Dexter

I agree that it’s hands-down the best new show of the season.

I wish you chicks would stop using that excuse.

Anyway, I watched the first episode of this today. It’s… pretty good, a little weird. I’ll keep watching, but I definitely don’t get you dudes who think it’s better than Heroes and Studio 60, unless episode 2 just blows my mind.

I watched it. I dunno. I sorta need a sympathetic lead or one with charisma or one with a single feeling in his body.

When you start to feel there is something there and then cut to him, well cutting, I just don’t much care what he has to say. I mean, he still is chopping people up into bits of his very own. I get the creepy, edgy, clever angle, but I did not find it very entertaining. All the quirky other cast members are unique in more of a miserable and depressing kinda a way rather than interesting in their idiosyncratic stumblings through life.

I have the 2nd Tivo’d and since all the fancy newspaper quotes and several here seem to think it is the shit and all I will give it another go.

Verdict: wait and see

EDIT: All I kept thinking was that I wish this was Millenium

I’m loving this show. The thing I don’t get is, howcum there isn’t a homicide squad hunting down all the missing persons that Dexter has disappeared? Presuming he cuts them up good, you still have to figure a body part or something will show up somewhere. Plus, wouldn’t some detective somewhere notice that there’s been, like, a million missing persons in the Miami/Dade area? And all of them have been previously acquited of heinous crimes?

Still, Michael C Hall is awesome.

He basically states in the first episode, that the solve rate for murders in that area is a dismal 20%, hence it’s a perfect area for someone like him.

While I liked the first episode I can see myself getting very tried of the “i’m empty, i feel nothing, i’m honing my CRAAAFT” spiel he keeps spitting out inbetween the clever and genuinely strange bits where he’s around other people. It’s as if the writers just threw their hands up and cribbed those parts of the script from some livejournal with a black layout.

For some reason, my Showtime On Demand has episode 3 available already. I really like this episode. It doesn’t have quite as much of the “I’m empty/livejournal” stuff that you complain about, and there’s a secondary storyline with one of the other cops that’s starting to develop which will be interesting.

As of episode 3, I’m not liking the direction the show is going. I think that this idea would work better as a movie or a miniseries. I noticed in the credits that it’s based on a book, so I’m curious how much of the plot is invention and how much is from the source material.

What makes the show compelling is Dexter, so I don’t understand why they are adding plotlines that are completely divorced from the spine of the show. If they were framing the Guerrero stuff around Dexter, I think it could be interesting, but they are (so far, anyway) splitting off to a totally different point of view that is centered around these secondary characters. Plus, Doakes (the black guy) is set up in the first episode as a sort of minor antagonist. I’m not sure why we are supposed to care about him all of a sudden.

I’m still liking the show, but I would prefer something more focused on what makes the show different instead of a slip into ensemble police procedural territory.

I finally got around to watching this, and I approve of this show.

I, too, endorse this show. The point, I hope, of the plotlines around the secondary characters is to establish them as somewhat sympathetic characters as a set up somewhere way down the line for an eventual face-off between Doakes and Dexter. That way we might not wind up just hoping Dexter offs him and instead have some drama. At least, that’s what I’d do.

Holy crap, is this show creepy!

First two episodes available from: http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/sneakpeek/home.do?paidsearch=snipsgoogle

Same here.

C’mon now… if last night’s episode #10 wasn’t among the most intense hours of television you’ve ever seen…

The way I see it, this can’t end well for our friend Dex. There’s wayyyy too much blood on his hands, literally.

What I love about this show is it feels so controlled. The tension is doled out with just the right amount of release every week, so it’s enticing, and not frustrating. Unlike Lost, I have complete confidence the production/writing team knows exactly where they’re going with this one.

SPOILER BELOW!!!

Was there a second, male body in the room with child-Dex (i.e. Mom and ???)? I thought there was the suggestion that there was, but my wife pointed out that we met bio-dad last week. I tried to argue that it was possible the guy from last week was actually the murderer of Dex’s real parents, and then just snatched him away, but that wouldn’t account for the DNA match.

The whole child-Dexter sequence freaked me out. What a great show.

Dex is my new favourite serial killer.

My guess is that Dex’s father murdered his mother while he watched, tried to run with him, and got caught.

And yeah, the whole story line with Rudy is darn facinating. Clever way for him to approach Dexter without Dex catching on.

I also like some of the subtleties with the more minor characters. Like how the sergeant keeps trying to ask Dexter’s sister out and keeps getting shot down or Masuka being a total hound despite being a nerd.

s

I don’t see how Dex’s dad would have gotten out of prison at all after killing multiple people with a chainsaw in front of his own kid. I do think it’s possible that Dex’s dad was in prison when it happened, and she was shacking up with Chainsaw Guy.

Is there any way to hide spoilers on this forum? I forget.

You put in a message like this:

[noparse]

[/noparse]

DON’T READ PAST THIS! SPOILERS AHEAD! BACK AWAY SLOWLY

[noparse]

[/noparse]

ZOMG MORE SPOILARS!!!1!

Yes, there was a dead man lying there before the mother got killed, as well as a lot of blood. My guess is that his biological father didn’t raise him and maybe was in prison at the time, and his mom and lover got killed by the man she was living with or married to.

My favourite part of the entire series so far was when he was talking to the shrink, right before he killed him, and said something like “I’m a little conflicted because you’ve been very helpful, but I was raised with certain morals…” And then he snaps the face shield down. In fact, my only complaint about the last couple episodes is that he hasn’t chopped anyone up. Getting his girlfriend’s ex sent back to prison was pretty cool, though.

END SPOILARS

Best show on TV this season, bar none.