Destroy All Humans reviews hitting... 7.5 here, 8.5 there

Destroy All Humans reviews on Gamespot and TeamXbox. Looks like it’s relatively lightweight gameplay, but fun. Doesn’t look like I’ll add it to my backlog anytime soon, though

Any first-hand impressions out there?

Cheers!
Rob

I’m digging it. I’ll post longer when I get further into it.

It’s no Mercenaries, but I like it. 8.5 sounds about right, I guess.

Contrary to Gamespot’s review, the random thoughts the people have are generally not funny, and you have to listen to them pretty much constantly for sections of the game. They repeat fairly often too. There are a lot of them, but you have to listen to them so much in order to keep up mental power for your disguise that they end up repeating.

They remind me quite a bit of the lame little jokes you get when you click on walkers in the Impressions city builder games.

They remind me quite a bit of the lame little jokes you get when you click on walkers in the Impressions city builder games.

The vendor is such a Doric!

Nailed it. Non-funny, yet mandatory. That, and I find I have a problem with ripping the brains out of dead people. Don’t know why I draw the line a corpse desecration…

You’ll probably want to be cremated when you die, in that case…

Anyway, you can rip their brains out while they’re still alive, too. Would that be more palatable? ;)

Anyway, you can rip their brains out while they’re still alive, too. Would that be more palatable? ;)[/quote]Right you can rip thier brains out with an anal probe… nevermind thats not much better. Anyway im liking it and i do find lots of those random thoughts to be funny, but hey maby im easily amused. all in all its good for a couple of rentals, but like the guys above me said its a far site from a game the caliber of mercs.

Anyway, you can rip their brains out while they’re still alive, too. Would that be more palatable? ;)[/quote]Right you can rip thier brains out with an anal probe… nevermind thats not much better. Anyway im liking it and i do find lots of those random thoughts to be funny, but hey maby im easily amused. all in all its good for a couple of rentals, but like the guys above me said its a far site from a game the caliber of mercs.[/quote]

Yeah, count me in the I like the game’s sense of humor camp. I picked it up on a lark and will probably trade it back in once I finish it. It definitely isn’t mercs but I am sure it will entertain me enough while I am playing it.

– Xaroc

In the third city, ripping brains out of live people. It’s not a classic by any stretch, and not much of a keeper once it’s done. Like the style, but the pace is slow and the missions are lacking variety.

Does Pox remind anyone else of the Crypt Keeper?

How disappointing… I was hoping this would be a great title, but it sounds like it is just “meh” because of the lack of detail… could have used another couple of months of spit-polish maybe?

This seems like fun :). Any chance or word of a PC port? :)

Much like the movies it’s based on, it’s a “B” title. You’ll never get to greatness by ripping off GTA3 (there are literally rampages with kill targets), but it’s playable. The game thinks it’s funnier than it is, however. Next time, hire somebody who’s professionally funny or lure away some of the Psychonauts writers. I’d love to have seen what they could do with this genre.

I really dig it. I think the current level of detail fits the rampage play style.

GTA3 (there are literally rampages with kill targets)

Oh come on. In a game where all you do is cause destruction they give you missions involving destroying a certain amount of people in a time limit and it’s a rip off of GTA games? Rampages were in the very first GTA.

Finished it yesterday, did not take very long to do so. Fun while it lasted, though. As far as I can tell, there’s no reason to return to any of the cities after the completion of the story, unless you really get a kick out of zapping people and buildings (which is well done, don’t get me wong).

Watching the “making of” documentaries showed how much tweaking this title had in its development process, and I think it showed in the game with features like the anal probe and abducto-ray. They may have had their place in prior versions, but they were useless in the game. Animals other than cows were cut out, along with your ability to disguise yourself as them. Picking up cars & other items with the saucer was also cut. I’d love to see some of this in the sequel.

Great concept, great art style & presentation, needs more “game” to justify $50. A no-brainer (get it?) at the inevitable $20 price point.

You can pick up anything that isn’t nailed down with the abducto ray. You can pick up cars, people, tanks, robots, trucks… so far as I’ve seen, anything that can be moved with TK can be moved with the abducto ray.

Really? Must try it out again, it never seemed to work for me.

Not much point to it, as throwing a tank into the ocean is really exactly the same as just shooting it, but yeah it can be done.

You can swing a tank into a building, to take out a building and a tank.

Also, throwing tanks or trucks into those walking mechs is cool.

I’ve finished the DAH story mode, and have got all the possible upgrades. I really enjoyed the single player, but it was very short, and I have to admit, there really isn’t much replay value. Once you have all the upgrades, more DNA isn’t really good for anything.

DAH is a very well done, fun game, but much much too short.

The lack of bovine camouflage kills it for me :/