Details on the Next Xbox

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/7849191.htm

It’s still not finalized, but most of what I’ve been saying looks like it’s true.

The writer is the same fellow who wrote the book about Xbox’s creation and likely to be a trusted source.

Some details…

No backwards compatibility.
No hard drive unless PS3 has one.
Hard drives cost $50 according to the article.
Launch in 2005.

–Dave

YES!

I will most certainly get one!

Heh…“The keys” was bad wording…typing the post too fast. :)

–Dave

I don’t mind not having backwards compatibility myself, but I’m a little disappointed that there might not be a hard drive. I can understand the lack of backwards compatibility to be a big deal though.

One other thing, I like that they are running prototypes stuff on Apple G5s.

Does that mean that Apple fans are going to resort to bragging about how much easier it’ll be to emulate the X-box on a Mac?

Are you going from that teamxbox article? I think that was bogus - the photos they had of G5s being delivered to Microsoft were from that temp who got fired from MS

i wonder why in the article it always says

“xbox will have this, but can get more if the ps3 has more …”

isn’t that leaving the initiative and Xbox’s bottom line in the hands of another rival corporation??

can’t microsoft just go, these are the specs (what we can affordably put into the box), and we are proud of what we make, damned if those sony folks can think they can do better … and just make a damned good machine?

sounds so wishy washy … the article might be a bit biased …

Are you going from that teamxbox article? I think that was bogus - the photos they had of G5s being delivered to Microsoft were from that temp who got fired from MS[/quote]

It mentioned this in teh Mercury News article.

Does that mean that Apple fans are going to resort to bragging about how much easier it’ll be to emulate the X-box on a Mac?[/quote]

Not really, unless they can get DirectX running on it.

I’m sure it cost that when the Xbox launched. I doubt that MS is paying that much for the drives now. If they are… heck, I’ll volunteer to be their new supplier.

I agree. I don’t care about backwards compatibility at all, but lack of a HD would suck. I really love not dicking around with fucking memory cards. Damn!, if true.

[quote=“Ben_Sones”]

I’m sure it cost that when the Xbox launched. I doubt that MS is paying that much for the drives now. If they are… heck, I’ll volunteer to be their new supplier.[/quote]

People think hard drive costs scale and they don’t. At least not well. The mechanical parts and interface remain fairly stable, so the extra cost is in the platters and heads. So, a 10GB is not going to be 1/10 the cost of a 100GB drive.

The machine also will have about 256 megabytes of dynamic random access memory. But Microsoft will upgrade that to 512 gigabytes if Sony puts in more.

:shock:

Really, though, 256MB of RAM doesn’t seem like a heck of a lot for the next generation of consoles. That’s only 4 times more than the Xbox has right now (albeit shared).

Considering that Joe Everybody can buy a stick of generic 512MB DDR RAM for a little over $100Cdn, I’d think that Sony/MS/Nintendo could get some pretty good volume discounts.

Are you going from that teamxbox article? I think that was bogus - the photos they had of G5s being delivered to Microsoft were from that temp who got fired from MS[/quote]

It mentioned this in teh Mercury News article.[/quote]
Ah, I see it now… I wonder if the writer used the teamxbox post as a source - it just seems very strange to me that they’d be using G5s to do development since there are (from the mercury news article) 3 of the G5 chips in the prototypes (?!)

Yeah, I get that. But even decent 20 GB drives are retailing at $20 less than that right now. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft, buying in bulk at at wholesale, is paying nearly twice as much for a 10 GB drive as I would pay for a 20 GB drive at CompUSA.

Those remaining 20GB drives are being closed out. Microsoft is asking for 8GB drives to be manufactured for their system. It’s a big difference.

–Dave

It’s not surprising. Sega Genesis development was done on Amigas because they had the same chip that was in the Genesis. That’s typical as far as I’m aware. You’d know better than us though how you develop for a console that doesn’t yet exist since you’re potentially developing for one right now. ;)

–Dave

Perhaps in Europe, I was most familar with the Cross Products PC hosted targets back in the day. My first experience with source level debugging, oh the luxury! The Amiga was used in (oh the irony) Atari Lynx development since it was developed at Epyx by some of the Amiga alumni.

Using a dual-processor G5 with a custom graphics board is as close as you could get until at least late this year. If they’re smart, they’ll get the IBM xlc compiler and use that to cross-compile out of VS.NET. That would rock.

I find it hard to believe that MS would put three G5 chips in one box. Seems ridiculous.