Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Apparently they made call to arms way easier to get… like only half as many matches required.

Got my Rat King, this week’s Nightfall is a good one for that. There’s a fixed time limit, so no need to perform tricks to collect all the extra time. And all the class abilities recharge super fast. If you have a void Hunter in the party, they can basically stay permanently invisible and do most of the unlocks with no fighting.

(But the boss is no joke; in the final phase you can end up with so many adds on the field that you can’t survive more than a few seconds after respawning. And you’d better have run the Pyramidion strike often enough to get past the instakill traps reliably).

I’m your huckleberry.

Yeah, I’ve got a fully-unlocked (all sub-classes) and decently equipped Hunter and Warlock. I’d love to unlock my Rat King later this week. Boardgames tonight.

I’m starting to run out of things to do, though I’ve easily gotten my money’s worth from Destiny 2.

Got 2/3 characters to 300 light with this reset. Still need to grind a bit with the Titan before cashing in the already achieved Milestones; but expect it to hit 300 as well.

Did the non-boss parts of the Raid tonight with a group that had run it before (and could therefore give me the simplest job). It was fun, even though I was technically not doing anything but following a very short list of orders. “Stand here; shoot at stuff; when X happens, do this; then shoot at this different stuff”. Though always instructions that were just ambiguous enough that the first couple of failures were on me doing something wrong.

Obviously there are some jobs that require a much higher quality combat execution, communication and decision making. So I’m definitely interested in running it a few more times and learning the other roles too. As it is, getting to the raid chests was the hardest part :) I really want to do the next raid blind or semi-blind; working out what’s really going on in these things and coming up with a strategy sounds like just my thing.

I also gave the Prestige Nightfall a couple of attempts with people who’d managed to do it once before. That thing is just brutal; it’s like everything one- or two-shots you. So it appears to require some ridiculous cheesing and flawless execution. (How ridiculous? I asked what weapons I should bring, and was told it didn’t really matter. But having pulse grenades was mandatory. The only way they’d found to kill the boss fast enough was with pulse grenade spam. Guns and supers were mainly for clearing adds).

Does anyone new to Destiny not know about https://destinyitemmanager.com?

It’s almost essential, letting you manage inventory across all your characters and the vault entirely from the website, from anywhere in the game, as well as saving and equipping specific loadouts or maximizing your power. It’s embarrassing that Bungie doesn’t have something like this of their own (and that their in-game inventory handling is so clunky for that matter).

Enjoy!

Why is it useful to access that stuff outside the game?

And possibly related question: What do you store in the vault? Don’t you just keep one type of each weapon and one type of each armor and recycle the rest for currency? You don’t need the vault for that, you can just keep that in your inventory.

So far I’m keeping one of each legendary weapon while I get a feel for what’s good. At some point space will make that impractical, but for now, I’m keeping everything purple I can get my hands on. So it’s helpful to quickly see if I’ve already got one of something I just picked up, and then swap out and dismantle the lower power one (or use the higher power one to infuse something else).

I’m also working on a couple different sets of armor, which is almost purely for aesthetic reasons and not nearly as big a collection (there are some ugly styles I’m never going to bother collecting), but it’s helpful in the same way there.

DIM also recently added a UI feature where legendary gear that also has legendary mods has a gold border around it, which is very useful if you’re trying to remember what’s expendable and what you’ve already “invested” in with a mod.

And to clarify it’s not so much that I’m doing this outside of the game, but that while playing, I don’t have to go back to the tower or farm to access the vault. I can just find a safe corner wherever I am—in a mission, on patrols, etc.—and start moving stuff around.

Just a note: there’s no real need to try to maximize the power. The loot levels will be based on the maximum (base) power you could possibly have on that character based on the items in your vault and all the character inventories. The power level of what you’ve equipped doesn’t matter.

(Obviously you’ll want to equip stuff of appropriate level for whatever mission you’re doing. But the “maximize power level” button in DIM is basically useless in Destiny 2. I understand it was more useful in Destiny 1).

It’s true that you don’t need your best gear equipped to influence drops and Engram reward levels, but I still find it helpful when equipping for a nightfall or anything challenging to start with the highest power I can be and then swap out weapons from there to whatever’s more appropriate for the situation.

And when you’ve only just hit 280+, you do have to actually be wearing the 280+ gear to be able to swap and buy legendary mods from the gunsmith.

So yes, not as crucial a feature as it was in D1, but still a Very Good Feature.

I found Destiny’s “hard mode”. When starting a fresh character, charge through every mission as fast as you can, skipping every fight it doesn’t make you complete, thinking you’re on the fast-track to finishing the campaign.

Because then at some point you’ll realize you’re under-leveled for the missions. There are actual requirements that prevent advancement—I started a mission as a level 7 Titan, got to level 8 by the end of it, but the next mission available required level 11 or higher. But even ignoring the enforced level requirements, that mission I just finished was pretty rough.

I don’t mean this as a serious suggestion of course, just surprised to find I can’t breeze through the campaign like I hoped. I really do need to take the time to stop and kill things and level up.

Thanks. I’ll try that out with a Hunter and Titan.

Meanwhile, with my current character, I did the Blue mission on Io, and it was actually kind of tough in parts! So I had some real fun for the first time in the game, because it was the first time the game wasn’t just run, point and shoot. I actually had to use my super, melee, grenades, healing circle, etc. I had to take cover. This is the sort of stuff I missed from Destiny 1 that hasn’t been there yet in the sequel, so I was happy to finally experience a fun mission.

I was rolling around the EDZ with a level 11 hunter last night and getting fucked up by Cabal on the regular. That’s hard mode. Do a lost sector at light level 120.

There’s nothing more humiliating than cruising along on a sparrow (that my LL 270 Titan transfered over to my newbie) and getting 1-shot exploded by a roaming Cabal Interceptor. Twice.

I am sending news here that this week nightfall is really fun. So pick two friends and if you can. Destiny works better when is about space magicks and empowered guardians.

Yes, I want to do the clan Nightfall. Anyone with me? Tonight isn’t good, but this weekend we should be able to kill it

Pyramidion is probably the best strike in the game (I think - not sure I’ve seen them all yet) so it makes sense this would be a fun nightfall. Maybe I can get in on a guided run.

Think I’ve finally hit the advancement wall though. My light level is 267, and all legendary drops I’m getting are 265, no higher. My MIDA is 281, so I’m guessing exotics drop higher and the idea is I should imbue any legendaries I want to keep with exotics that I do not? Anyway, not a huge deal if I don’t get much higher, I’m just in it for the lulz anyway.

You get higher level stuff from the milestones and quests. Once you reach 276 or so, they start going up. I think the ones I get now from regular turn ins are 271?

Which quests, you mean the blue flag ones? Those usually result in an exotic drop don’t they, like the MIDA quest line?

Yeah, the blue flags. Or the ones that drop like the Multi Tool

You need to start paying attention to mods. Some purple gear, and all exotics, have mods on them that boost their power level by 5. If you have 2 chest pieces that both report power 265, and one has a +5 mod on it, its actual power level is 260. If you infused that one with the other, it would bring its base power level to 265, and with the +5 mod, you’d get a 270.

Paying attention to those mods will enable you to make incremental improvements that really help. I’ve managed to inch my way to 280 now.