic, renowned lifestyle partners in major markets to bring the Destiny 2 universe to life,” said Activision senior vice president of product management Byron Beede.

Pop-Tarts? Energy drinks? Pffft.

Check these out:

Only worth buying if Numskull is a Renowned Lifestyle Partner™.