Diablo III

Ok I’m looking for Tyrael’s sword fragment in the goat men cave, in Diablo3 this means I’m almost done the game right?

Lulz.

A few other things that you probably already know about, but helped me a ton doing them faster:

Improvements in the Altar of Rites like +25% move speed, +1 progress orb drop per pack (and later on even auto pickup of the orbs).

Max out movement speed with Paragon Levels first.

I like to use gear that emanates on my follower. Equip them with the legendary item where they can’t die and give them the items that give you double length duration from pylons (helps a ton when you can get the conduit or power or other powerful ones), and I like the one that spawns an extra elite pack at pylons (helps you kill more packs for more progress orbs). Sorry I don’t recall the names of the gear here at work.

Not sure if that helps or not, but just a few things that helped me a lot being new to this all again recently.

Those are great points, especially the emanating items for your Templar. You are using the Templar, right? There is zero reason to use anyone else, especially on Hardcore.

I think you mean Crusader.

He means the Templar.

(The other two followers you can opt for in D3 are the Scoundrel and the Enchantress).

Of all the classes in D3, the Crusader is the one I simply find unfun. Just don’t like it.

The Templar is the best companion hands-down, with his heal and save-from-death abilities.

Pft, all these ‘mediumcore’ players with their stacks of cheat death abilities m i rite.

Scoundrel for the deeps and never anything else.

Oh right. Those NPCs.

I tried all of the companions at one time or another, and as I usually play a Sorc or WD, DPS was never an issue. It is very easy to scale up damage, and very easy to get spike killed. I run with at least two guaranteed, sometimes three, cheat death things and sometimes a fourth that has a chance to proc.

Great tips thank you. Completed it first time after I got the extra orb upgrade.

If you are playing hardcore (or even not, if you care about survival), that legendary (follower cant die) is also a great source of damage mitigation once you combine it with unity(ring), you basically dump half your damage all the time…

I have yet to find a Unity ring this season. Usually I have several.

you playing hardcore pc? Ive probably got a couple i can give you…

Yeah, but I’m only on periodically. Thanks for the offer, but I doubt I’ll have the energy to set up a meeting. I’m really lazy.

So, @TheWombat, I’m curious what you think of the Waller ability on Elite enemies in this game. I ask you because I think you’re the only one on here who actually plays D3 Hardcore. I play the other ARPGs hardcore, but D3 hardcore doesn’t appeal to me because of the way skills unlock in the same order, etc.

But I was playing D3 yesterday and my Necro died to Waller Elite. It’s an interesting ability to give to the enemies that Diablo 1 and 2 didn’t have. I’m assuming that feeling of helplessness and despair is what they wanted to evoke with that, when you realize that you’re actually getting your ass kicked and you really can’t escape because you’re walled in.

I’m trying to think back to other ARPGs where I’m playing hardcore. I guess Diablo 2 sometimes gave me that feeling because you’d be surrounded by enemies and couldn’t get out, and something was damaging me enough that I knew I couldn’t survive. And the only two characters that could get out of it were the Barbarian with the Leap ability and the Sorceress with the Teleport ability, which is why I eventually started gravitating towards creating hardcore characters who were either one of those two.

Is it similar in D3? When you’re walled in, and you don’t seem to be doing enough damage to get them before they get you, and you think you’ll die, does that happen? What are the ways out of it? Is it the Barbarian and the Sorceress again with Leap and Teleport?

There was someone else here playing HC as well, higher tiers than me for sure. Can’t recall who though. I’m only Torment 8/GR 40 or so right now.

I play Sorc and WD, pretty much. An occasional Necro or DH. Mostly Sorc and WD. Illusory Boots I think they’re called are great to have Cubed or wear as they let you move through walls. I believe there may be something on the Rites of Sanctuary altar for this season that does that too, but I’m not sure. I usually use the boots, and of course TP. Teleport with the rune that lets you pop two of them one after the other is a life saver, especially when you combine it with something to shorten the cooldown.

Essentially, though, the goal is to not get boxed in. Even when it looks like you are not taking damage, never be in the middle of mobs for more than a second or so. Especially avoid Molten affixes (explodes in big red fiery pools of death when killed) on mobs. Ugh. My bugaboo is chasing treasure goblins into cul de sacs…

I’m playing hardcore too, I’m currently T16, GR80, though sorta stalled out at the moment because the weather here has been stormy the past little while and power failures kill more hc characters than just about anything else.

Wallers aren’t really an issue in this iteration. Illusionary boots should be a priority, and after that you can either wear them or have them cubed. They are on the altar of rites (meaning you can unlock them permanently on all characters, at all times) and it’s item T (passability), which isn’t as far down as it might seem (it’s on the far right side, 3rd row up from the bottom). I got it around step 8, as I’m mostly following this icy-viens altar of rites pathing).

Playing hardcore, you want to have at least 1, and maybe as many outs as possible. For me, playing wizard, I’ve got my teleport, I’ve got the guardian from the follower, and for a while I had the wizard passive skill that allowed for death damage. Since i went with unity/immortal follower, i’ve taken that safeguard down.

At this point, probably the single greatest threat is the extra elites spawning when i used a shrine/pylon. There’s been more than once where that’s immediately triggered guardian and I had to quickly tp out. But at this level, i just kind of accept the end will hit at some point. Damage can stack so fast, there’s literally nothing you can do to really prevent fatal damage, so your only recourse is how fast you can react to get out of there before you get it again. One day i had finished up a rift and was just taking a sec after collecting the loot to decide what i wanted to do now, and a stupid critter hit me and triggered guardian while i was in inventory. This wasn’t even an elite or anything. Just a little guy, wap, you just fake died when you weren’t paying attention…

Spike damage comes hard and fast, yeah, and you can proc two death guard things wham-bam-you dead.

One thing I learned early on though was the best defense is a good offense. I used to stack vitality and health and resistances and regen (which are still valuable of course) but I found that I wasn’t killing things very fast. The longer you stay engaged with mobs the more shots they get on you. When I switched to a more DPS forward approach, survivability went up as I was engaging enemies for a much shorter period of time. I usually run Glass Cannon on my Sorc because the increase in DPS outweighs the increased damage taken. Now, I don’t know if that works at higher tiers, but it works half way up the Torments at least.

Season complete on 3 PC accounts and two switches
Altar complete on 3 PC accounts and two switches.

I got my moneys worth from 10 years of D3. On to D4