Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Raises hand.

I use a controller on my PC.

No worries about dominating though. I’m the guy panic-firing into crowds of bad guys and still missing.

Dude! We should start a club!

Yeah, I should be clear that I was talking about pvp i.e. Crucible only. Would it be that outrageous to have a m/k only option? I’m not really that into the Destiny 2 pvp myself but I know from playing past games competitively that the perception of fair play/level playing field is important to me personally even if “skill” often means the player with the lowest latency.

Edit: m/k partition still wouldn’t solve the spoofers in the controller arena so what do you do?

I don’t think clans are working yet on PC. I contribute XP to the clan, but the roster never loads.

I think you might be literally the only person I’ve seen that cares about the PvP. Certainly nobody I know would be passionate to buy a useless kit just for it; most can hardly be bothered to play PvP for an hour to unlock the milestone that’s required for the only form of progress in this game.

Or we could just all accept that the Destiny 2 PvP is totally unsatisfying garbage, and for now resources would be much better spent redoing it than tinkering on the edges. Once they can get people to actually enjoy playing it, maybe they can get enough players to split the PC player pool without totally tanking the already miserable matchmaking times.

I’m pushing 260. Suppose I should finish the story…

Thanks on how to spot a Heroic event is there any way to purposely make it Heroic or is it random? It seems a much better payoff for marginally more effort!

Each event has a specific trigger. Some of these are easier and more obvious than others. For instance, for the Cabal Excavation, destroy the Thresher that flies around. For ether resupply, shoot the two SMALL servitors. Otoh, the glimmer extraction event is much harder to trigger because few people seem to know you have to destroy an innocuous looking machine at each site. There are various guides around the web that detail what to do for each event.

That’s super useful to know, thank you! I’m going to aim to get those triggers done.

Destiny 2 looks great and it’s so easy to get into, I am so glad to see it get done for PC.

One spawns first, then later on three, for four small servitors total. I always make sure I have rockets on hand for that event, if you’re careful and a little bit lucky you can get them all yourself if necessary. The wave of three is also doable with a Titan shield-bash super, which is a pretty fun way to deal with them.

You know, I was just looking and different accounts list two waves or three. I swear earlier there was only a single wave of two. Maybe I just didn’t see some of them? Or maybe the number varies? Don’t know.

Oh my god, that’s the game story?

Overall Destiny 2 is a solid game and recommendable because a) Bungie knows how to make a great shooter and b) this is their second attempt at it. But the lore, the world, the story is… let me see if I can find the right words to describe it… uh, stupid. I’ve never hit esc harder to skip cutscenes.

This is a particular brand of mystic space hoo-ha bullshit that just does not go down well for me. And the end quote, my god, it’s like reading a teenager’s LiveJournal:

You can block it, try to extinguish it, but the Light finds a way

I actively felt dumber after completing this game. I could not cringe hard enough.

Ok, time to post real impressions.

I think I reached 261 Power yesterday night with my Warlock. This means I’ve played for almost the whole weekened, and I hadn’t done that in a good while. I got addicted.
Good, right? The thing is, few times I’ve seen a game falling short of greatness in this way.
Destiny 2 has one of the most enjoyable fights in a shooter I’ve seen in years, the moment to moment action feel is excellent. Nailing down an enemy while he is jumping at you with a jetpack, mowing down robots with a machine gun and see sparks and robot parts everywhere, provoke a chain reaction with suicidical enemies and kill 10 in a fraction of a second, pop up heads of the Red Legion and hear the magnificient feedback of the decompression of their helments, melee fools between reloads, it’s all great.

But if you look at the game more than a ‘moment to moment’ perspective, it starts to feel vacous, entertaining but empty. It lacks something. It lacks difficulty. 80% of the game is too easy (not counting pvp). 80%. Even activities like the strikes or the Heroic Public Events feel easy. You will only have a (slight) difficulty bump from trivialness with the bosses, and a few parts where the enemy count is really high and the scenario is mostly open cover wise; apart from I suppose Nightfall/Raid which are limited options (no public matchmaking, only one raid, only one weekly nightfall). Fairly fast health regen, no consequences for dying (unlike for example Dying Light where at least you 10% of your money, nothing big but at least it’s something), even in the areas where respawn is disabled you only have to repeat usually the last sub-phase of whatever you are doing, you kill most enemies in a single melee hit!, in definitive you feel like a god. Which is fun but somewhat unfullfilling as you notice the dozen enemies you are mowing down were just filler.
Maybe the game was a bit harder with controller, but with mouse it’s just as I described.

