Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

Fail. I wanted the desert aug city they foreshadowed, as a gameplay hub.

Huh. So Jensen really did get his augmented vision from a slam doc for a package of menthol Kools.

Total fail here for me. I don’t really care about short, stand alone missions. If the DLC were part of the game, I’d love them and buy them in a heartbeat as I loves my DE. But stand alone missions have no attraction for me at all.

Yeah, I wonder at people who make story-driven RPGs and then think it’s a good idea to sell side quests that are disconnected from the main story.

It would be a hard sell for me in any event, but the kind of expansion that adds seamless “future” material after the original ending and maybe mixes in a bit of other stuff along the way to encourage replay has some appeal.

Going to the main menu and clicking on some option and finding a clone of the character (or worse, a different build entirely) warped to some dungeon area is much less attractive. I might not play that even if it was a free download.

This, x1000. Fallout 4 DLC, for example, adds stuff that extends the original game, for a new play through or an existing one. This type of DLC (DownLoadable Crap?) is worse than useless, because not only does it not integrate well it breaks the whole structure of the game, making it less of a world experience and more of a theme park/scenario. Ugh.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Is there any chance of these side missions eventually making their way into the main game, like The Link did in DXHR?

The first two definitely could be as they take place at defined points in the main plot. This new one takes place prior to the plot, so I don’t see how it could be integrated.

Mankind Divided performed so poorly that Eidos Montreal’s sequel has been canned by Square-Enix in favor of Shadows of the Tomb Raider, The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy games.

Square Enix’s shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year’s Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus, Eurogamer understands.

This, despite Mankind Divided leaving the series with a number of hanging story threads. These plot points were intended to be resolved in a third game, which would also complete the trilogy of Deus Ex titles begun by predecessor Human Revolution.

Much of this remaining story was once intended for Mankind Divided, Eurogamer has heard, until the game grew too large in scope and had to be curtailed. (Even with this, Mankind Divided’s development took five years). It’s unclear if this untold story will now be left unresolved - or tied up in another medium, such as a graphic novel.

Mankind Divided’s DLC, meanwhile, focuses on standalone stories. One final pack from the game’s season pass - A Criminal Past - is set for launch on 23rd February and acts as a prequel to the main game.

Well, fuck.

Fuck. Sake. Squeenix.

This is all their fault for carving up Deus Ex into multiple media products. Human Revolution is a single, complete game from start to finish, but Mankind Divided was too full of references to events which happened in the books and comic series. It detracted from the game greatly. The single hub was too far removed from the globetrotting nature of the series, and then there was Breach, which absolutely nobody asked for (pun intended).

I wish they’d sell the IP to someone who could reboot the idea and bring it back to its roots. Hell, I’d love a full-on redo of the original.

Man, this bums me out. I bought a copy but haven’t played it yet - guess I’ll have to set aside some time to really savor it, not just rush through the whole thing.

I just started playing Mankind Divided this weekend. Looks gorgeous, but not grabbing me the same way DX:HR did.

So far Steam shows 36 hours and I am in night Prague after coming back from Golem City, doing stuff for Otar Botkoveli now. God damn this game is fantastic so far, I really hate that it didn’t sell and franchise seems shelved now. But Square Enix do have themselves to blame for all the nonsense marketing, stupid breach mode, microtransactions bullshit…
Such a god damn shame.

These Eidos devs seem to have the bizarre idea that people will make multiyear hobbies out of playing their individual games. Once in a while a niche group of people will indeed become obsessed with Skyrim or whatever, but when the designers plan for it and try to provide a sort of framework for it, it seems to fall very flat. And when Eidos and Square Enix do it, it’s even worse than the usual case.

Sources say Eidos Montreal has cancelled a planned sequel to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which came out last year.

God dammit I am pissed off. Dumb ass squeenix.

That’s a real bummer. I really enjoyed Mankind Divided and was looking forward to a sequel that would properly wrap things up.

It shouldn’t be surprising. Sales for this game AFAIK weren’t great. It didn’t outright bomb, but it was reportedly much less than the 3 million units at full retail that SE wanted for the year. I think it did eventually reach the target, but only after a price drop during the holidays.

Squeenix should be ashamed at how they’ve treated two of their treasured series recently. First they botched Thief and then carved up DX4. All after already having won over a highly critical audience when Human Revolution was such an initial success (and then again with the director’s cut).

Gamers aren’t stupid and recognise when massive parts of the game have been cut out, and at best, served up as disjointed DLC, or now apparently on the cutting room floor indefinitely. It hurts the long tail of the sales that Mankind Divided might otherwise have enjoyed.

It’s a shame because what’s there is still Deus Ex, and still a brilliant, beautiful cyberpunk epic.

They should sell Thief to Bethesda, so Arkane can make a proper Thief game.