Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

So no new classes just one new sub class for each of the existing ones? Destiny 1.5?

I really wish they would borrow a few ideas from Warframe and put some polish on it.

Still can’t fly space ships though, right?
I kind of wish we could play the game that they originally were making when Destiny.

[quote]
Jason Schreier: First thing I have to ask you about: I saw this Game Informer article. In it, you said that you guys will not be talking about The Darkness in the game.

Luke Smith: Yeah.

Schreier: And your explanation was, I believe, something about how it’s not time to reveal that, or you’re focusing on something else, correct?

Smith: Yep!

Schreier: Tell me the truth. Is it because none of you have any idea what “The Darkness” actually means?

Smith: So, I think that at a point, just totally candidly? We had no idea what it was. Straight up. We had no clue.

Schreier: Good! I’m glad you’re being candid today.

Smith: We didn’t know what it was, and we, for a period, we chose [that] we’re going to lump all the races [in together], and you see this in the tooltips in the game. “Minions of the darkness.” And we had taken all the races and said, “Ah, they’ll just be The Darkness.” But that’s not what the IP deserves. It’s like, literally not.[/quote]

Luke Smith is very honest, and thats really good for some things, but the exception is probably storytelling.

Instead of telling people your whole story is bullshit and has not meaning, you can work hard and re-conn it to give it a meaning.

If you are good at storytelling, people would not really mind. It seems (recently reelaed) that the author of Batlestar Gallactica was doing the same thing, but the serie is amazing (except the ending).

My enthusiasm for Destiny 2 is dying a slow death from a thousand tiny paper cuts. Nothing I hear sounds like good news, just a bunch of things that make me go “ehhhhhhh …” Maybe I should just cut it loose and put my enthusiasm into Anthem.

I’m actually fairly psyched for Destiny 2. Not as much as I am for even something like, say, Tacoma, but as much as I am for any shooter. It’s on PC (eventually). It’s releasing with much more content than Destiny 1 (so they say). They’ve learned various lessons about gear, progression and so on. It will actually have a story in-game. My only real concern is that they’ll put all their energies into the raids and it won’t be as fun playing casually.

It all looks like more of the same to me which, if you didn’t play Destiny, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But sounds like they’re going with a yearlong delay on PlayStation exclusive content again, which was tiresome. And their whole “flying by the seat of their pants” thing seems to be continuing as a general development philosophy. I’m sure I’ll still play it, I may just wait for a sale. Assuming my resolve doesn’t crumble, which it usually does.

This is my big worry.

I think the campaign will be more meaty this time. Having large maps will also “pad” the game better.

They have to fill time until the next DLC, if they made a too-short game most people will stop playing soo quick that will not “need” to buy the next DLC.

Writers tend to fall into one of two camps: those that plan things out in great detail before they write (plotters), and those that work more “on the fly”, referred to colloquially as “pantsers”, because of the “by the seat of the pants” methodology. These guys would hardly be the first well-known pantsers. For instance, George R.R. Martin is rather well known for writing himself into corners then killing everyone as a way of extricating himself. (I haven’t actually read his books, but have been told this on a number of occasions).

Both methods can work very well, depending on the skill of those involved. I don’t think that just because they haven’t figured it out yet is necessarily a big deal, though it might increase the chance of having to retcon later.

As an aside, my favorite thing to do as an editor is to find a forgotten detail and weave it back into the story. I think most, if not all, writers subconsciously put things in their work they aren’t aware of. When you can find those, and point them out, and it solves a problem with the story, it can be a truly beautiful thing.

I’m not going to argue the point, at least partially because it’s just one of my concerns. I think my feelings about Destiny 2 can best be summed up in a gif:

Edit: you know, that’s low info. Let me give you a for instance. I saw an interview with one of the writers of Destiny 2, and he was talking about the story of the Exo Stranger being “over.” The character won’t even be in the sequel at all. So, her existence was to pop up for a few seconds here and there, tell you she doesn’t have time to tell you why she doesn’t have time, and then give you a pulse rifle at the end of the game. And then like that, poor, she’s gone. Really? That’s it?

Not time yet to explain anything interview

So, PC release in October

It can be a curse in disguise. Last videos of the PC version where glorious, if they use that time to fortify the PC version and debug it properly, maybe it will be a gem, instead of a embarrasement. We can hope.

Edit:
A bless in disguise

Well, I believe we knew it wasn’t simultaneous. This was the first I’d seen with a timeline.

Seriously, that interview. The answer to every question was “we’re not talking yet about whether that’s even in the game”.

Look, dude, I hate to point this out, but you launch in three months.

I’m telling you, bad feeling about this.

And console beta is a month away

Well, they launched the original Destiny in a seat-of-the-pants manner too, and that turned out pretty well.

It’s funny, that making-of-Halo article really makes it seem like they never recovered from the crunch of Halo 2. So many cancelled projects and rush jobs on all their games ever since then, including Destiny, and now Destiny 2. The only one that wasn’t was ODST: because it was a small group in charge of that project with fewer resources, who put out a passion project, basically.

But really, for projects where so much always goes wrong, they put out a fairly polished product, always, with respect to the core gameplay at least.

I watched a few YOUTUBE INFLUENCERS stream parts of Destiny 2 (via an Nvidia promotion I think) and if you are someone that loved heavily scripted missions and wave-based enemy attacks in Destiny 1 you’re in luck since they come back with gusto in Destiny 2.