Diablo 2: Resurrected will test your resolve to boycott Blizzard

Sure is nice playing D2 with a controller, though. I always secretly hated the function-key dance.

I’m far from a Blizzard fanboy, but I think what they did was really good aside from the broken servers and no local co-op. The servers will get fixed, but the local will never get added. I would imagine it’s a big overhaul to how the game was designed.

I’m enjoying this. I used to do a run through of D2 once a year all the way until D3 came out. The graphical update is nice, but coming back I realized it was the music and atmosphere I loved most.

D3 has all the QoL updates that makes going back to D2 gameplay rough, but dang, the music in D2 is just light years better.

Started playing today. 40 euros is steep but VV did fantastic job refreshing this. I already killed Andariel. Playing Druid for the first time and it’s fun having 5 wolves, raven and amazon with me while throwing giant balls of lava at my enemies.

It is just as addicting and fun as ever. I even stopped playing Deathloop.

I am glad I never played D3 so those vaunted “QoL updates” are not missed and D2 with gamepad feels 100% modern and awesome to me.

And yes Matt Uelmen is 90% of the game’s atmosphere. He is the best.

Well… you should play D3 after finishing the D2 remaster.

Yes, just not on PC, if you want to use a controller. :(

I plan to give it a chance, eventhough I hate its cartoony aesthetics.

Indeed I bought D3 with expansion on PS4 Pro only because of the controller support.

Well, it’s 4AM and I am assembling the staff to get at Duriel. I didn’t expect to get to level 20 in a day, but here I am. Digital crack.

I think this is undocumented - on controller I just found you can hold the map button down to cycle through the 3 map modes

It’s so weird that even this Diablo 2 remaster on PS5 has an option to switch between “performance” 60 fps mode or “quality” mode at 30 fps. What in the world could this 20 year old game be offering me in quality mode that my powerful modern console can’t handle at 60 fps?

Are you going playing with your eyes closed? The game is gorgeous! That said I assume it has to reduce lights and shadows and textures like other games to hit 60fps as this is a remastered 20 year old game, not a 20 year old game.

It looks good, I have no complaints about that. But it’s not exactly pushing the boundaries of a PS5. If Ratchet and Clank can give me ray tracing at 60fps it’s weird that D2 can’t set something that looks good enough that there’s no need to consider dropping frames. Definitely don’t default me to 30fps (as I think was the case). It’s not a big deal and fwiw I cannot tell the difference. Just making an observation.

Edit update: When I went back to the game, it was now night and I could definitely see the difference on quality mode. And it did look particularly good. Touche, Diablo 2.

Also it’s been a long time since I played and I forgot how good the music is. Maybe previously I hadn’t played with headphones much or I wonder if even they touched up the audio. It sounds great.

Playing as a necro and when I got to Andariel she wiped the floor with my skeletons and golem. I realize a summons aren’t going to take down a boss but I was surprised at how quickly they fell :(

I believe they remastered the soundtrack, yeah. Also 7.1 surround sound!

I recorded the hour before Andariel plus the fight with her (close to the end at 1:00:40)

The video was so large (over 20GB) that I ran out of space, so it ends mid ending cutscene :)

Does the inventory get bigger at some point? I can’t remember, but that is the one thing that is driving me a bit nuts. I can fit about 3 large items before I need to return to town to sell.

I am thoroughly enjoying it. A certain amount of it is nostalgia, but I also just like that it is fairly basic. I am not obsessing with all the stats like I would in Grim Dawn, just running around killing things. And as everyone else has said, controller support is sooo good (playing on Xbox).

Nope, no inventory size changes. The expansion’s charms really narrow down your space.

I think it’s really amazing that the game looks the same as I remember it, even though I can hit the toggle and see the original graphics. I can’t wait for the disappointment of losing a level 87 hardcore character to hit again.

Two things.

1 - Duriel continues to be the hottest bullshit in the entire game. Fuck this encounter.

2 - Just hit Act 4 and hit level 26. My Sorceress is metal af.

It amuses me the pirate version of D2R has a server emulator that requires rootcert install that can reformat your HD.