Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Hey friends I sent a request to join the clan on XBL. Gamertag is Fashion Zombi.

My old clan of RL friends is just me and another guy right now because everyone quit the game, so it’s really not getting anywhere!

Follow up question, can I have my friend request to join the clan too, or does he need an account here first?

Hey, I ran the raid last night for the first time! Pardon me while I pat myself on the back, and then uninstall Destiny 2. Probably. Eventually.

Great new event now.

Encourages you to do Lost Sectors (todays daily) + for cosmetic unlock, yet, if you do two of them quickly you get a 1 0 minute debuff that may impact your chance to gain loot elsewhere.

Bungo did it again.

Yeah, Faction Rallies were always bad events, mitigated slightly by ways to cheese them in the past. They’ve done nothing to improve the fundamental problems with the events, and have not only fixed the cheese tactics (understandable) but made just normal collection of faction tokens have punitive consequences. I don’t know how they can keep occasionally saying they recognize problems and still managing to not address them, or make them worse. The company is just broken inside somewhere.

The cheese was the most ‘fun’ in any of the events so far in the game. trying to shave off a second here, another there, and racing other players to farm quickest.

Bungo decided to kill that and take collateral damage with them, instead of thinking “Hey, great idea… lets add a tracker, scoreboard and whatnot…”

Hah, I wouldn’t go that far. Running in and out of The Weep wasn’t my idea of fun, it was still a tedious 90 minutes per character to max out faction rally token rewards (which was still no guarantee of getting all actual faction rally rewards).

I think the most fun of the limited events was the mayhem crucible matches during The Dawning. They were broken, but in a big stupid fun way.

I haven’t even touched Iron Banner in D2, and now I’m not going to bother with Faction Rallies either. So of the recurring events, there’s nothing of any interest at all now.

I was looking forward to Iron Banner in D2 since it was my favourite event in D1Y3, but after the first time on my PS4 I was considering cancelling my preorder for PC… I am not sure I’ll bother doing it much next time, unless it is 6 v 6 control mode or something else.

Mayem was decent enough even with the warlocks spamming their void thing and losing the match.

Still need do WIN another 20 matches in “Competitive” mode to unlock the last crucible cosmetic…, going to take me until the end of the year most likely, if at all.

I think the problem is they want to punish players for not playing how they want (with lockouts) instead of rewarding them for playing the way the devs want. This is fundamental psychology and Bungie is far from the first dev team that completely failed to understand this. Punishing players for exploiting poorly thought out mechanics is a lousy way to correct those problems.

It’s very simple. Players (speaking broadly) will do whatever they perceive as most rewarding, even if it is boring as hell. If you want players to clear lost sectors completely, you need to reward them for doing that. The current design is exactly the opposite of that, because it only rewards killing the boss (and blowing up the destructible doodads during this event). you get absolutely nothing for killing the other 30+ mobs.

I actually like doing lost sectors. I think they were a neat idea, but they didn’t do a whole lot with it. They have about as much personality as the random door missions from Anarchy Online.

Something they could have done as an example. Add mini-bosses to the lost sectors. Killing those makes the destructible items appear. Make the regular bosses a little tougher than normal and invulnerable until the mini bosses are killed. Finally, increase lost sector end chest loot significantly during faction rally (to compensate for the fact that these will be more challenging and take longer)

I do like the Lost Sectors. It’s a neat idea to reward exploration. I’m sure there’s quite a few in the game I haven’t discovered yet. I wish they had a checklist of which sectors have them so I could look for them all. But instead every once in a while you get a reward for doing one in a certain sector. And that’s the case whether you already found that one in the past, or not. So instead of exploring new places, it just gets turned into another potential repeatable activity.

After playing pretty heavily from Thanksgiving on, after getting the game on sale, I’ve pretty much stopped now. I got my money’s worth, but while I like the shooting mechanics still, the whole game feels pretty empty of inspiration and lacks any real hook to make me play it over other stuff.

I mean, I was aware of all the talk about extremely incremental power gains, poorly designed events, bungled psychology and communication with the players, but actually experiencing all that was something else :).

They have indicators on the map, and the ones you have never done on a given character are more prominent.

It would be interesting to read a gamasutra postmortem for this game.

I imagine it has been a huge success at retail though, so the best thing for Bungle would be to get people to stop playing as quickly as possible so they could save money on server infrastructure, at least the infrastructure that isn’t already peer-to-dialup.

This was poor communication and planning on Bungie’s part, but people making a huge stink about it are just looking for something to complain about, imo.

If it was an isolated incident I am sure you’d see less complaints about it. It is more like there is a pattern of BS ever since release of Destiny 2 (being a prequel to Destiny 1 in terms of QOL features) that has lead to the
current level of salt.

My gut feeling is that Bungie resents this.

The entire point of “Let us Go or We Quit” to Microsoft was that they didn’t want to work on nothing but Halo.

But as soon as they signed that massive deal with Activision, they got under pressure to deliver Destiny, and nothing but.

Different Boss, Same Story.

Remember how Destiny was supposed to last a long time? But then various this happened, and they had to deliver Destiny 2, and on time, or else Activision gets a huge chunk of the company under the contract.

They delivered, and now it feels like they’re phoning it in.

I kinda agree a bit that Destiny 2, while very polished, lacks that something special that made the first Destiny so much fun. I know reviewers pissed all over Destiny 1, but that game had a certain something and was one of those “more fun than it is good” experiences.

Destiny 2 just kinda lacks that quality. I have a hard time putting my finger on it, but Destiny 2 just feels flat for some reason.

Well, Destiny had a higher difficulty mode that Destiny 2 lacks. I know only me and @TurinTur seem to care about that in this thread, but I think that’s the primary thing that Destiny 2 lacks that Destiny 1 had (and which was later, for all practical purposes, patched out of Destiny 1).

Hey I realize this is likely one hell of a long shot but any Xbox Destiny 2 folks up for trying out the Trials? It’s like the last thing I have never really tried. Kind of like to see what it’s all about.

Funny to read the reddit where Trials player complain about the dwindling population yet still refuse to accept that a solo-queue option would be a good thing. (goes for all activities really).