Detective games

I finally played the full game of The Case of the Golden Idol as well as the Spider of Lanka DLC. Mostly I still feel my pre-release feedback based on three of the early cases is valid, but there is something in the full game that makes it more than the sum of its parts.

The investigation part is not any more interesting in the full game. It is still a totally mechanical and unengaging process that you have to go through to get all the words and panels. It’s also still very rare for any of those clues to be intrinsically rewarding, since the writing is nothing special. I especially don’t like using this system for finding verbs from random places, nor the repeated gimmick the game has for getting words from one context and meaning from the clues but then applying them totally differently in the solution. It feels very gamey.

The “fill in the blanks” deduction part is kind of odd. The mechanism of letting the player know when they have 1-2 wrong answers makes brute-forcing way too easy. When you have most of one of the panels correct (and there’s usually so many gimmes that you basically always get tot the 1-2 mistakes range on a first guess), it makes it too easy to triangulate the remaining answers. The obvious solution to the problem is to “just not do that, then”, but it’s very easy to extract information out of the game just by accident, not by intentional brute-forcing. I think I might want a separate “check solution” button that needs to be clicked every time you want to give a verdict, so that I can fill in my best guess at the solution, mull it over and possibly change it before asking for a verdict. (And that in turn would make it possible to e.g. track whether you solved the game perfectly or resorted to guessing, which would make the deduction part more tense.)

Likewise the solution templates are constantly leaking parts of the solution where I don’t think it was intended. For example, on the last case of the Spider of Lanka the identity of the Spider should obviously have been deduced by mapping the text descriptions to the environmental storytelling, like a one guy being too heavy to take the rope lift. But none of that was necessary, because the template text made it clear that it was the Spider who invited the son into the gambling game and we already knew that was Oberon.

But in the end these games succeed or fail by the writing and the cases, not by the systems.

There’s not a ton of writing in the game, and it’s pretty plain. But it is better than the writing tends to be in the most obvious comparison, the cardgame format detective boardgames which have similar amounts of text and often a similar dependence on e.g. images as Golden Idol has.

In terms of plot, the early cases in Golden Idol are pretty one dimensional. They’ll hinge on something like “I just need to establish which of these two characters is the doctor; one of them has a scalpel in their inventory”. The later ones can have more reliance on implicit clues, like the relative positions of objects in the scene. That’s where the game tends to be at its most satisfying, though it’s not going to be that many of those.

For me the star of the show is the way the cases are linked together into a larger story. The way you learn more about the world (e.g. the idol, the brotherhood) across the cases and in fact need to learn about them and carry that information across the cases is great. Combined with a lot of the cases being very satisfyingly outlandish, it makes for kind of compelling storytelling despite the actual writing being so barebones.

I don’t know… I had a good time with the game, and definitely learned something new about what can make these games tick. But I’m quite puzzled at how universally loved it seems to be and how much press it got.

I’m surprised to hear this after your post highlighted some of the reasons!

I love that understanding the story is the solution and the only way to progress. I also loved the overwhelming bafflement with each new chapter and scene and the slow, careful understanding of it all. Sometimes, however, I thought I understood whodunwot and then the game would tell me that my solution wasn’t correct so I’d have to rethink things and, eventually… oh my god, that’s whodunnit?! The 1-2 wrong answer system does leave it open to brute-forcing but, as above, it created situations for me where I had these magic moments of realisation, like the developers were delivering a twist or surprise (in my case, among others, it was Peter Battley cannon balling Lazarus, and with that being one of the last things to solve it was a fine way to end the game).

I also think that telling a story with all these layers and this degree of complexity with such little dialogue is pretty incredible. I found it so much more absorbing than games that are a lot more generous! Add to that the visuals and the music—which I loved—that created such an intriguing and unique atmosphere. For me it was just a solid gold experience worthy of the praise.

One of the Golden Idol developers was on Zach Gage’s (and others, but he is the only designer I knew) game design podcast recently and I was amazed to learn that they were not native English speakers and had assistance localizing the game’s text. Much of my enjoyment solving the puzzles depended on learning the nuanced vocabulary of the game’s world, so I’m impressed that it came from such a collaboration.

Basically I feel that everything else in the game is either executed or designed kind of poorly, and the surprising part is that the campaign of interlinked scenarios had a strong and wide appeal for that to not matter and to make this a bona fide indie hit.

It isn’t the first detective game I’ve played with a campaign structure (e.g. Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures and Detective: A Modern Crime Boardgame). In those other games just having a campaign and needing to carry information over hasn’t been enough to carry the game when the other parts aren’t really working.

Part of it workign here might be the much more limited scope of each scenario in Golden Idol (the entire game took me less time than a single scenario of Detective did for our group), which means avoids the players to try to do more than the minimum being asked by the scenario, hitting a brick wall, and then getting frustrated.

