Diablo 4 - World of Diablo info from an uncle of a friend from Blizzard

It’s Friday. We all have nothing better to do than debate if this might be accurate or not, or terrible (or not) while we are waiting for the work day to end. You know who you are.

EDIT This isn’t being reported on anywhere else, so I think it’s all horseshit.

All makes sense to me, and they scheduled a “What’s next for Diablo” panel at Blizzcon. Something to look forward to for 2022 to get our minds off President Spicer.

Will the Collector’s Edition include a mini Lich King pet?

But how will ActiBlizz monetize it?

Yes, definitely need to know how they’ll be implementing the auction house, as well as how long they’ll keep it in this time before remembering that its a terrible idea.

If they’re smart, by adding a ton of new heroes rather than being class-based. Like that Marvel game that just got shut down. Also cosmetics and time-savers. And it’ll probably be B2P.

Sounds reasonable. They screwed the pooch with D3. Once you were done, you were done. Rifts? Seasons? I have no idea what those are or why I’d want to do them. They weren’t in the D3 I played.

Speak for yourself. Seems like those things were quite popular. I haven’t played as much D3 as others, but I have really enjoyed the game in its current state. Seasons, etc are great fun. Recently bought it again on the Xbox even.

If D4 is a MMORPG I will skip it. I had my time in EQ, and to a lesser extent WoW, and I have zero interest in ever playing another one again.

Oooh, you missed the best part of Diablo 3. I actually had the same opinion of D3 as you did, but when I went back and tried adventure mode and Seasons and all that, I finally saw the brilliance of the game. Of course, playing on console also helped a lot, since that’s where the game really shines.

D3 is a whole new game now. It is unreservedly excellent. The only mystery is why they didn’t continue to support it. I guess maybe they moved on to D4.

I wouldn’t expect a true MMO with a persistent world, etc. If they’re smart they’ll take PoE as a model.

Skipping the endgame doesn’t mean there is none ;) It’s actually quite good. Seasons provide periodic fresh starts with a selection of rewards, and progressing through greater rifts is a fun challenge. I always return for a week or two with each season, then put the game down in between.

Few games have improved as much as D3, relative to the mess it was at launch. If they keep what they have learned in mind when designing whatever ‘World of Diablo’ turns out to be, I am very interested in this.

Still prefer D2, but yes, it has improved by bunches.

Yeah, coming back for rifts and seasons is what got me to have a whole group of max level characters. Seasons are an easy way to get a set of armor for a class, and once you have that initial set it is party time.

I just want D2 remastered in D3 (so the zones, enemies, etc.) would be available in Adventure mode, etc. Also with D2’s soundtrack, of course. One of the best VG soundtracks evah.

Diablo Reign of Terror merchandise has started appearing in Blizzard’s shop.

Given Blizzard development timescales, all of that could be true, and yet irrelevant for the future of Diablo.

Diablo 3 was announced in June 2008, and it came out on PC in May 2012, almost exactly four years later. And then the console version with a lot of the great changes (less loot, no auction house, offline play, controller support) came in June 2013, about a year later. And then those changes and more came to the PC in 2014 (well, most of the changes, obviously no offline play or controller support for PC).

So about 4 years from announcement to release, and another year before the game became good, another year after that before it became excellent (adventure mode, rifts, etc.), total of 6 years after the announcement.

So if they announce this year, then maybe this time they’ll wait a little longer to polish the game, let’s say 2024 release?

The certainly fits with “Soon™”

(okay, that’s the best discourse feature yet - it auto-superscripted the ‘tm’)

Blizzard doesn’t do “soon,” anymore. BfA was released too soon and Ion said in the Forbes interview that’s just how they roll now.

Ouch. Hadn’t seen the Forbes bit. That’s… not going to go over well.