Deus Ex 3

Besides, DX has always had a bit of a spy vibe, and seductive traitorous women are a key part of that genre.

Butch feminist lesbian androids vs stepford houswife androids. Film at 11.

Why do lesbians have to go and be butch? That’s no fun.

Yes, please don’t suck. I hope they get what made Deus Ex such a good game. I love Deux Ex.

I did. I just thought the phrasing was funny.

It seems like DX3 has all the story elements that made DX1 so interesting. The question hanging out there is whether the gameplay will be more like the original or the watered-down sequel with closet-sized maps. The squad-based AI gives me some hope that there will be roomy maps, and alternative ways of dealing with them (take out the leader, or pick them off one by one, or something). But then we hear that there’s lockpicking augs and it sounds like customization will be suspect.

So who knows. I’ll wait for the gameplay demo.

Ok, apologies for the kneejerk reaction then. I’m just having flashbacks from the Shoot 'em Up thread.

Thief 3 was pretty good, anything is possible.

Deadly Shadows was tolerable, in its dumbed-down, loot-beacony, tiny-mapped way.

It’s been stated multiple times in interviews that DX3 will have a more combat-heavy focus than DX1, that it will have auto-heal (a la COD4), and that skill upgrades will not affect weapons performance.

These revelations have been met with pretty much universal negativity on the DX3 forums, yet the developers continue to defend these decisions.

Sigh.

Though, if that’s actually ends up a bullet point on the box…

woot, cyberpunk Montreal! I hope for a level with an Olympic Stadium in ruins as a backdrop.

Wasn’t this one of the major complaints people had about DX though? It certainly seems like an improvement to me.

Umm… no. That’s a perfectly common RPG convention.

You may be thinking about the complaint that JC starts out as such a bad shot.

Well yes, but wasn’t that what the gun skills improved? It’s been years since I played it, so I can’t really remember if they did anything else.

Weapon skills influenced accuracy quite a bit (alongside reload time and damage dealt).

Yes. The higher the skill the less the weapon moved as you aimed. I think a better system would be Fallout3’s, which makes the damage greater as the skill is raised. If you can still shoot at someone in FPS mode, then a hit should be a hit. The skill should simply change damage or penetration ability or maybe maximize location. Something like that.

I know it’s a fantasy game, but why would you make increasingly higher levels of damage as you become a more experienced shooter? You simply have the ability to hit more frequently, and to hit more vital organs, isn’t that the case?

It’s a holdover from straight RPGs, where damage dealt goes up with skill to simulate the avatar learning how to aim for best damage. It still slightly makes sense in action-RPGs, as a way to paper over the fact that even though the player is the one doing the aiming, the player isn’t the one who’s leveling up.

A large chunk of players HATE HATE HATE missing when they clearly had the player skill to hit. It definitely was a common criticism of Deus Ex from friends of mine. In general, the industry is trending away from this a bit, just because it kind of takes away agency from players, in an area that they seem to particularly care about.

“glancing” hits and decreased damage are a solution to the problem that work out very similarly mechanically put are potentially less irritating to players.

These people shouldn’t be playing RPGs.

That being said, I’m not aware that DX is overly guilty of this. Increasing firearm skill simply boosts damage, makes the aiming reticle contract faster, and decreases wobble when zoomed. The factors which lead to missed shots are presented overtly, and can actually be mitigated with sufficient player skill.