Diablo 2 vs. Neverwinter Nights

I think the problem with NWN is that it went… pnp multiplayer with a real time engine/gameplay (I think they should have went turn based combat in its current form, or really slowed down combat). Also, I think they SHOULD have adopted a Diablo model for online, only because realistically most people aren’t (imo) going to play with a DM online, especially when the game itself plays out like Diablo, fast clicking and all. Also going turn based would easily make the game much more friendly to pnp dming… at its current form NWN is too fast and hectic to dm… at least for me

But I really think Bioware made the best of an ambitious idea though, and its still too early to write off NWN online. Anyway, I like the single player and the graphics are GREAT (though I wish I could see the sky).

Also odd that NWN sorta reminds me alot of Darkstone…

etc

Hey Mark, have you tried sliding the difficulty bar? I know I see that message pretty often in the load screens, that if the game is too easy or too hard then you can move the slider (no idea where it is though, game options?)

Yup, the difficulty slider should adjust things a bit. At Normal, creatures don’t use their most powerful abilities and such…

I OWN an ATI Card. I EXPERIENCE the problems. I am sorry, but the latest Catalyst Drivers ARE ass. GTA3 has a fog I can’t fix because the patch released doesn’t install properly. Lithtech games have artifacts. Medal of Honor has artifacts. NWN was crashing with these drivers until I reverted to one of the two good releases they had this year.

It’s true. You can cry and call me all the names you wanna, but that doesn’t change MY situation any.

“Medal of Honor has artifacts.”

The arctifact issues were fixed several driver releases ago, at least it was for me. The 6102 drivers have also fixed the crashing in NWN for me and others(from what I’ve seen on the Rage3D forums).

There’s also a fix for the fog in GTA3.

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/radeon8500issuesgames.html

6102’s aren’t official releases. I know they are leaked on purpose, but I want official releases that are fully supported to work. The current official release is terribly broken.

If 6102’s are as good as you say then I anticipate the next official release.

sigh whatever. I give some tips on helping for some of the games your having trouble with and…nevermind. Maybe you should sell your ATI and get a Nvidia card I guess.

You gave me a link to the same patch I already tried, but wouldn’t install on my system (mentioned in an earlier post). It isn’t that I didn’t pay attention, I just have been down that road before.

If you wanna sit here and sigh over having to deal with the common folk that might just have a problem with ATI, that’s fine with me.

Well if your having problems with it seems every games thats been fixed through updated drivers or specific patches then somethings really wrong and you really should look into another video card, because it sounds like you will continue to have problems in the future.

Because Ben Sones likes the story.[/quote]

And he’s not the only one.

To answer your question, Pillbod… NWN actually gives you a lot of options for how to do things. Pick locks, or bash the thing open if you don’t have the skill. Some things you can talk your way through if you’ve got lots of charisma/persuasion skill, or you can fight. Conversations do NOT always end the same way. I’ve pissed people off so they never talked to me again (but hey, I made 'em give me their gold, so what do I care?). I’ve gotten missions from people that I wouldn’t have gotten if I didn’t say the right thing at the right time, or help out this other person. I’ve been given choices between earning special buffs or money or magic items. I’ve been given ample opportunity to do the Good thing or the Evil thing (and have my good/evil rating move appropriately. For some classes, that’s important).

I even beat a crooked arena competition and won a BAR, to which I could return each week and collect the profit.

But then, if you’re just starting the game, you probably haven’t experienced a lot of that yet. Or if you’re playing a straightforward character and just trying to move the major plot points along, you won’t see much of that either.

NWN also has a lot of very interesting (and less interesting) optional stuff to do. You don’t HAVE to figure out what happened with the four boys and the werewolf, but you can, and it’s cool. You don’t even need to set foot in Charwood, but it’s probably the best story in the game.

And of course, the extensibility shouldn’t be dismissed easily. It’s just like two weeks old and already I can hop online and immediately play dozens of user-made modules without so much as a download. I regularly play on a couple persistant-world servers that use server vault characters, and while they’re in their infancy, they’re like little mini MMORPGs (without the “massively”), and curiously addictive.

As far as storytelling in computer gaming, I would put the Charwood stuff in NWN on par with Planescape: Torment. Excellent stuff. It’s too bad the entire game couldn’t sustain that level of creativity and writing.

-Tom

“To answer your question, Pillbod… NWN actually gives you a lot of options for how to do things. Pick locks, or bash the thing open if you don’t have the skill. Some things you can talk your way through if you’ve got lots of charisma/persuasion skill, or you can fight. Conversations do NOT always end the same way. I’ve pissed people off so they never talked to me again (but hey, I made 'em give me their gold, so what do I care?). I’ve gotten missions from people that I wouldn’t have gotten if I didn’t say the right thing at the right time, or help out this other person. I’ve been given choices between earning special buffs or money or magic items. I’ve been given ample opportunity to do the Good thing or the Evil thing (and have my good/evil rating move appropriately. For some classes, that’s important).”

I wonder how much variance there really is in the game, though? Picking a lock or bashing it? What’s the difference? I know you can act like an ass in the endless dialog trees, but besides making the game harder as a result, does it change it any other way? I mean, can I play as an evil character and NOT help stop the plague, etc.?

I’d almost say the game gives the illusion of choice because they are choices that don’t really matter. It’s like sidequests. You can choose to skip them, but what impact does that have? None, except you’re depriving your character of some loot and XP. NWN doesn’t seem nearly as open-ended as Morrowind, for example.

I’d almost say the game gives the illusion of choice because they are choices that don’t really matter. It’s like sidequests. You can choose to skip them, but what impact does that have? None, except you’re depriving your character of some loot and XP. NWN doesn’t seem nearly as open-ended as Morrowind, for example.

But what really happens in Morrowind? I admit I only played for a short time because it bored the hell out of me. Nothing dramatic happened. No burning cities, no war, no important quest. Nothing changed except the quest journal.

From what I saw, Morrowind was open-ended because there wasn’t anything interesting to do except wander.

" NWN doesn’t seem nearly as open-ended as Morrowind, for example."

Which can lead to bland and boring…

I liked both but NWN just seems to have a bit more meat.

There’s a LOT of customization of character, a lot more interaction with people and there are side quests.

Diablo 2 is more of an action/arcade game. A really fun one at that.

Either Blizzard adds an online dm component / editor to Diablo ala NWN … or Bioware does the opposite releasing a nice long dungeon romp like Diablo…

I think NWN should have focused on a balanced online Diablo experience. Its doable now to make it with editor… but I still think it would have done more good in making the game accesible online Diabnlo style at release. I have yet to have that much fun online with NWN… I’m sure NWN will get lots of good stuff thru mods and expasnions… so I still think the potential is there.

etc