Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

I’m really curious how this is going to go over on the PC. Seems like the ways Destiny ignores or puts and inexplicable spin on some “solved” problems in both the PvP FPS and MMORPG worlds is setting it up for the PC player base to tear it apart.

And yet, the coworker I know who’s most into PC gaming and MMOs, also loved Destiny 1 on his PS4 and can’t wait for D2 on his PC. Gonna be fascinating.

So I finally tried Ikora’s replaying of an early mission. It was the mission in which you rescue Cayde on Nessus.

Now this is more like it! The game actually has a purpose! I had to take cover! I had to use grenades, use melee, change weapons, use my super-ability and use tactical retreats to get out of trouble! This is the sort of stuff I miss from Halo and Destiny 1!!! Why couldn’t they have made this available from the beginning? Why hide it in the game as post-game content?

I just don’t understand.

Maybe their focus testing showed them that if they provide people with difficulty levels, like in Halo, people will pick harder difficulty levels that are too tough for them and then give up on the game rather than play through it? It’s the only explanation I can think of. The other is less generous, in that they want to get people to their purchasable loot boxes as soon as possible, and they don’t want them to be replaying single player missions and having fun. They want them on the treadmill as soon as possible, with no obstacles in the way.

Now, with that said, I didn’t finish the mission. I kept getting interrupted by having to take care of my son, and then having to take a break for dinner. I knew Destiny 2 would log me out, so I kept trying to eat some of my fish, then run to the Xbox, switch to Destiny 2, move my character, switch back to TV, go back to my fish and rice. But I must have taken too long between one of the times I did that, since Destiny 2 logged me out.

I hate the fact that I can’t pause a single player god-damn mission in a single player game because it’s online only.

And why is it limited to three missions per week? Another head-scratcher. There’s nothing awesome or powerful about the vanguard gear you’re slowly earning from tokens Ikora gives you, what’s the harm in letting people replay those “meditations” on whatever level they want, as often as they want?

Dang, another dip into the reddit this morning and I’m getting all cynical again.

How well would this work for myself, my wife, and my 12 y/o daughter as an MMO/RPG experience that we can play in 30-90 minute intervals? Now that my wife has gone back to school it has basically killed WoW. We need a shorter, tighter experience.

That won’t work for the raids—well, just the one right now, but presuming they’re all like this or D1—at least not without a lot of longer practice sessions and getting very good at them (and having enough people to fill out a 6 member fireteam). The other content would all fit in those windows though.

You’ll all have to be pretty decent FPS players too of course for the higher end stuff like the raids and nightfalls.

And to add on to what Wholly said, there is a lot of other content (besides the raid) that works in your circumstance. Literally everything in the game is broken into half hour chunks, both during the campaign and after. Honestly, now that I’m thinking about it, I’m really thinking that’s what they might be chasing- even after bringing my two characters up to ~300, there’s at least one planetary quest line that I haven’t played yet (IO), and I think only one planet I’ve done all the side quests. Sure, I was doing milestones, etc instead of that content, but eh.

That said, I did my milestones last week and hit 300. I haven’t logged in this week- I’m back into Warframe. My friend that dragged me in didn’t even last as long as I did- back to his WOW raiding guild. I’ll probably fire it up intermittently, though.

I hesitate to say there’s “a lot of content” in the context of someone coming from WoW, but yes, within Destiny itself, a lot of the content fits into those shorter play times.

Hah, well, yeah. I haven’t played wow since Burning Crusade? And I never even reached the level cap for the time. I can’t imagine how much is in there now. He keeps trying to drag me in to that, too, but I have no desire to do that again, even after so long.

I fear I’m going to be of Rock8man’s opinion.

Hell, one of the main complaints I have from these FPS is that health regen make 40% of the combat feel like filler, you aren’t going to really die fighting a few mooks, nor you lose any precious resource fighting them.

Looks like Xur is on Titan this week, selling Sweet Business. I already have one of those so maybe instead I’ll grab Raiden Flux, the hunter chest armor. Almost got every piece of exotic hunter armor by this point, which would have been inconceivable in old Destiny days.

I’m pretty sure I got Sweet Business as part of a quest. I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough currency to buy another anything from Xur this week, so I’m happy he’s selling something I already had.

I wish I could play a Hunter and Titan on a harder difficulty now that I’ve finished the game as a Wizard, or whatever the hell I am.

Got all 3 chars to 305, of course my Main character got there last.

I really think Destiny 2 would’ve been better as an expansion for Destiny 1.
¨

The warlock gauntlets Xur is selling enable some crazy stuff with a devour build warlock.

Every time you punch an enemy to death, it adds a damage boost stack, up to 5 stacks to your melee damage.

At 5 stacks, you are getting something like a 7.5x multiplier on your damage. This means you are punching things for THOUSANDS of damage. Literally thousands. Each punch is like a hit from a max damage rocket launcher.

With devour, each kill refills your health completely.

The total effect here is that you can become an insane punching dealth machine, one-shotting everything while constantly refilling your health.

Played a warlock in beta, but thinking I will start with a Titan tomorrow.

Anyone playing on PC able to invite to the clan?

I’m not certain but I think you can invite or apply cross-platform, at least via the iPad app, and probably the website.

I’m in a different clan so I can’t help you with the Qt3 clan, but if you apply an admin from any platform can let you in.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11958/nvidia-releases-38800-whql-game-ready-driver

For PC gamers that don’t know what all this Destiny stuff is about…

Yes, that’s right. Better “aim assist” is a perk that people strive for on Destiny’s weapons.

Which class should I play, as someone that doesn’t want to do melee shit and wants to be really sustainable/tanky solo?

I don’t expect to do much at max level, just leveling up and seeing the story.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Oh sorry, was that serious?

I didn’t play Destiny 1, so I guess I didn’t know any better? Didn’t expect much story, but is it sub-Halo?