Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

“that wizard came from the moon”

More Space Wizards, yay.

Warframes reveal kinda took some of the oomph out of D2, but I guess I’ll still play both. No word on the PC version though, so might have to stick to the PS4 to avoid the rootkits.

What was the Warframes reveal? Are they getting a big update or something? I tried Warframe on PS4 in early 2014, I didn’t like the core gameplay of the shooting. Did they make any big changes to that?

It really did. Destiny had several problems with story. The first (and probably the one they’re addressing the most) was it was disjointed and unfocused. Good on them for that.

The second, and to my mind more important problem was repetition. You play through the same missions, with the same triggers (enemies, voiceovers, etc.) over, and over, and over. I can’t tell if they’re fixing that or not, but it was terrible.

Warframe is much more appealing here, too. You run through each quest exactly once. Generally when you do, it unlocks some dramatic new gameplay- Archwings, pets, Operator, etc. Just when you start to get bored, something new opens up to work toward. In between story quests, you run random, diverse, procedurally generated missions with no real story attached. Of course, they’ve had years of hard work and dedication to build up this system.

Ultimately though, the reason why Destiny was so good, was because it’s core gunplay was magnificent. One of the best feeling shooters ever.

Are we going to get story, or are we going to get stuff like “Shax talk with bro”, “Bro talk with Shax” unnecessary scenes. The kind of things that are removed from a movie in the edition phase? because we don’t need busywork and idle mouths running stray.

Stories are about conflict, characters changing, literal or personal travels. I hope they understand that. Stories are not two characters talking if that talking can be removed and nothin matters.

Bear in mind though, a game has a lot more room for that kind of “filler” stuff, merely as a method of controlling pace. It’s not a movie you’re trying to fit into 2 hours. After some crazy gun fight, having something that just slows things down can serve a purpose.

That being said, there’s nothing which prohibits that filler material being well done. It can still be entertaining, even if it doesn’t really push the character development angle much.

Well, I agree. Is just their comment about “making too much story” can end being this. A lot of filler, little of substance.

Oh noes!, I am “that guy”. The doomsayer that is scared because shaw a dark cloud.

Yeah I definitely played Destiny (for several hundred hours apparently) for the shooting primarily, for the loot secondarily, and not really for the story much at all. On the other hand, I really don’t know what the heck was going on in Destiny, there were all these weird aliens and they all hate us cuz they ain’t us, or something, so we had to shoot them all. Good enough for me.

Oh yeah, and all that codex crap? What the hell was all that about, was any of it supposed to actually make sense or were they just random thoughts dropped in because they sounded kind of cool?

The actual “story” for Destiny was a mishmash of garbage… I don’t think anyone played Destiny for the STORY. I mean, it was largely nonsensical. Honestly, I can’t even recall what really happened.

There was some big ball, and three seemingly unrelated “bad guy races” who were trying to destroy it, because of reasons? And then they did, but not really, so now it just floats around over some city which you never really see anyway?

And… hmm… I’m actually trying to think of what happens in the story now. You go to the moon at one point. And then venus. Uh. There are some kind of space elves I think? I recall them being weird, because when you encounter them it’s like, “No one has seen these guys for ages!” except… Uh… they are a playable race, so you see them all the fucking time.

And that’s it. I seriously do not remember what the actual point of the story was. You went places and shot bad guys, and got loot.

Oh and Dinkum was the voice of the little robot thing, and he was clearly mailing it in.

The story is in the grimoire cards. Specially the book of sorrow, and to my easy to please eyes is fantastic. Also all the lore about the vex is just cool. Time traveling robots that turn planets into computronium, hell yea :-)

Just would’ve been like… an idea for them to put the game lore into the actual game and not on a web page :)

Then again, this is the same game that has ‘clans’ without any ability to communicate, or even join them except through a web page.

Thing is, a lot of people don’t like story in their shooters. Especially walls of text and/or cut scene monologs. I like being able to go over the story in the grimoire cards offline, though a good in-game option would be welcome

That’s me. I’m there to play the game, I get really grumpy when a game repeatedly yanks control out of my hands to show me what I do/say/whatever. Especially since the writing in 95% of video games I find to be atrocious.

I tried playing Gears of War 4 coop with a friend earlier this year (it was my first time really playing a Gears of War game). I had to quit after an hour because I felt like I couldn’t take more than 15 steps without getting yanked out of the action to see some pointless in-engine cutscene.

For my personal tastes, it is extremely rare for story to add to the game experience as oppose to detract from it. The Witcher 3 is one such example (the Bloody Baron storyline was terrific). Most of the time, though, I prefer my story to be told through the environment, not cutscenes or exposition. Some of the “story” I like best are games like Dark Souls, where the world itself feels like it tells the story.

There’s a middle ground, I think, between Torment with 900 pages of text and Destiny that literally shunted the story off on to a mobile app and website.

Now you are just making me sad. I MISS that game!

Bungie.net accounts can now be linked to Blizzard.net, presumably for Destiny 2.

I have made a countdown for the beta servers opening.

http://bit.ly/2u5c0qo