Diablo III

For me personally, the best build in any Diablo game ever. Cruise control. It doesn’t have the min/max all or nothing damage that you need for pushing, but it’s just amazing for farming and bounties.

Well, it’s stupid. They have an enormously successful game there but they aren’t nurturing it. It’s downright criminal that they aren’t working on a second expansion or Diablo 4-- or at least haven’t made enough progress to announce anything yet.

No loot boxes, no serious dev investment. Paid expansion content is dead as door-nail, as far as Blizz is concerned. So stupid.

Yeah, without a big new D3 expansion or a D4 on the horizon, Diablo is now on hiatus. There’s enough gaming goodness out there that the time I spent on D3 (PC & PS4) has satisfied any desire I have to continue.

Activision, to be specific. But recent Activision (and Blizzard) games have been monetized in a fairly benign manner. Overwatch, COD:WW2, and Destiny2 lootboxes are all cosmetic stuff that could fit in an ARPG. Hell, Destiny2 basically is an ARPG, just in FPS form.

Now would Diablo4 be a better game monetized solely through actual content DLC and expansion packs? Of course. But if it had Overwatch-style lootboxes, that wouldn’t be the end of the world. And Path of Exile has shown that it’s possible to monetize exactly this type of game in a completely non-intrusive, non-offensive way, generating an ongoing revenue stream and keeping the game going strong.

Blizzard for all their game dev cred actually is kind of bad at monetization. Kind of like Bethesda actually. Creative Assembly actually seems to have figured out how best to balance real games and paid DLC that is real content and that people actually want to buy

Remember when SC2 was announced they told everyone there would be a paid map store for creators? And then they not only killed the map store but also killed user created custom maps? And when they made Diablo 3 there was an auction house that kept all high end items in circulation forever leading to runaway inflation? They finally gave in and made loot boxes in Ovwerwatch but they are 100% cosmetic.

I easily have 1000 hours in D3, I find that very hard to complain about. I get wanting other stuff, and wanting the game to keep going, but it really seems like people have these unreal expectations from Blizzard games. D3 has gone on for years longer than any other developer would have supported it, especially given the lack of monetization.

/shrug. I’m thrilled there aren’t loot boxes and stores and all other manner of horrible current crap that pops up in D3 and continually takes me out of the vibe, but that’s just me. Most modern video games to me, are like that Simpsons episode where Homer designs a website.

Yeah, I grumble, but I can’t fault the support ActiBlizz have put behind D3. Honestly, I groan because I want to give them some more money to show my appreciation! Shit I wouldn’t even be that mad if the implemented cosmetic loot boxes into D3 with (an advertised) view to it funding more content, if it would appease the financiers and get them on it.

I have more stash tabs than I know what to do with in PoE (well, not really - I am a hoarder), but at least it’s a mechanism that let’s me reward the Devs. I would buy stash tabs in D3, if they would let me.

There is enough people still playing D3 that it just surprises me ActiBlizz don’t seem to want to monetise them. And then a Blizzcon rolls around with nothing but crickets on Diablo. Bit weird. Still, I am going to play the everloving shit out of a remastered D2 if when it rears its head.

If I could buy stash tabs in D3, I’d play it more ironically. With set collection and having one of each class, there is not room.

So, I play a season, but I am just not dedicated enough to do everything you need for the stash tab. So now I have more stuff in mail than will fit in chars/tabs. It’s overwhelming to sort it, so I walk away. I like plinking around with builds, they don’t have to be great (just amusing). D3 seems to tell me that playing stupid (or not) fun builds solo or with family is not valuable. Group speedrun or go home. So, ok …

How come every time I get the urge to fire up D3, it’s right at the end of a Season?
So, apparently this season ends on Sunday, and then it’s 2 weeks before the next one begins. What do you do for 2 weeks if you’re still avidly playing this? I guess I’ll just wait.

What? its ending already… damn.

Guess I’ll try to get 'stuff’™ done next season. only made it to 150 on HC monk this time.

Sort your (fucking limited) bank tabs and agonize every day over what to destroy in order to make room.

But isn’t all that stuff just for non-season characters? Is it worth keeping? Does anyone play non-season characters?

Why aren’t they selling tabs yet? They could make a fortune.

Grim Dawn!!!

The good thing about non-season characters is the accumulation of Paragon levels and the flood of seasonal stuff that fills in the gaps you might have in gear, it seems.

My seasonal play is never as intense as it could be; I always burn out long before the season ends, or a character I’m sort of grinding dies. My wife has lost like, literally, six or seven Witch Doctors this season; her current one is back to doing T10 but neither of us has gotten close to GR70 sadly.

Completely skipped this season. I am already maxed on stash tabs and while the seasonal cosmetics are nice enough, they are not enough of a pull themselves to bring me back so I opted to spend my ARPG with Path of Exile.

I can’t think of any reason to play outside of a season unless you have a personal goal of getting to paragon 2000, or GR100, or something along those lines.

I logged in last month to do the anniversary events since I missed them last year by a day.

So now I’m playing Grim Dawn while I wait for the next season to try the rebalanced stuff.

Did the new season start? I picked up the latest expansion with the Necromancer, thinking I could give it a go. Haven’t played in a while, so kind of excited to jump back in. Is there any reason to check out a season guide or is just hopping into the game reasonable? The only thing I can remember from last time I did a season was going out of my way to do get a cube-thing for handling enchants or something?

Started last week. Hop right on in, I don’t think there’s any new changes.