Deterring cats & kittens

24 hours to go! Benji and Koshka will be arriving tomorrow and my place is…not kittenproofed yet. Today I’ll be scrambling to take down shelves, put plants outside, and hide fragile objects.

Couple more shots.

Benji:

Koshka:

Those are two beasts who need petting. Maybe even tummy rubs. Also, I’m pretty sure Koshka is at the very least a demigod.

I’m very jealous, @barstein. Those are some dazzling houseguests!

Oh my goodness, those are some cuties. If you’ve gotten the bulk of your kitty-proofing done I would hold and observe them when they visit. You can certainly go overboard on things and cats are just going to be cats, completely ignoring what you think they might touch and instead going to where you had no clue they would go.

They’re gorgeous!

Koshka looks like an absolute handful. Those eyes are scheming.

I don’t know how hyper she gets, but Koshka is supposedly extremely shy. She hasn’t come out during my visits and I’ve been warned that she’ll probably remain under my couch or bed for the whole visit.

I was also warned about the hundreds of dollars of damage these two are responsible for. Broken lamps, pots, and other things. “It’s not their fault,” my daughter tried to assure me, to which I replied, “it’s okay, you can say a cat is an asshole if they actually are one.”

I would argue most cats are. Incredibly sweet, loving assholes, but assholes nonetheless.

Pretty sure most cats are Chaotic Good, but I’m sure there are some Chaotic Evil ones out there. Regardless, they’re all Chaotic and I love them all.

I’ve got a spectrum in my household: Alistair is very much Lawful Good, Tater is Neutral Good, and Calhoun is pretty much the definition of Chaotic Good.

We got 2 seven week old kittens last week. They are already potty trained. If I knew how to add a picture you would get one.

Inform Benji that cats with white paws are the best.

You can copy/paste directly into the reply field here. Image will get uploaded automatically.

Not my cat, but for the cat fans out there:

We didn’t kitty-proof the chair…

None of our cats take our rebukes of their poor behaviour seriously. Just like my kids.

Note the shitty couch cover! lol

Same here, my two sibling cats were very different. Grey was all chaos, but would come when you called him and had some very doglike friendliness. Boo, his sister, seemingly has no idea how to chaos and hates getting in trouble. She’s also quite shy. The only exception to her lawfulness is that sometimes it can take her a very long time to decide to take an action and when she finally does decide to then she’s extremely stubborn about following through with that action.

These guys move around so much.

Both are doing great. Benji seems pretty relaxed at this point (for a kitten), and Koshka is still settling in, 8 hours later. She woke me up at 4 with meowing, and kept it up for an hour. I’m surprised to see her not hiding as I was expecting. Both grandkitties are very receptive to pets and belly rubs.

Objects knocked off surfaces: 12
Cacti askew: 1
Things destroyed: 0

I know they are still kittens so they’ll have plenty of energy, but they should settle down a little bit at least as they get more comfortable with their new environment.

Welcome to hell. Don’t ignore the meowing, that leads to more noises out of cat spite.

That’s Beni in the pic, right? Look at the size of that boys paws!!

Yeah, Benji is half the size he will be eventually – his dad is 20 lbs. (Siberian)

That was easy. Did this change at some point in the past few years?

So these are our new kittens. Callie and Oliver. About 8 weeks old, we have had them for almost 2.