Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

Look out everybody, grandpa’s off his meds again!

AMEN. Could sign every word of this. Beautiful game. The sidequests and atmosphere, especially in nightly Prague…mesmerizing.

And damn. 100% correct again. I am playing Andromeda right now (30 hours in) and it is fun and good game. Not as good as original trilogy, it could use better writing and less filler busywork fetchquests, but it is still solid fun game.

Oh, not insulted at all, just trying to offer a reason why some might have felt the tone of your post was somewhat harsh. I think you raise some valid issues.

I agree with you that the criticisms you pointed out aren’t ones that I had myself. It’s been a little while since I played it, but if I remember correctly I thought the voice acting was generally poor - especially Adam Jensen. This is definitely a personal preference.I also thought the game play felt clunkier than in Human Revolution. I could be misremembering HR because I wouldn’t be surprised if they were very similar.

I also agree that the visuals look quite nice, but in a story-heavy action game the game has to deliver on multiple fronts. Not liking the main character and much of the voice acting is a fairly big hit. I think I preferred the story in HR too.

I definitely didn’t feel it was a bad game, but it wasn’t one that grabbed me and kept me interested for the ride. The Metro series also falls into this category for me.

I’ve got the unskippable credits rolling now. Great setting, couldn’t get into the gameplay though.

I might have detracted from my enjoyment by putting it down for a while. When I picked it up I could barely remember how to play. In particular, all the sections where you’re sent off to some hostile area lacked the enjoyment of Prague for me.

Credits still(!) rolling.

MD is a little weird. It’s a competently put together game and the gameplay is executed well but other parts of the game are really jarring. My number one complaint is pacing, the main missions are great, they flow well, the pace is for the most part really good - exactly what the original and DXHR already delivered in their main missions. However, unlike in the two games I mentioned the game’s main hub here (Prague) really drags the game down. It’s too big for its own good, so if you’re a completionist player you will bounce between these high octane missions that last an hour or so and the hub where each part can take you 5-6 hours of combing through the city so you don’t miss any of the side stuff. The bank was great though, but I honestly don’t know why the player is given access to it a good 20-30 hours before the relevant mission even comes up.

My second complaint is the story - the whole ‘racial’ theme was a complete miss imo, I think the game should’ve focused on exploits of big evil corps/organizations a little more. And the dialogue, dear god. It felt like it was written by someone who’s never held a conversation in real life before. It was completely over the top, even by video game writing standards.

Bottom line, I replay DX and DXHR from time to time but after one playthough of DXMD I think I’m done with it. It’s a solid game but at times it felt like a real chore to play and I really have no desire to experience that again.

Pretty much this. I’ve replayed the original many times, and HR several. Got through about half of a second play through of MD and just went, mehhhhh.

For me, a huge part of it was the story simply not living up to the appeal of the others. This is a personal thing, of course, but I agree the attempt at a racial/apartheid angle fell flat.

Pretty much. I enjoyed playing it once well enough but by the end I was well and truly done with it. I even have the DLC and just…no real interest in playing any of it.

So right. I only just started the game, but the conversation in the opening sequence on the plane between Jensen and Tough Guy #1 is so utterly sophomoric that it could have been written by a caffeinated fourteen-year-old boy whose only conversational exposure came from cheesy action movies.

It would have been nice to see one of the other tough guys on the plane chuckle and say, “Get over yourself, Jensen.” But that’s only because I said it to the screen.

Finally getting around to playing this. Holy shit does this game crash a lot. It’s rare that I get a full hour of playtime. And this isn’t just the bug with the shooting range, though I’ve hit that; this is just random walking-around crashes, occasionally complaining about my display driver crashing, though I’m running on medium with an 8GB RX 580 and there’s no excuse for that, and something just crashing without the display thing.

I assume you tried the usual, updating drivers, perhaps downclocking GPU a bit etc?

I have some 70 hours played on this and not one crash, although it was with nvidia card.

I’ve played for over 50 hours with no crashes too. Perhaps it’s a problem specific to your environment?

Started playing this as well and had one hard crash where I had to force a reboot. Started saving a lot more but hopefully it doesn’t continue.

When the game first came out there was a known bug that would crash the game in the early part, usually right at the end of an interminable unskipable cut scene/intro, and another where an inventory glitch fried things when you went into the shooting range tutorial. Both were, I think, fixed in a patch, but it would not surprise me that the game still has some oddities.

I didn’t crash a ton but Golem City had a terrible ongoing graphics bug for me that was never resolved by any patch. I just inched through as deep as I could tolerate in each session and finally got through it and the glitch was largely gone in subsequent areas. Below is what it looked like to me for about 120 degrees of viewing angle through the whole place.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/250339198118327456/32F02E8D58D05EB3C5D302CEDD0868D0EEAC9A34/

Wow, that is something. AMD? Haven’t seen this on gtx1070.

GTX 970. I couldn’t find any evidence anyone else had ever encountered that issue, much less a solution.

It looks like you had some special edition of the game that teleported you into the breach mode while in Golem or something :)

If it weren’t so disruptive to actually playing the game (you can’t tell if enemies are there or can see you) it would be kind of cool.

For what it’s worth, I’m still getting the shooting range crash. I wonder if that means my game somehow isn’t up to date even if I have the “always keep up to date” option on. I’m trying to validate my install now. I’m also playing at a very high resolution and I’ll try turning that down.

hm, nope, running the latest version.