Diablo 2: Resurrected will test your resolve to boycott Blizzard

Maybe. I played quite a lot of Diablo 2 on my LAN back in the day and it was always fantastic.

Oh, and I bought Resurrected this morning. But for the record, I had never boycotted Blizzard—they just haven’t made anything I’ve wanted to play since Warcraft 3.

Well I decided to make a Blizzard / Fire Ball sorceress for the first time and I’m having a blast. I put in /players 8 and blew through Act I without any trouble, finishing up at CLVL 19. We’ll see what Act II brings tomorrow.

This is how remasters should be done. The game looks fantastic, but is still true to the original’s style. Everything else is so spot on that I went from playing the original yesterday to this today and didn’t miss a beat. Thankfully I haven’t run into any bugs, except for the ones that were carried over bit for bit (like the doors in the Inner Cloister opening, but appearing to stay shut). Funny, that.

I have a feeling I’m going to be playing this for a very long time.

Somebody was wondering about guides earlier in this thread and I think this is the best I’ve seen.

Great runeword content and comprehensive leveling/build guides for each class, among other things.

Fucking Christ, just lost more progress because the servers are defective.

It’s amazing to me that playing the Barbarian is so easy compared to other classes. I beat Radamant last night so today I can concentrate on getting the Horadric Cube before my shared stashes burst at the seams with gems that need to be cubed.

My Barbarian has 11 unspent skill points by now at level 16 I think. I couldn’t decided which mastery to pick so I just haven’t picked any yet, and I’m absolutely fine.

Meanwhile, Trap Assassin V has also made it to Act 2 last night but hasn’t beaten Radamant yet, so I’ll have to get on that. I think Trap Assassin 3 died to Radamant so I’m still very gunshy about that encounter. Not with my Barbarian, of course, he can just face-tank everything.

For your Trap Assassin are you putting all your points into Vitality? Also I never face tank things, I just run around in circles spamming the fire trap. Go through a lot of mana potions, but rarely more than I find.

I don’t play hardcore (because that’s crazy) but I haven’t had any issues with my fire trap assassin. Made it to lvl 35 now and will be respeccing into lightning.

(also yes I broke, this was a much better purchase than New World)

Thank you for this guide. I might try their lightning Amazon build from this guide. Over the years, the Amazon was always my favorite character to play, but I had more dead Amazons than any other characters for a reason. Playing a bow amazon on hell difficulty is just so hard. Any little mistake gets you killed. And like I said, on players 8, even with a badass unique bow, I couldn’t do enough damage to elites on hell difficulty to even overcome their natural health regeneration. So I would be hitting this elite zombie in act 1 with all magic arrows and fully invested Cold arrows, and I couldn’t do enough damage to overcome the health regeneration.

I did try the lightning bolt javelin thrower Amazon a few times, but I never got to hell difficulty with her, I always died on Nightmare, usually in Act 3 in those temples. Those places are death traps for Amazons!

Yep yep. I switched to the Leaf Staff for Trap Assassin 4 in Act 2 and got all the way to Baal using only the Wake of Fire, basically. Baal’s last set of minions, the big ugly guys accidentally got close enough to me to hit me twice even though they were under Cloak of Shadows of whatever that ability is called. So I died. Next time I’ll be more careful in Baal’s chamber against his minions.

Truth is I was fiddling around with the Left trigger, trying to feed potions to my mercenary who died, and that’s why I was kind of negligent on my positioning, and not running away like I should have been.

This reminds me, I’ve only played on Offline and right now I have a level 44 Sorceress, a level 30 Barbarian, a level 14 Necro and a level 6 Paladin with more builds/characters planned. What sucks is I picked up a copy on the Switch thinking I could play on the couch and keep this party going, only to find out only Online characters are cross-save. I just don’t want to play Online characters, any amount of lag would drive me crazy first off (and I guess second off would be the quote from Adam here), but also there isn’t a good wi-fi connection (from the Switch’s point of view; it’s totally fine for our phones) in the living room. So since I can’t really refund a Nintendo purchase, I’ll be starting a new Offline cadre of characters on the Switch - eventually. Probably a long time from now.

They have one achievement each for finishing the game on Hell difficulty with each character class, and another achievement for finishing the game on Hell difficulty with ALL character classes. An achievement for getting to level 99. And an achievement for getting to level 99 with a hardcore character. These are all things I was unable to do after playing the original Diablo 2 for thousands of hours.

It feels doable this time though. Why? Because this time I have the wisdom of the internet to guide me, right? I can look up guides and other stuff that I didn’t the first time because me and my friends had fun figuring out everything on our own. But surely with the internet’s wisdom available, I should be able to do it this time. I don’t want really want to create immortal characters to do it though. I tend to lose interest in the game if I do that.

99 is an absurd grind. IIRC it takes more XP to go 90-99 than it does to go 1-90. Might even be worse than that.

I’ve always wondered if a spellsword sorc is a viable build.

pretty cool guy…

Playing this constantly now. I have to avoid creating a bunch of new characters. So far just paladin and sorceress. As someone else said, I’m really glad I picked this over New World.

It’s a meme build. Enchant just isn’t good enough.

But “viable” can mean whatever you want it to. Diablo is all about setting challenges for yourself. Maybe “beat nightmare with a melee sorceress” is your goal, and that’s cool! I want to read that story ;)

Okay I have totally thought the same thing (a melee Sorceress) and actually stumbled across this character build that makes it viable.

The trick basically is that you Enchant yourself and use a weapon with the runeword “Passion” in it, as it gives you the paladin skill Zeal with which you actually use to kill stuff. Passion can go in any 4-socket melee or ranged weapon so you have a lot of options for what to use. The most difficult rune to find is “Lem” which actually isn’t so bad.

However, I don’t think it would be really viable as a first character but you could respec your Sorceress into it once you have some of the pieces. Enchant doesn’t even become available until level 18 anyway so you really couldn’t do it right out of the gate.

A friend of mine got fairly far with a melee Sorceress build. But I don’t think he made it all the way to the end of Normal difficulty. He died, I think in Act 3 or Act 4. It was still a fun build for him to play and for us to watch him play. The sorceress melee animations look so awkward, it never failed to bust us into laughter.

Hit Causes Monster to Flee - on a melee build…ewwwww

It’s a small indie company with a brand new game, cut them some slack.

It is a lot worse than that. Just from a pure XP standpoint, once you get into the 90s each level increase is the equivalent of running a character from 1 to 63-70. It takes more XP to go from level 98 to 99 alone than it does to go from level 1 to level 70.

But that’s only half the story. Once your character level is 10 levels or more above the monster you’re fighting, you only get 5% of their XP. And then on top of that, there’s another XP penalty for characters above level 70 that maxes out at 98 where you only get 0.59% of your normal XP. Because of this, once you get to 98, it will take you about as long to get to 99 as it did to get to 98 in the first place. How long is that? We’re talking like 10,000+ Hell Baal runs if you never die.

If you do die on level 98, you’ll lose about 29 million XP (unless you can recover your corpse, in which case you’ll “only” lose about 7.25 million XP). That’s about a thousand Baal runs worth of XP if you can’t fetch your corpse, and about 250 runs if you can (and don’t die again in the process). So in other words, unless you can run Baal thousands of times in a row without dying, you simply can not get to 99.

So basically, unless you’re playing multiplayer with a bunch of people willing to spend thousands of hours helping you get to 99 by clearing the way to bosses and letting you take the final blow, 99 is not really feasible in any reasonable sense of the word.

My highest build ever was 92, and I spent a ridiculous amount of time on it.