Destiny by Bungie

Which is why they are releasing ps3 and 360 versions.

Missed that part.

So, what is the previous record pre-order for a new IP?
And were pre-orders that popular back in the 90s when the last new IP came out? :)

Pre-orders these days is often combined with lots and lots of “BUY IT NOW OR YOU’LL NEVER GET IT” Pre-Order “bonuses”. Often times you feel like you want to pre-order at more than 1 place to get all the different packages even.

Would the record be ‘adjusted’ for inflation*

*) not just in $ but also based on % of total available market.

They spending a lot of money on this, but I guess Blizzard can fund Activisions adventures?

Based on the same Code, or will they have two ‘pipelines’ to ensure the PS4/ONE/PC Versions do not get a ‘upscaled 360’ version?

Who knows? Does anybody know? Is there a benchmark? Does any industry body even track that kind of info (NPD)? Are their competitors eagerly releasing similar info so they can compare?

I suspect it is spin for internal calls/teams. Yep, highest pre-orders for any new IP released by Activision - because that is probably the only real and reliable data they have. Is it normalised/adjusted? Probably not, because that may make it less convenient to say it is the highest.

You’re all kind of agreeing, just talking about this from different perspectives (I think).

Stusser is saying that the numbers Activision is touting are sales for the game, which are retailers’ sales/revenue, and that’s a little misleading because Activision’s sales/revenue (to the retailers/distributors) isn’t the same thing, as many of you are pointing out.

So those of you pointing out that sales equal revenue (basically), you’re right, when you’re talking about the sales and revenue for any single company in this chain. And those of you looking at the whole chain for the product pointing out that total sales of CoD does not equal revenue for Activision are right too, because of those intermediate distributors.

Marty just sued Bungie for unpaid benefits.

Info here: http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/06/former-halo-music-composer-sues-bungie-for-failing-to-pay-for-unpaid-benefits/

O’Donnell was fired on April 11 as audio director at Bellevue, Wash.-based Bungie “without cause,” according to the lawsuit. He was hired in May 2000 and produced the pulse-pounding music that helped make Halo a runaway hit. Over its lifetime of sales, Halo has grossed an estimated $3.4 billion, according to the lawsuit, which was filed in Superior Court in King County in Washington.

O’Donnell said in the filing that Bungie and Ryan gave no explanation for the firing. The suit notes that Bungie has a policy to pay employees accrued but unused vacation, paid time off, sabbatical time, and other benefits. Ryan and Bungie reportedly promised to pay.

Separately, O’Donnell has other grievances against Bungie and Ryan, and those matters are being pursued in arbitration. But that dispute isn’t described in the lawsuit. O’Donnell is asking for double damages in the lawsuit.

So the E3 videos must have really excited people about this, eh! This is about the only big game thread that has not been bumped yet!

So I don’t get this. Is this on purpose in order to a reference to Bungie’s heritage and remind the potential audience of their success with the Halo franchise? Because it just strikes me as extremely lazy design, especially when trying to launch a new IP. “Hey remember how big and cool our other franchise was? Well here is our new game, nothing at all like our other one!”

Anyone want to lay odds on whether Guilty Spark 2.0 ends up betraying Destiny players in an unforeseen twist?

I literally laughed aloud when Guilty Spark showed up in the latest Destiny trailer. How dumb.

Congrats on 20k, btw Telefrog, noticed you creeping up on it last night and figured E3 would get you over the line!

Damn! 20k. WTF? I need to celebrate.

I was extremely underwhelmed by Destiny. It looks like they are just making another Halo. Played enough of that already.

Character creation screens:

Good to see everyone from Mass Effect still has jobs.

Wow, those classes.

Hype averted?

Destiny’s competitive multiplayer plays a lot faster than Halo. Guardians have Master Chief’s floaty jump and shield and stamina health system, but they sprint much faster than Spartans. And then there’s the double-jump, which lets you easily get up onto rooftops, enclosed control points and into great sniping positions. The weighty, satisfying gunplay leans towards ADS (aiming down sights), rather than shooting from the hip. And talking of the gunplay, Destiny’s weapons are lethal. Even primary weapons, such as the auto rifle, take out Guardians in what feels like a blink of an eye, so you need to have your wits about you at all times. If a Guardian catches you napping it’s usually game over. Unlike in Halo, where it’s possible in many situations to absorb some damage and get away, in Destiny there is no escape. Combat resolves itself very quickly. You enter combat, kill or be killed, respawn then go again. It’s fast, frenetic and, dare I say it, a little Call of Duty.

I predict this game shall be super underwhelming! Despite all the marketing shim-sham, it will play and feel very much like Planetside 2.

I predict it’s going to play and feel very much like Halo. Which I also think will be underwhelming critically and commercially, but I’m personally looking forward to it.

Kotaku has some video of time spent playing the actual game. They mention that it sounds like Peter Dinklage sounds like he’s phoning in his lines. I’d say that’s putting it lightly. I’m hoping to get into that magical PS4 alpha this weekend to get a better taste of this, but so far I’m not too impressed with many of these previews.

After reading that article i lost any interest in this game.

I hoped for more borderlands, but it sounds like we’re getting yet another halo/CoD.

You should watch the Giantbomb video on it

Giantbomb QL: http://youtu.be/Sl2ExS3Tgcs

Yeah, Dinklage sounds like he could not have given a shit less.