Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

Or Karen!

Edit: doh! Beaten to it by Telefrog.

Wouldn’t it be cool for some company to open preorders for a game that then comes out the next day or week…not 6 months later. Kind of like Apple with their new product announcements. I’m sick of waiting, dammit!

several games have done surprise releases, it’s always a welcome surprise. Apex Legends was one of those, albeit a f2p one.

The example that always sticks out to me is Fallout 4. I feel like it was revealed just a few months before launch? Looking into it, it was revealed on June and came out in November, so five months. Maybe in this case it felt so sudden because I don’t remember having an inkling it was coming other than “I assume they are working on a Fallout 4” in the back of my head, maybe.

I feel duped.

This isn’t an “annoucement” you fucks. Hopefully something is happening at the VGA after all?

Digging into the rules, sounds like the prizes are … food based?

TO BE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE AND WIN A DIABLO 4 PRIZE (AS THAT TERM
IS DEFINED BELOW) YOU MUST LIVE IN AN AREA SERVICED BY DOORDASH
“FULFILLMENT PARTNER”) IN MANHATTAN, NY; LOS ANGELES, CA; CHICAGO,
IL; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; OR PHILADELPHIA, PA (EACH A “PARTICIPATING
CITY,” COLLECTIVELY THE “PARTICIPATING CITIES”), WHICH SPECIFIC
PARTICIPATING CITY ELIGIBLE LOCATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT
https://diablo4.prod.fooji.com/#delivery-zones

EDIT: Hey, I won - I think. I got a notification that @diablo tweeted me a link, I filled out my address and of course given this result (this makes sense, Doordash isn’t available for me).

Hahahahahahaha!

This is how I prefer it. I can’t stand hearing about a game years before it comes out. Don’t bother me with that stuff unless there’s something I can actually buy and play in the near future.

Wow, only 250 people got a $25 gift code, that was lucky. Looking at the prizes, I think I’m happiest with what I ended up.

Nice, congrats! I’d agree you got the better prize.

Hey, I think you should buy a lottery ticket this week. You’ve already won 2 prizes so far :)

That’s not true. While I was going through my email just now I see I won an Amazon gift card for $15 from a survey/contest I entered a few weeks ago! So it’s actually three!

Alright listen here, enough is enough you leave some for the rest of us

If you need a shiny new pc with an rtx 4090, I’ve been seeing give aways for those on twitter lately :)

Put me down for 2 bucks for the QT3 lottery pool YOU are going to buy tickets for this week. Thanks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

—> gift link: https://wapo.st/3FDqGBR

he company is incentivizing employees to “crunch,” an industry term referring to working late evenings and weekends outside of regular work hours, by promising them perks some workers say are paltry.

The best-selling Diablo series has not seen a new mainline installment since 2012, and fans have been eagerly anticipating the latest. Developers, in turn, have been afraid of disappointing gamers, and in interviews, they described a beleaguered process of trying to meet a release date that feels unlikely without many hours of overtime or cut features. The release date has already shifted multiple times, they said.

Fifteen current and former Blizzard employees spoke to The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about company operations. They described a mounting sense of dissatisfaction and malaise among employees as they endured leadership changes at Activision Blizzard and on the “Diablo IV” team. The Diablo team has been losing talent for over a year, as employees look for more competitive wages and better work conditions elsewhere, according to employees. One group of about 20 developers working on one portion of the game saw about half of its members leave within a year, according to two former employees. Blizzard did not comment on attrition on the “Diablo IV” team.

Seems to date back to Mesopotamian mythology, according to wikipedia!

Re: crunch on Diablo IV.

Jeez, just let them delay it to Holiday 2023. It’s not like we’re not used to waiting a long time for Diablo games already, and you’ll burn through less employees and still make your money.

Crunching seems okay if it’s for a week or two to reach a major milestone. “Crunching” for months isn’t really crunching anymore, it’s just oppressive work hours.

But this isn’t Blizzard of old. “When it’s done” doesn’t exist anymore. If it did, Diablo 3 wouldn’t have launched in the state it did.

I really don’t want to derail this thread, or cause an argument, but I wanted to ask:

As someone who decided to end my WoW Classic subscription and ignore all other Blizzard content when they punished Blitzchung for speaking for human rights, has anything tangibly changed in the company since then or any other recent factors that should change my attitude towards them? (I genuinely don’t know as have been ignoring all Blizzard related headlines)

If Microsoft wins their case and acquires them it might mean a different work environment / management.