Diablo III

Tried it on switch, no luck

Playing in what could well be the last Season for Diablo III (donā€™t know what its fate will be when D4 launches), Iā€™m quite enjoying my Hardcore Sorc. Iā€™m pretty unimaginative, so Iā€™m just going with a Firebird set and Disintegrating things. Iā€™m going slow though, not as much time to put into it as I used to have, and am just slumming it so far in T4. I finally got my legendary gem that gives the regen and bubble to 25, which was cool, until I looked and saw my wifeā€™s Witch Doctor has all of her gems at like 65 and has three times the Paragon levels I have. Of course, sheā€™s rocking Torment XIII and GR 70 (also Hardcore), so she needs it.

I have always liked how the developers (after the missteps of the first year at least) just roll with this being a single-player game primarily and have no problems with you becoming an unstoppable death machine. Well, ā€œunstoppableā€ in the sense that in normal play you can get to a point where only a rare convergence of elites and affixes will kill you. In Hardcore that same chance of insta-death looms a bit more ominously.

Which is why I still will not do those things where you use a petrified scream or whatever to open a portal to a timed endless dungeon of doom level. Did that once the first season they had it and lost a high level character, because it bugged out and didnā€™t end properly. Probably will try it once more at the end of the season maybe.

That will kill you permanently on hardcore if you fail (ie, itā€™s not like the set dungeons). I looked it up cause I was curiousā€¦

Iā€™m currently paused on my seasonal journey: its been stormy here this past week (and probably next) and power outages are a stupid way to lose a hc characterā€¦but even before then, my progress has stalled out at GR80. I have all my gear, so the only thing i can do is spend some time and tune it, or hope for primals - iā€™ve only had two drop so far, and they were both kinda mehā€¦

I think in all the time Iā€™ve played D3, Iā€™ve seen one primal maybe. Admittedly, I usually peter out around Paragon 450+ or so each season, too.

Taking this back. Confirm I got this to work on Switch

Can someone ELI5 how seasons work?

1 Like

Iā€™ve only done 2 seasons total. There is a special season gameplay mechanic added to the game otherwise:

1. You create a new character and level it to 60 (max)
  2. There are objectives to complete to unlock a group of set items for the class you have chosen
  3. Once you have unlocked all the set items for your class you can usually farm greater rifts and get better loot due to the complete set damage bonus (itā€™s a big leap in power)
  4. Continue to push greater rifts higher and higher and find better loot to get more powerful until you can do max difficulty runs with ease
  5. Once of sufficient power, complete the rest of the season objectives for the final rewards (usually cosmetic, like a pet)
  6. Optional: Start a new character and repeat but without the free set item rewards to help you along the way. Youā€™ll need to loot a group of set items the hard way. Easier done than said actually. During just one season I got every single set item for every single class as your main will be looting set items for other classes along the way.
4 Likes

Thank you. Iā€™ve only ever played the campaign and with friends and never done seasons. I guess I can think of it like Fortniteā€™s season passes.

I donā€™t play Fortnight, but I guess? Itā€™s certainly the way to play the game alongside other players with everyone having the same goals in mind, so there will be plenty of games to join for greater rift runs for example.

Also before you start a season you should complete the challenge dungeon for the ā€œcare package.ā€ I forget what it is called. It allows you to upgrade all the vendors immediately and have a nice bundle of resources for making stuff, plus gold to spare rather then starting at 0.

If you are talking D3, level cap is 70, then Paragon levels. Otherwise, yeah, thatā€™s it in a nutshell.

1 Like

Whaaaaat??

Yeah, what the heck is this about? I guess Iā€™ll have to google it and try it out.

Edit: Apparently itā€™s called a Challenge Cache.

I enjoy it in much the same I way enjoy a game like Vampire Survivors.

I get increasingly powerful to the point where an entire screen of badass beasts explode, or one explodes and that starts a chain reaction that explodes all the others, or some third mechanism that does much the same thing.

Along the way I can push the difficulty, and Iā€™ll have to move and play smarter, much like a survivors game before your build becomes godlike.

The difference is that the xp doesnā€™t come in gems, and Iā€™m spamming abilities instead of them just firing automatically, but itā€™s much the same hook. Itā€™s the deliciousness of an entire screen of enemies being blown to bits.

1 Like

OOPS!

Yeah. I only did it when I participated in my second season based on tips from other players. Grab your Challenge Cache and letā€™s-a-go! I think when the season starts youā€™ll have plenty of help with the challenge dungeon because everyone and their mother will be running it. Not sure about mid-late season.

Yeah, I finally got up to needing a Challenge Cache reward for my next unlock in the Altar of Rites and caught the horrible current crusader one they are on. I think I will just wait until the next one on Monday.

I havenā€™t played a season, nor Diablo III, since maybe season 3 or something and this last season they really let things go on giving you lots more power and a sort of all in for the last season ever. That Altar of Rites is awesome and allows you to push power early and fast and has lots of nice quality of life features too.

I just got to GR90 on my season armor set Bone Spear necromancer build. I can do Torment 16 comfortably, but am close to maxing out on GR with damage, I am afraid. I still have lots of Ancients and later Primals to get so I have some room on this current build, and lots more to unlock on the Altar of Rites, so hopefully I can push a little further. I may have to look into the Death Nova build, which seems better. I am having more fun than I ever have with Diablo III and loving my first try at the necro.

All this D3 talk got me to reinstall this weekend, and I created my first Necromancer in D3 since buying the DLC. A Season character, so I have to go through the campaign with no help from the stash or anything.

This art style is so different from Diablo 1, 2 and 4! Iā€™d forgotten just how different it was until I played it again. I rescued Decard Cain and Iā€™m now going to go after the Skeleton King in the Cathedral.

The combination of the writing, the voice acting, and the art style give this one a completely different feel from the rest of the series. Iā€™m definitely not feeling any warm fuzzies having to play through this stupid story campaign again, thatā€™s for sure.

Yeah, D3 story is as dumb as a bag full of hammers. Tragic how they killed off Deckard Cain by some absolute nobody you kill in chapter 2 easily. So stupid dumb story game.

Adventure mode is the only way to play now.

Yes, a seasonal character will not have a stash at first (though subsequent characters will have access to your seasonal stash), however, i donā€™t believe youā€™re obligated to do campaign. You should be able to switch to adventure mode or challenge riftsā€¦

Seasonal characters take up slots like any other, right?