Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

It’s not that weird. They had to release the game in that window, or Activision contract would come down like a hammer, etc. Bungie always runs out of time and puts something together in the nick of time anyway, and it’s always pretty good despite that.

So, Bungie casually slipped in the announcement of the second DLC for Destiny 2 today, in the middle of the blog post about their roadmap for the game. Apparently, it’s coming out May 8th, less than a month away.

That’s… super vague.

I like the sound of battling new enemies. Maybe. I wish Destiny 2 hadn’t been such a dud as far as getting my friends and I into one gosh darn game together. One was in Poland, one on the West coast, one in Illinois, I guess it was an impossible task to find one time to play together.

It’s crazy how they did Destiny 2 specifically to correct all the mistakes of Destiny, and they’re doing all those mistakes all over again.

Step 1 to avoid doing all the mistakes from the first version:

• Do not fork the sequel from a early build of the first game and forget to “port” all the QOL enhancements made over 3 years. [ Destiny .2]

Was COO an Expansion and not a DLC? … wow.

So the next dlc seems underwhelming. WTF is Bungie doing?

What does that URL mean by “no new enemies”? That was exactly what this expansion was advertised to have.

/me goes and reads the article

Oh. My. God. The “Frozen Hive”…

I’m never preordering a game again. I paid $100 for Destiny 2 and the DLC packs and I won’t even play this one.

I can’t believe how badly they messed up this game.

Bungie seems determined to burn all their good will built up over decades.

I’m in the same boat. Lesson learned. Definitely done with Destiny for the forseeable future.

I pre-ordered this and never played anything but the open beta. What a waste of money.

I don’t play this game because I feel “burned” of it. I still planned to get this DLC, play the 2 or 3 hours of story missions, then leave has soon I stop experience new stuff. But I may change my plan because the scenery they have show is kinda boring. And hive painted white don’t seems interesting. I kind of like what I have seen about noctics god at a aesthetic level. I guest I will watch everything in youtube, instead of ingame.

88% of votes on a Reddit thread were wondering wtf Bungie are thinking when they still haven’t introduced matchmaking for all activities and why they cant offer ‘fair’ matchmaking for crucible (i.e. randoms vs randoms instead of randoms vs. a full fireteam). Meanwhile Bungie has a ‘summit’ to gather feedback where they invite “community” members and Twitch streamers who to a large extend consist of ‘fireteamed’ players lacking the ‘solo player’ perspective. Best we can hope now is that the studio is dismantled and someone else makes D3, or just let it die off and forget it ever got made.

Probably my position. I am not enamored enough with the Destiny IP to care much what happens next for it.

Is that a good idea?

Halo 2 had a playlist that was only full fireteam vs full fireteam, it was a DLC-only playlist. And it was motherf***ing tough as hell. The rest of the playlists were so well balanced, with the best skill matchmaking I’ve still experienced to this day, but that playlist was screwed up man. It seemed like the only people who played that were really really high-skilled teams.

Meanwhile, this didn’t happen in the team playlists where it could be randoms vs full team. And even those were really well balanced in Halo 2.

Good idea to let a group of 4/6 solo players face a group of 4/6 solo players instead of what is more often the case, 4/6 solo players facing 1 or 2 fireteams consisting of 2-6 members who then proceed (more often than not) to curbstomp them in a totally unbalanced match, in terms of “ELO” rating, chance of success and ‘team’ composition?

Yes, I think so.

I realize that. I’m just saying that your solution will be better for solo players. But it might be worse for team players.

My simple answer to the fireteam players who have had ‘free reign’ since D1 release is : fuck em.

Longer answer is;

Fireteams would and should be matchmade against other fireteams, which obviously means that those who have had a easy-mode of farming scrub solo players hastily thrown together to be killed repeatedly by them will now face teams made up of Twitch Streamers who go flawless every weekend, as well as all the other fireteams who have enjoyed the blood of scrubs for far too long, while saying to themselves “this seems fair and is working, they just need to ‘git gud’ and they’ll beat us”.

Bungie are introducing a pvp grind, for apparently a really good weapon, in the “competitive” bracket, which further rewards the established fireteams and will absolutely guarantee that solo players will avoid that bracket even more, and then the scrub-killing fireteams will be matched up against the streaming carry fireteams until they too quit the game in disgust, then they’ll blame bungie and the “TTK” for ruining Crucible instead of looking at their own behaviour for the past 7 months of non-stop slaughter of solo players who dared to queue alone into competitive (when Fireteams already had an ‘exclusive’ PVP mode every week available just for them called Trials…).

At this point I think only Peter Dinklage could get me to care about Destiny again.

Oh man, that’s too good. And it’s probably true.