Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

I am confident that whatever happens, PC gamers will handle it with calmness and equanimity.

Well, this assumes you played the Division for the dark zone stuff, which admittedly is what Ubisoft wanted. I couldn’t care less about the cheating and had plenty of fun playing the story.

Completelly agree.

Destiny is a cooperative game with added pvp, and you could play *years* withouth touching the pvp, but I see few people doing that.

I don’t think is safe to buy the PC version, but I don’t want to discourage people from adquiring Destiny, because is a great gaming experience that I want has much people to experience. But console game devs + PC is generally a bad combination, with notable exceptions.

Is that true? I gave up on Destiny pretty early on, but I thought most people did raids, not PvP.

From what my son says, the problem with that was that if you didn’t have people on your friends list, you couldn’t do it, since there was no matchmaking for raids. That’s getting changed for Destiny 2.

I like to imagine Luke Smith the 1UP Podcaster / personality respond to all the spin being spouted by Luke Smith the developer.

Didn’t he pop up on one of the 1Up diaspora podcasts after he caused a kerfuffle with something he said about Destiny 1?

The last PC game they seemed to have worked on was Spy Muppets: License to Croak in 2003.

I am suddenly much more interested in Spy Muppets: License to Croak than Destiny 2!

Some of the character names are Piggy Galore and Dr. Nose. Already that game’s lore is better than “That Wizard came from the Moon”.

I met with Vicarious Visions back when they were working on Skylanders Trapteam. I had pretty good vibes from the studio top to bottom and feel like they were the pinnacle of the vision for Skylanders even though it was Toys for Bob’s baby. I expect they got this project more out of a comment about where Skylanders or Blizzard is going than about Destiny. Of all the things I’m reading (no dedicated servers, delayed PC launch, exclusive PS4 content), I worry more about Activision treating Destiny 2 PC as simply a supplemental revenue stream than the capability of VV. It could be that someone on high decided it was good bean counting to expand Blizzard’s online presence beyond their properties and thus threw VV the directive to port D2 ASAP. This could be bad news for both VV and PC players, but still throw a gauntlet in Valve’s direction.

I felt the same way at launch, it was mostly potential that just wasn’t realized very well. Later on though they managed to change and fix most of my complaints. I had moved on and didn’t go back since it would cost more $$, but I’m tentatively excited about this since they obviously understood most of what went wrong last time.

The best point of Destiny was The Taken King, that expansion was gamers hard drugs.

By the time Taken King came out, me and my friends had already played the game for so long, we just didn’t feel like playing more. Especially my friends who actually bought the two little expansions. I just got the base game, so I didn’t play as much as them. And when the game started making it so that I couldn’t play every daily and every weekly and the top strikes anymore, that’s when I started getting weened off the game and I was freeeeeee! See ya suckers.

Oh wait, where was I? Oh yes, The Taken King. Every time that’s on sale for $13 or less, I wonder maybe I should go back and play that in single player. My friends played it too much (thousands of hours), they weren’t willing to ever go back anymore. But maybe I can enjoy Taken King as a single player game.

When the base game came out, I thought it was excellent as a single player game. Sadly, they kept updating it, and eventually made it so that normal difficulty was too easy, and Hard difficulty was literally impossible because fighting enemies 2 levels above you was suddenly crazy hard instead of just being challenging like it was at launch. That, to me, was the saddest part of the changes of the game. They made it better and better for coop and worse and worse for single player.

So if my friends are unwilling to get Destiny 2 (because they played too much Destiny) then I’m not sure if it will be worth getting for single player. I bet you they’ll make normal difficulty too easy again, and hard difficulty too hard.

They definitely improved the difficulty aspects in Taken King. Older content, like the patrols and old missions, was largely unchanged, but the newer stuff had more intense enemies, greater concentrations, and more events swirling through them to mix things up. The hive ship (or whatever it was) that served as the mission hub for that expansion was a fascinating place just to be. It met the ideal of Destiny’s play style for single-players, allowing you to mess around on your own, but feeling the impact of other players in a positive way.

At this point, I wouldn’t recommend jumping into Taken King if you were already playing Destiny. It just won’t last long enough before getting obviated by the sequel this fall. If you haven’t played Destiny before, by all means, jump in and see what it’s all about.

That was my entry point (in fact, I picked up the PS4 bundle to play it). Never really saw what the fuss was. I thought the game was OK, I played it with a couple friends, but the weapons seemed generic and the character/class customization left a lot to be desired, for me. I just went back to playing Warframe after 5 or so hours.

Well, is about the mysteries,the epic adventure, the battle against incredible odds, and the raid. The weapons are random generated, so is possible to get a bunch of bad weapons in only 5 hours.

Bungie tries to mitigate the news about still using peer-to-peer connections for a lot of the game.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45919/7_This-Week-At-Bungie--05252017

[quote]
So why no dedicated servers?

Matt: Every activity in Destiny 2 is hosted by one of our servers. That means you will never again suffer a host migration during your Raid attempt or Trials match. This differs from Destiny 1, where these hosting duties were performed by player consoles and only script and mission logic ran in the data center. To understand the foundation on which we’re building, check out this Destiny 1 presentation from GDC. Using the terms from this talk, in Destiny 2, both the Mission Host and Physics Host will run in our data centers.

Wait, so we do have dedicated servers?

Matt: We don’t use that term, because in the gaming community, “dedicated servers” refers to pure client-server networking models. Destiny 2 uses a hybrid of client-server and peer-to-peer technology, just like Destiny 1. The server is authoritative over how the game progresses, and each player is authoritative over their own movement and abilities. This allows us to give players the feeling of immediacy in all their moving and shooting – no matter where they live and no matter whom they choose to play with.[/quote]

Well, it felt good in the first Destiny, so whatever method they used works well.

E3 PR:

Any words on what kind of invasive anti-cheat tech they’ll use on the PC version? If they are sticking with Warden as it is in Diablo or WOW it should be ok, if they are doing something shitty like PB/EAC I think I’ll get it on the PS4 instead. Probably have to buy a PS4PRO for the game though, so that is gonna be an expensive title.

Patching 33GB of Destiny 1 on my PS4 now. Hate how long time it spends to “Preparing for Download”. Saw on the pre-order page that D2 is around 70GB.