E.g. I don’t remember whether the game actually spells out things like Lazarus being a deaged version of Edmund until the epilogue, but I think it’s totally plausible for players to figure it out at different points in the campaign. In a more free-form game, the moment you get that insight you’d hare off to investigate and confirm that. Here, that’s obviously not an option. It’s still frustrating that you can’t prove to the game that you’ve figured out something, but even that is better than the scenario being derailed because you’re trying to investigate something the game is not yet prepared to let you investigate.

Jon Ingold of Inkle wrote an exploration of some of the inherent difficulties of doing deduction well.

It’s a hard problem, and I think Golden Idol chooses a similar solution to Obra Dinn, which has the downside of being contrived, and also of sometimes not aligning itself with the state of the case in the player’s mind.

In fact, that might be a way of summarizing the problem Ingold identifies: The ideal deduction game has mechanics that are supple enough to model all the possible avenues the player might be taking in solving the case. AND to help any player along who isn’t making the most basic connections.

Unfortunately, I think that’s a bit like asking an RPG to have the depth of responsiveness that a GMed tabletop game has. The Consulting Detective games are arguably more like a TTRPG (crossed with a choose-your-own-adventure book) than a video or board game. Once you start mechanizing the deduction mechanics, I think you have to pare down the experience to fit into something more rigid (like Ingold points out with Obra Dinn: It doesn’t care at all about how you get to your conclusions).

I have too little experience in this genre to judge his assertions, but Game Makers Tool Kit just put out a new video on detective game design:

Recently I had a chance to play Suspects. It’s an enjoyable cooperative detective game that has at least some DNA from Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective or the 221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game.

We (two couples) played the second case. The other couple had previously played the first case. Scoring is based on answering a set of questions. By the end we had most of them but we really didn’t feel like we had everything airtight. Afterwords we figured out some clues that we were supposed to connect but it a couple of them felt like big leaps in logic. Enjoyable evening and I’ll be happy to play the 1st case file with our daughter at some point.

Case of the Golden Idol getting a second expansion, which is already released!

Well that just made my day!

Same!

This one keeps getting lost in the shuffle of all these games!!! coming out lately. I really do want to check out The Case of the Golden Idol, it looks really fun. No idea when, though.

Just saw this too - will play through it this weekend!

Finished the second DLC – it’s much better than the first one, and better than many of the mysteries from the original game.

They’re getting good at writing these. There’s really only one murder to solve, but you figure it out by considering the characters’ capabilities and motives, rather than the process-of-elimination logic puzzles that the game frequently uses.

The developers say this is the final expansion. Looking forward to what they make next.

Was a fun DLC for sure! I liked how they tied it all together pretty well. The introduction of different times for the same areas was pretty neat, though don’t remember if that came in this one or the other DLC. Also looking forward to whatever’s next!

Between Horizons is a detective adventure on a spaceship. It touts non-linear cases and a “semi-open world.” There’s a demo for Next Fest. Looks pretty awesome, actually.

Played a little bit of Scene Investigators for the IGF award judging.

It’s first-person investigation of an environment to get clues and eventually piece together the answers to some specific questions about the case (“Where was so-and-so at date/time?”).

What’s done quite well is the believability of the clues–they all look like convincing documents with the right mixture of relevant and irrelevant details. The game gives you a lot of room to connect the dots and form a picture of what happened in a situation. There are also voice messages that have pretty good voice acting. So far the stories seem interesting and also realistic. I get the impression there are larger meta-mysteries that are constructed from multiple scene investigations.

Less good is the slightly clunky but serviceable UI, and the fact that they intentionally don’t give you information you would really expect to have. An example is that you know a suspect was picked up by the cops, you have the possessions taken off his person, but to keep the mystery more interesting they won’t tell you which of the several involved men was the one they picked up. You get other arrest reports, but not that one. To give it some credit, the game tells you it will be doing this in the tutorial. And it seems accurate that it makes the game’s deductions more interesting. But it kind of destroys the feeling of realism. Which is maybe why the frame for the whole game is that everything in the game is an exam, not a real world situation.

Anyway, seems decent but not outstanding.

Happy Broccoli Games has stated that Duck Detective: The Secret Salami is a 90-minute detective game, and that sounds perfect. It’s inspired by Return to the Obra Dinn and The Case of the Golden Idol , and has you, the eponymous duck, gathering clues, interviewing suspects, and putting the pieces together to find out who did the crime. What crime? Something to do with sausages.

Oh!

Yeah!

I would add Aviary Attorney to that. I don’t know about streaming (or decking) but if you can stomach the monochrome artstyle, then it’s got some really good writing. The logic let me (and especially my client) down once or twice, but I still had a good time with it.