Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

The gunplay and combat was fantastic (for a console) but everything else in Destiny was a wet blanket wrapped around a weak handshake.

I enjoyed playing through the basic “story” stuff solo but didn’t continue once the grinding/leveling part started. I treated it like a bunch of FPS solo/challenge maps against AI bots lightly strung together.

I really like Blizzard’s launcher. This is good.

If this results in Destiny cosmetic items in Overwatch or vice versa I will be bankrupt on loot boxes within minutes of launch.

PC version will be a few weeks after Console release.

I think we can assume Destiny will be adopting the Loot Box model that every other Blizzard game is using now.

No, not at all. One of the things that Bungie always gets right is the feel, and just the mechanics of playing the game is very satisfying. The plot makes zero sense, but just the full range of options, whether you’re into PvE or PvP is pretty strong.

Do not like.

Never could figure out why they didn’t release on PC.

Yeah, playing solo, I found it to be a slog and have yet to finish the last few story missions. Maybe because I selected warlock as a class? Do you get other weapons in other classes btw? Because I found the weapons in general quite uninteresting, and the enemies were, quite frankly, just dull. They were either hovering left and right behind columns or rushing you, which was a huge step back from their Halo games.

I can see it being more fun playing with friends though.

First time I played Destiny 1 was well after the rush died on Taken King and playing solo was boring. Got to highest level (not light level) and said screw it after about 20 or so hours.

Rejoined at rise of iron with a bunch of friends and ended up putting an additional 4 days of gametime in it and had a blast. Looking forward to playing it on PC with my people.

Looks good. I like that they have not dropped some of the key elements.

on the negatives the PC version is delayed, and some nerfs to movement fun.

Everything looks soo shiny, can’t wait to play! :-)

Hmmm, so they announced 4 planets at launch and 1 raid…which in Destiny speak is 4 semi-large maps with recycled assets. Even if they include the old planets Destiny 2 is looking as anemic as 1 was at launch.

No dedicated servers on PC (and presumably consoles too).

I was hoping Bungie would improve the garbage netcode from Destiny 1. High ping gave players advantages in PvP matches so some would artificially create higher ping situations by using lag switches (or other means) and DDoSing an opposing team during high stakes matches also became a thing.

I’ll give Bungie the benefit of the doubt but this isn’t great news.

This is just for the PvP matches, right? I mean, the regular PvE stuff has to be on Bungie/Blizzard’s network.

Yeah I would assume for the PvP. My experience in Destiny PvE was fine save for the occasional disconnect that would abruptly end a mission. I abandoned the PvP fairly quickly once I noticed the problems.

How does a supposed AAA developer released a shooter in 2017 with no dedicated servers…what fucking joke…

Oh, and I love this bit of spin from Bungie:

[quote]
What’s the prominence of the PC version? Is it being worked on mainly by Bungie itself in Seattle? Is it one of the other studios handling the PC version?

So we kind of have embarked on an interesting situation. We’re not outsourcing it. Instead, we’ve developed this true partnership with Vicarious Visions in Albany, New York. We look at them as an extended part of the dev team.[/quote]

We’re not outsourcing it, but we are.

They’re in-sourcing. Brilliant !!!111111

You know, Destiny 2 coming to the PC is a big deal. And yet:

1. It’s being released later (rumored, if strongly rumored; scratch that it’s for sure it seems) than on consoles.

2. Ps4 gets exclusive time locked content, maybe for all content released for the game forever.

3. PC development is being handled by another studio hundreds of miles away which is entirely separate from Bungie.

I can buy that there’s no way Bungie could handle all 3 platforms development on their own (I have no idea how big the studio is but they haven’t done a PC game in like a million years right?). But if I was going to look at this in a less than charitable light, I might suggest that Destiny 2 coming to the PC isn’t as big a deal to Bungie as it is to PC gamers who want to play Destiny 2. It sure feels like the enthusiasm for the initial news has been dampened considerably.

Nice to see Vicarious Visions is still getting work. I know them as a Space Sim fan because in the dying days of the Space Sim genre, they were working on a game called Terminus, which sounded like it would be the ultimate update to the Privateer formula: an open universe with it’s own economy that functions outside of the player. And you could start a career in the military, as a privateer, and various other roles. It seemed like my dream game for the years it was in development.

Sadly, it came out and I hated it because it had an ugly font and interface, and the Newtonian Physics were much harder to control than in a game like I-War which gave you lots of ways to easily control your ship.

But it’s good to see they are a studio that’s still around. They’re also the ones that did such a SUPERB job porting DOOM 3 to the Xbox. I hated DOOM 3 on the PC, but Vicarious Visions did an amazing job with the Xbox port. They made the whole campaign playable as a coop game, and they changed the lighting so that instead of every room being dark, you had a great variety of lighting, and when the dark rooms came, they were much rarer and it was very tense compared to the original. They have way better level designers than id software at that time.

I hope the PC version is not cause of strife for the devs and the community. Having a PC version was a decision that open the a Bungie game to some players that don’t have to have interest to own a console. That by itself is good, but I fear is a risky proposition for players and devs. Playing on the consoles is the safe bet, of course, so risk adverse guys can get the PS4 version (or Xbone is that what they own).

Recent console game releases in the PC where not good. See: The Division.
Cheating was rampant.