And as much I praised the combat feel, the combat still could be better. It fails at the weapon selection.
First, only two weapon slots is very restrictive. Yeah, there is a third one but the super limited ammo means it barely counts. In any case, two or three, it’s just a very low amount.
Second, the weapon balance is iffy. I don’t know about you guys but I’m using 90% of the time assault rifles, or smgs which are AR but for shorter range. Every time I tried scout rifles or handguns or pulse rifles the dps is noticiably worse, they have a high damage per bullt but the dps overall isn’t as good.
Third, limiting some weapon types to the third slot is the worst desgin decision I’ve seen in a good while. Terrible. It means the game limits itself to ARs, smgs (super similar), Pulse (burst) rifles, Scout (semi) rifles, handguns, and mostly that’s it. Shotguns? Grenade Launchers? Sniper rifles? Autocannons? All exclusive to the ammo constrained slot. That’s a lot of variety lost.

Coming back to my Power level (or Power score?), it’s hilarious how useless the progression is. It’s something fairly usual in Action RPGS but at least in Diablo 2 or whatever I remember there were some time windows where you felt more powerful than usual, to then return to your normal level as always. Here it doesn’t seem to do anything at all, because the auto levelling is very strong. So it’s just a number that increases to fool people making them feel better as the number grows larger. At 260 power I need the exact same shots to kill every type of enemy (2 shots for this enemy, 3 for that enemy, 2 short burts for this one, etc) that I needed back when I was at 110 power.

The story? The story is just an excuse to haven an Shooter/Action RPG. The plot is ‘bad guy comes to get the power of the good guys, is defeated’. The whole concept of the game is a flimsy excuse to have a game world with heroic protagonists that are able to respawn and scifi worlds. It’s so much an excuse that at least it can be safely ignored.

Yes, because that system is essentially a cheat device.
Such things really should be banned, but I find it unlikely they ever will. Not sure what they’d even be able to do to detect such a thing.

Be happy you didn’t play the first one then.

It’s the same with a controller.

I agree with your whole review.

If it’s any consolation, we’re in the minority here at Qt3. Most people seem to feel that the difficulty is tuned just fine, and I feel like the lone voice in the wilderness here. When Destiny 1 launched, all the story missions could be done in two difficulties: Normal and Hard. And I played through it on Hard, and it was excellent. That feeling that you’re talking about? About it feeling vacuous because of a lack of challenge? That wasn’t the case on Hard in Destiny 1. But after the expansions to Destiny came out, they patched it so that Hard was impossible, and Normal was still normal, basically what you played in Destiny 2. I suppose the writing was on the wall back then on how they were going to handle difficulty in Destiny 2.

Now, I don’t want to come across as some kind of sadist. I don’t want to always die over and over. I mean, yes, I did die over and over and over in Destiny 1 on Hard, but that’s because I wasn’t as good at it yet as I needed to be. When I used all my power ammo at the right times, when I actually took cover properly, when I timed my grenade use properly, when I activated my super abilities at the right time to get out of trouble, when I used my melee move to finish people off with a well timed whack, when I took the risk to go out into the open to pick up more ammo, when I did all those things almost perfectly, then I got through the mission and oh my god, it felt so good. Nothing in Destiny 1 on Normal or Destiny 2 on Normal feels that way.

Now, with that said, like Wholly pointed out above, you have now unlocked the Meditation missions. Basically these are story missions from earlier in the campaign that are tuned a little better, so that they are actually challenging. You won’t die over and over, but you will have to take cover, use grenades, use your super, etc. in order to get through the missions, and thereby they feel a lot more satisfying.

Difficulty selection? Woah! What an incredible, novel idea! Somehow the game didn’t suppose every player in the world has the same skill and experience? if only there was something like that in Destiny 2! It’s funny how games in 2017 now don’t have things like free savegames or difficulty options, things that we had 20 years ago.

I’m in your position. I don’t have patience for Dark Souls. Nor Spelunky, nor lots of other self-proclaimed ‘hard’ games. I actively dislike having to repeat sections in a game. But still, this game is a bit too easy.
Imo, just having say… 15% less hp (which at the end of the day, it’s like having enemies weapon do 15% more damage) would be enough, as there are a fair amount of times I got close to death but I could heal myself or retreat to cover.

In fact for this type of game I wouldn’t want it to be much harder, as it’s a health regen. shooter, and they have the tendency to play too boringly if they are difficult, constantly retreating to cover to heal, repeat, 3 steps forwards, 2 backwards to cover.

What? How did I wind up as the quoted person there?

Because my tendency to use the quote bubble icon incorrectly.

This was actually not an issue in Destiny 1 on Hard. In the harder missions that I did over and over, there was almost no safe place that you could retreat to for cover. You might be able to get into cover long enough for your shields to come back IF you did some big attack like a grenade or a super, or were at the end of a wave of enemies. Otherwise, if you just tried to duck for cover in single player, enemies would come around the cover and kill you. There’s some very mobile enemies in the game.

Destiny 2 kind of does have this problem, potentially, because that heal move they added in Destiny 2 to the character we were playing allowed him to take cover and heal even if he’s being hit.