Detective Pikachu - Deadpool says pika!

This is way too Deadpool.

Edward James Olmos for the win!

Okay but seriously this movie is real?

Like. . . is this a grimdark spoof on the franchise for adults? Am I just missing some sort of obvious sign that it’s a gag or whatever?

Cuz I feel like a wisecracking Deadpoolchu leading some kid through a grimdark detective mystery set in a run-down, scary cyberpunk town is decidedly NOT the Pokemon aesthetic that Nintendo et. all are generally going for?

April is a long ways away

Remember when Mario went to Dinohattan, a grimdark dytopia in which dinosaur-men ate people? It’s like that.

Only with memes.

Are you referring the to the absolute fucking goddamned pinnacle of human artistic achievement, Rocky Morten and Annabel Jankel’s 1993 landmark classic, Super Mario Bros., starring–nay, being elevated to divine grace by–John Leguizamo and Bob Hoskins?

Well fuck, in that case, I’m onboard with this Detective Pikachu shit.

This is gritty, not grimdark. Significant difference.

You’re dashing my dreams of Pokemon 40K, CLWJ

Kickstart that sourcebook. I’d buy it.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only “Pika!”

Gotta chainsword 'em all.

Of course, the internet already has everything:

I can’t stand anything Pokemon. But Ryan Reynolds gets me to watch this. Eventually.

Pika for the Pika God!

Bleh. It sounds like it’s going to be a vehicle for a bunch of Ryan Reynolds jokes. I can only take so many. Also, the guy they have directing can’t make an interesting movie to save his life. Check out these credits:

Shark Tale
Monsters vs Aliens
Gulliver’s Travels
Goosebumps

I defy you to remember a single thing about any of those movies.

-Tom

Jack Black.

That’s all I got.

Will Smith is a fish.

This is weird enough that I want to see this. But only as a rental.

Also House plays a cockroach

When the original Pokemon movie came out, I had an age appropriate birthday party to go see it. It was terribly exciting, and I even got the fabled Charizard card out of the whole ordeal.

I’m already more excited for this movie, and I didn’t even know it was coming! Ryan Reynold’s took all of 5 seconds to go from “Who the fuck would cast Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu?” to “OMG Ryan Reynolds is so adorable as Pikachu! #kawaii

Opening day.

This is the most bizarre movie idea in a long time.

A live action with CGI pokemon I can get, but on top of that you make Pikachu a wise-ass detective replete with a holmes hat…

On a scale from Howard the Duck to Who Framed Roger Rabbit…