Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

I’m not trying to argue but I don’t follow what you’re saying. If you’d gotten that, what were you going to buy later?

Instead of “later” substitute “then” or “at that time”. I think that’s what he meant.

Oh, gotcha.

Well I barely even understand what I was saying originally at this point, and in trying to figure this out, I’ve discovered that currently Destiny’s own website shows different/contradicting editions available depending on whether I’m looking on my iPad or my iPhone.

So yeah, it’s all a mess, and I think I only confused things more by trying to explain what I thought was going on.

Anyway, Forsaken is good, and you may or may not be able to buy it!

Okay, I broke down and bought Forsaken. I loaded up D2 Vanilla (still installed on the HD after nearly a year of not playing!). First thing that pops up before you’re even in the game is a message saying Expansions 1&2 are included in Forsaken. That’s a good sign. So I clicked through all the new info on Emotes, Collections, Triumphs, Festival of the Lost, etc. So much new stuff. Then opened the Director (mission guide starmap thing) and poked around. I see all the usual stuff, a little different than I remember it, but all there- daily/weekly activities highlighted, etc.

And a big icon for Forsaken. So I clicked it, and it it gave me the option to buy it alone ($33 XBLG price), or with the Annual Pass (I don’t remember the price $64?). So I bought the basic version. Nothing downloaded, but immediately I have access to Mercury (Curse of Osiris) and Mars (Warmind). The Tangled Shore (Forsaken, I think) also shows up, but isn’t selectable.

So there it is. You’re welcome, I think.

Base game soon to be free for everyone for 2 weeks claim it and its yours to own.

be warned 80gb download zomg - downloading…

Just grabbed a copy for my kids!

destiny pretty much require the last dlc, getting the base game is not much

So what am I missing by just starting out with the free version now? I assume I’ll have to play thru a bunch of stuff before having the Forsaken (and other) DLC becomes an issue, right?

Still, for free I can enjoy some shootery-dressup goodness before I throw down for Forsaken…and maybe even get it at a Fall/Winter sale price in a few weeks.

There’s a lot of content in the base game. I’d say spend some time there and figure out if you enjoy it enough to keep going with the DLC.

Great, thanks. I thought maybe there was some quality of life stuff that Forsaken had maybe that the base wouldn’t. I had tried this back at the end of beta I think and enjoyed it well enough. But not to drop $60 on it. But for free I can certainly see if it’s worth putting time and some money into. And I get to play digital dressup with a space-knight!

Destiny 1 was garbage, but is 2 any good for solo players? Since Blizzard wants me to take a copy of it free, I’m considering it, but I don’t want to waste my time if the base game is unfriendly to solos.

I decent for a single player runthrough.

Cool, thanks.

It’s really easy Solo. I’m not sure if that bothers you like it bothered me. I like playing Halo games on Heroic or Legendary, for instance, not on Normal. Destiny 2’s solo campaign doesn’t give you a choice on difficulty. You play through it on what’s equivalent to normal difficulty on Halo games. If that’s how you like your Halo games, then this will be a perfect fit for you.

If you like playing them on Heroic, they do unlock more interesting and challenging versions of those missions, but only once you finish the whole campaign, and at that point, there’s no point to do doing them all again.

Difficulty in the Destiny games doesn’t work like it does in the Halo games. Your own difficulty is going to be more of a factor of how well geared up you are, and what level your character is in relation to the enemies you’ll be facing.

Oh, Blizzard downloader, how I hate you. Constant drops and stutters getting WoW last weekend and now my dl speed slowed to a crawl with about 15Gig left so i paused and restarted. Stuck ‘initializing’ now. Tried pausing/restarting multiple times, even restarted my computer. Still ‘initializing’. Gonna have to wait it out. Ugh.

Edit: so I checked the destiny 2 boards and this is a ‘thing’ apparently. There were a few odd fixes, but mostly it appears this is a display problem. I just waited it out and after a few minutes the progress bar jumped ahead and it’s showing current download. Whoot!

I’m talking about if you just go through the solo campaign missions, without doing any of the multiplayer stuff (pvp, strikes, etc).

The idea is you’re using the campaign missions to gear up for higher intensity stuff like nightfall strikes and raids. Yes, if you’re just iterating through the campaign you’re going to be a bulldozer.