Diablo III

This forum needs sigs so that I can make mine “time spent playing Diablo III not playing a Witch Doctor is time wasted”. Then I would have some sort of embedded link to my Witch Doctor’s online profile. And an animated gif of him chucking out jars of corpse spiders. It would be the coolest sig ever.

-Tom

I can’t get behind that. Until witch doctors can go all John Woo with a pair of handheld automatic explosive crossbows while rocking some kickass high heels well, they’ll always be second class to me.

Monk since Season 2.

My first D3 char was witch doctor tho, so did all the game up till the expansion with that one.

To get the best details for the game I’d recommend using TurboHud overlay.

Since I played the console version, I haven’t touched the PC version. It is vastly inferior, IMHO. I do still own it, I suppose, but I just love the console version so much more.

On the other hand, coming straight from so many hours of Grim Dawn, I have to admit, the graphics on D3 are not as impressive to me anymore. Grim Dawn is very pretty, and it also came out a few years later, so that’s to be expected.

But one thing I immediately love about the console version over even Grim Dawn is the interface. It’s a circular interface, and there’s no more inventory tetris. Grim Dawn has those auto-sort buttons that make inventory management pretty easy, but not as easy as not having any inventory tetris at all. Console Diablo 3 just limits it by total number of items you can carry. There’s a lot less loot that drops, and when you get something, it gets marked my a star in your circular radial menu, so you can straight to that, compare it to what you’re wearing, and press a button to designate it as junk. Then whenever you get to a merchant, there’s a button to “sell all junk”. It really streamlines a portion of these games that I never even realized needed streamlining until I experienced it for myself. And then once you play it this way, you realize, “wait, why on earth was I spending all that time playing inventory tetris? What did that add to the game?” And the truth is, it added nothing. You can still combine gems and compare inventory stuff in this radial system, but it just takes less time. So it keeps the fun stuff, and doesn’t make you bother with the meaningless stuff.

Of course, the TurboHud overlay you’re talking about might do this as well, so maybe this is already in the PC version for all I know.

For people who don’t mind buying from cdkeys.com, they have the Diablo 3 Battlechest for just under $21.

The 20th Anniversary Event started today. It’s pretty fun - spoiler tags for anyone who wants to be surprised.

[spoiler]Basically, they create a multi-level (like 16-20) dungeon for you to hack through. It’s accessed by traveling to Tristam and going to the “Old Ruins”. Wander around until you find a 16-bit-looking town portal and then hop inside.

The gimmick is that they put a filter over the screen that pixelizes the screen to evoke the original. It doesn’t actually DO anything to the gameplay - that’s still D3 - but it’s a fun effect. I guess they change the HUD to be evocative of the original too.

What’s really great is that they bring back a lot of the original D1 sounds and soundtrack, and THAT more than the graphics really got me into the nostalgic mood with the game.

Hack all the way down to the bottom of the dungeon and you get a cool legendary gem and a bunch of achievements.[/spoiler]

I did not have a chance to played with the Event yet. I am looking forward to doing so later today. One other thing this update did was provide a 64bit client running on DX11. There are a couple of new video settings that made the visual better than before.

When does the new season start? Will the Anniversary Event be included in the season?

edit:

Season 9 begins Friday, January 6 at 5:00 p.m. PST in North America, 5:00 p.m. CEST in Europe, and 5:00 p.m. KST in Asia.

Anniversary event was a neat diversion for an hour. It’s worth doing once.

I did it on the PTR and was unimpressed. Glorified Rift with a graphics filter applied. Maybe worthwhile as a new toon, but trivially pointless with a geared 70. Useless gem reward at then end, so only other reason to do it is the cosmetics or 5 minutes of nostalgia value before you tire of it.

The fact that this started by some of the devs as an unofficial side project and the Necromacer was only started on a few weeks leading up to Blizzcon seems indicative of Blizz’s attitude towards D3 - it ain’t revenue generating so it’s an afterthought they barely care about.

Oh it’s definitely pointless in that you won’t get any upgrades. But like I said, it was a neat thing to do once. You get a bunch of achievements and a nostalgia injection.

It’s been completely obvious that Diablo3 wouldn’t get a second expansion for several years now. Kanai’s Cube is a major expansion-level feature.

This is live on consoles too, if anyone was curious. I got down to 10th level before I got too tired last night, so I didn’t see how it ended but yeah, just seemed like a slightly lower rez Diablo 3 to me.

Do you get a bunch of new achievements for it? If so, are they zero point achievements like during Forzathon weekends on Forza Horizon 3? Those are kind of neat despite being zero points.

There are new in-game achievements, like the challenges, but I don’t believe there are any new Xbox achievements.

The blue items that drop are pretty amusing too.

Yea, gonna run through it with a friend later today in case there are any coop achievs ;P

The music was the best part imo. Also noticed they now have a 64-bit client, so my graphics+mods do not work, so thinking I’ll go back on the 32-bit client (This one time!). :)

How to get a cow pet:

You do want to touch the cows, though. That’s how it works.

I touched the cows, Ray.

When someone asks you if you’re a cow, you say yes!