Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

It’s the “play with your friends tax”, is what I call it. The only reason to pay prices like this is if your friends are playing it, and you want to play with them, so you grimace and you buy it.

But they’ll get cheaper pretty fast if past Destiny sales are any indication. You’ll still be paying for stuff you already bought, but you’ll be paying a lot less so it becomes more palatable.

Remind me not to get any Destiny friends then. I actually own both Destiny (Xbox One) and Destiny 2 (PC), but they’re both solo experiences for me.

I was not aware of this price gouge. I thought it worked like a normal $30-$40 expansion.

Dumb.

I’m one of the few here that actually has few problems with D1/2. They’re fun shooters, and D2 on release was filled with content. I played through it (mostly solo as well) and enjoyed my time.

But $40 is too much for the content in the first two expansions. $20 seems great, and the current sale for $10 is excellent. And paying $60 (or even $40) for Forsaken is too much for the content involved.

The previous Iron Banner was pretty nasty in that it was light level enabled, and a few players were already pushing 570 making them pretty hard to kill for some of the lowbies.

Another thing was that some of the bounties were incredibly grindy and not giving much in terms of reward, like creating 100 orbs. It took me close to 100 iron banner fights to complete all the bounties, that is way to much for a ‘weekly bounty’.

In addition, you never get light upgrades from Iron Banner, despite it being a light enabled activity. Which wasn’t the case in Destiny 1.

With all the weeklies etc to do, there is hardly any time left to play alt characters.

They’ve also made a lot of Clan bounties (how to XP up your clan instead of just – everything you did before --) PVP modes.

So hey, they announced the other day that they were including Season Pass 1 with Forsaken as of today. Not sure what they meant by that (PS4? PC?) because as noted above that’s the way is always been on the Xbone.

This week only, though, it’s all on sale, if you have XBLGold. The Legendary bundle (D2, season pass 1, forsaken) is only $38 on the store. Meaning each of the first 2 expansions is around $10 and Forsaken is $18, which finally seems worth it for the content involved. I may just pick it up at this price. And if you haven’t played at all, it’s a fine time to jump in on Xbox, as it includes the base game, too.

They must be seriously bleeding players.

If I just get the $18 Forsaken, that should include the first two expansions now as well, according to the front page Qt3 story, correct? 3 expansions for $18 actually sounds reasonable. (I already own the base game, obviously).

No, (if you’re playing on Xbox) you still can’t get them separately. It’s all one bundle. I was just breaking it down to how the pricing structure worked for me. Sorry if I confused you.

It is absolutely nonsense that I can’t get Forsaken alone. Unless and until I can, I have no interest.

I agree, it is complete bullshit. But having skipped the first two expansions myself, this is a reasonable deal.

But it was $40 when it was being sold alone, right?

I don’t know, when was it ever sold alone? I never saw it on Xbox marketplace, was it a timed offer?

As I mentioned upthread, I think you could pre-order Forsaken alone on Xbox for $40 if you already had expansion 1/2. But that went away at or before its release- the only way to get it is in the bundle with everything.

I think this is where things stand:

Forsaken was and still is sold alone, the Forsaken expansion retail is $40. That hasn’t changed, though it’s probably the biggest gripe from people—$40 for “just” the expansion when the first two were cheaper.

If you were buying everything from scratch, the Forsaken Legendary edition (don’t let “Legendary” throw you, it’s just the “normal” edition) included D2 and Expansions I and II along with Forsaken, that was $60, and that hasn’t changed either.

What just changed was that if you already had vanilla D2 but no other expansions, you couldn’t just buy Forsaken at $40 until today. You had to also go back and buy Expansion I and II, Forsaken wouldn’t catch you up by itself.

As of today, if you have vanilla D2, you can just buy Forsaken and that will include expansions I and II. Now I don’t know if that’s updated through the digital storefronts yet or not—just looking at the Xbox Marketplace a few minutes ago the $40 Forsaken expansion purchase still indicates it requires those expansions. I don’t know if there are some switches that need to be flipped for this to work, or if that’s just outdated descriptions. So if you own vanilla D2 and nothing else, maybe don’t buy Forsaken right this minute on a console until you’re sure it reflects today’s change to the what’s included, but that’s how things should work.

Oh ok, cool. Long as they don’t make stuff needlessly complicated or anything.

You go girl.

I just checked the Xbox.com site, and before today, that standalone digital edition wasn’t for sale. But hey, it’s $33, so even cheaper than the Legendary edition I saw earlier, as long as it does include the previous expansions. I’ll keep an eye on it, thanks @WhollySchmidt.

Maybe I’m mistaken about the stand-alone version being available before today, maybe that’s part of what changed too.

In my previous post I didn’t mention the Forsaken Annual Pass at all (that’s the two expansions planned post-Forsaken), because I didn’t want to add another level of confusion. But there is a Forsaken edition that includes Forsaken plus that annual pass for $80 (also on sale for less at the moment on Xbox). Maybe there was a period where you couldn’t buy Forsaken without buying that edition? Sounds crazy to me, but I can’t say with 100% certainty that wasn’t the case.

I can. @Rock8man even confirmed it upthread twenty or so posts. As of last time I checked (3 weeks ago, when the expansions were on sale for $10), the only way to get Forsaken was to buy the Legendary edition, with the expansions and D2 base game. So, if I’d gotten that then, it would have cost me $60 to upgrade to Forsaken later. If you went to the online store, there was a note on the Forsaken page that pointed you to the $60 or $99 version if you wanted it. Such amazing bullshit. They’ve always been this way with the Destiny games, though- prioritizing deals for new players that haven’t payed them anything Vs. offering deals to existing players to try to lure them back. Good to know that might be changing, or they might just be desperate.

Yeah, back then the only two options were $60 or $100. Now I’m seeing (on sale for Gold) $80, $72, $39 and $34.

$80 “Complete” includes Destiny 2, premium digital content of Forsaken, previous 2 expansions, annual pass for Forsaken future content, and a character boost.

$72 “Forsaken Digital Deluxe” has all of Forsaken but only Forsaken? It mentions premium digital content, cayde’s stash, annual pass for Forsaken and a level 30 character boost. Doesn’t sound like this one contains Destiny 2 or the two expansions, but from Telefrog’s story today, it sounds like maybe you’ll get access to those anyway?

$39 “Forsaken Legendary Collection” - Destiny 2, Both Expansions, and Forsaken.

$34 “Forsaken” just has Forsaken. But again, from the Qt3 front page, this should now include Expansions 1 and 2.