Deus Ex 2: who's excited?

Ah, pshaw! The way they did the endings was perfect.

I wouldn’t want to have to play through the whole damn game again – twice – to see the alternate endings. I liked Deus Ex, but by the time I’ve played that much of any game (and by the time I was near the end, I’d played a lot – I’m one for exploring everywhere and trying multiple approaches), I’m ready to just finish.

The “decision near the end” branch was just fine for me. Had it been earlier, I’d never have seen more than one ending.

The multiple endings is a neat idea if you implament it so that there’s a diffrence in the game some way for each one. The problem with Deus Ex is the endings didn’t matter. They were just a few choices made at the very end of the game. When you hear about it in a preview its like thats a coold idea. When you saw it in the game its like…umm yea.

“This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but with your choice of a quote from Milton, Voltaire, or Kahlil Gibran.”

I heard that Deus Ex 2 will end with your choice of a quote from Monty Python, Yogi Berra, or William Bennet.

I’m very much looking forward to Deus Ex 2. I liked what Ion Storm was trying to do in the first game. It seems to me they have a clear sense of how to avoid some of the major pitfalls this time around.

-Tom

I was looking for it, but I am less and less. The videos that were released were awful (what kind of crappy interface is that) and the fact that the game is “simplified” for the console audience repells me.

On the other hand, I’m really looking forward to playing Thief III, assuming they won’t screw up that one.

Console influences aren’t always bad. Morrowind for example actually benefited from the Xbox version, in terms of PC play. They had to really tone down the Byzantine excesses to which they were prone to get it to work on the console as well as the PC, and I think that was a good idea. I know that when I visited Bethesda during Morrowind’s development and saw both versions in progress that they were really working in parallel very nicely. So I don’t think the fact that Invisible Wars is slated for dual release is necessarily a bad thing.

That interface, OTOH, is I agree rather frightening. It looks like one of those things that will either be surprisingly ok, or God-awful.

The atrocious message system which blocks everything in your view even when you’re fired at does look surprising :?

I’d take heart. I think the whole idea of the game is similar to Blade Runner - the choices you take will affect how the game plays from level to level, so that the final parts of the game could potentially play out very differently depending upon the series of events you set in motion. Maybe I’m dreaming that up because that’s how I want DX2 to play, but the idea that JC Denton will prove to either be a close ally or your ultimate enemy suggests that this is the case.

Combine that with the idea that DX2 will be shorter (isn’t it only like twelve levels or something?), but with an emphasis on providing many more possible solutions to each obstacle than DX1 did, and this game could prove to have an enormous amount of replayability. I agree with DennyA that having to go through a game as HUGE as DX1 multiple times was not really worth it just to get different little cutscenes at the end. I just used the cheatcodes after getting the Helios and Illuminati endings and realizing that I didn’t want to go through all that AGAIN. But if DX2 is shorter yet more “diverse” throughout the actual game and not just at the very end… well, that sounds perfect.

The interface really turned me off at E3. It just consumes FAR too much screen real estate, right in the center of your field of view. Very distracting. It was like Halo’s health/shield display, only on steroids, with warts, with pimples on those warts. Very unpleasant.

The interface really turned me off at E3. It just consumes FAR too much screen real estate, right in the center of your field of view. Very distracting. It was like Halo’s health/shield display, only on steroids, with warts, with pimples on those warts. Very unpleasant.[/quote]
Whew. I thought it was just me. I’m glad some other people found it painfully distracting as well.

I understood the whole retinal-implant concept going on, but had a hard time seeing through it.

It gave me tunnel vision. It’s difficult to focus through that crap in the center of your field of vision, so you just focus on what’s inside it, cutting you off from a bunch of information. And as it changes whenever you’re in combat in a very noisy manner, it’s REALLY distracting. Like trying to have a gun battle while somebody is strobing disco lights at you.

Morrowind benefitted from parallel X-box development primarily because it forced the programmers to tighten their code. They still managed to break all Z occlusion/culling support in modern 3D hardware by having the wrong rendering order.

Personally, I think the console influence shows and shows badly for both DX2 and Thief 3 because it’s apparently affecting both the interface and gameplay mechanics (DX2 being dumbed down, for one), but time will tell.

Oh give me a fucking break. The level of the complexity of the interface has nothing to do with whether or not the game is fun. Or do you derive some sick pleasure about having to juggle your inventory non-stop?

Also: This just in: Things need to be bigger on a TV so you can see the required detail. Text especially.

I coulda sworn at e3 the interfaces for console and Pc versions of dx2 were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Morrowind benefitted from parallel X-box development primarily because it forced the programmers to tighten their code. They still managed to break all Z occlusion/culling support in modern 3D hardware by having the wrong rendering order.[/quote]

Apparently it didn’t benefit enough, because it still crashes on me at least once a night.

I am really excited, is one of my most desired games and think it looks very nice (not as much as Half Life 2, sure, but its gameplay will be deeper so it´s perfect for me).

Whoa, I sure sense some bad angst here :? Whether the programmers at Bethesda screwed the pooch on their 3D routines (I don’t know enough about it to say, though I agree the game is a P-I-G when it comes to 3D performance, on any platform) or not, that doesn’t have much to do with the parallel Xbox development, which as has been said certainly did make them tighten their code. It also IMO tightened up the interface.

As for Invisible Wars, I don’t really care if the interface is PC derived or console derived as long as it works. That big radial thing looks imposing but hey it might work well. I didn’t make E3 this year, so I don’t have any info on whether that’s PC, console, or both.

I also have few fears about “dumbing down.” KOTOR demonstrates that you can have a great RPG on a console with no “dumbing down” that I can see. The PS2 version of Deus Ex may have had smaller levels, but gameplay was pretty much the same as in the PC version. I’m all in favor of simplifying inventory management and reducing the number of buttons you have to push to do something. If that means an interface equally suited to a 'box and a PC, so be it.

I’m curious though as to which features are supposed to be dumbed down. I’m not trolling for flaming, just honestly curious. I was a big Deus Ex fan (despite its notable flaws) and am looking forward to the sequel.

I was excited but now I am not so sure. I enjoyed the first one up until close to the end, I think. The Hong Kong levels were tedious and conspiracy theory stuff gets old after a while.

Anyway, I keep reading stuff about the game that makes me hesitate. The latest was in one of the computer mags this month, about how they are going to make it less like a traditional RPG, less stats or some shit like that. I dont remember it verbatim, but it was an interview with WS I think.

Anyway, thats not what I want, less RPG-like that is.

olaf

RPG != stats

Game > Sum(parts)

Your Power Pill

From what I gathered from that interview with WS, it’s not that there are necessarily “less” of things but that the things that are there will be less cluttered, less redundant, and more relevant. Many skills/stats in Deus Ex were useless or nearly so. Why have useless stuff; if you really can’t build a viable character to use the stat, get rid of it I say.

This process of winnowing will undoubtedly result in fewer “things” but that bothers me not a whit.